What's new

Paramount+ Theatrical Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m thinking that I may drag myself to the theater if only to stand up and be counted as someone interested in this film. I’d probably rather see a decent if imperfect presentation over sending the signal that I don’t care about the movie.

When it gets closer I’ll try to see what other theaters are showing it - if I can determine that it’s being screened on a larger auditorium somewhere I’d be more willing to take the day off from work and check it out.

Agreed.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Well, this is listed as coming to the AMC theaters in my town. That's a positive as even the smallest rooms they have are not bad for movie watching. Much better than my 46" Samsung at home with several backlight LED elements already gone out, creating some dimmer patches on my screen.

But, it depends on what they get to show. If it's a directly shown DCP, then it's up to the in-house equipment, which is pretty good. If it's streamed over satellite, then... who knows.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I consider myself very fortunate to have the opportunity to see ST:TMP twice on the big screen. I saw it in 1979 at the age of 10 and hated it for not being as action orientated as the TV series. Then I was able to see it in a theater again in 1991 as part of the "Sit Long And Prosper" event with the rest of the first five films in anticipation of Star Trek VI. It was at that viewing that TMP took on an almost 2001 like experience for me. It is the Trek film that most deserves a proper wide screen and immersive audio presentation. I would be all over this Fathom Event if I thought that was the case. I'm not very interested in a satellite stream to the theater.

I was also 10 years of age when I saw it, although my viewing experience differs from yours.

I was mesmerized throughout the whole presentation. I recall specific moments of humor the most, oddly enough. Most would call it dry humor today. I was never bothered by slow pacing, bland uniforms or wooden acting as many have described it. I was too busy being delighted at seeing the crew on the big screen with an improved Enterprise!

The unfortunate part was I never got to see the ending! My father dropped me off and I sat alone while he and my step mom went to go see "10" which was playing in an adjacent theater. Of course, 10 ended before TMP, so I was plucked from my seat at some point and was left feeling disappointed for a while. It didn't bug me for too long though. As a kid, I found other things to grab my attention.

Fast forward to the late 80's when a VCR came into the family, I was able to record the TV broadcast of it! Hey, I will be able to finally see the ending now! Nope. Forgot about the whole 2 hour standard tape limit and TMP being longer than that. Heh. It wasn't until the mid 90's that I was able to purchase a laserdisc player and the widescreen version of TMP that I was finally able to see the conclusion. How did I feel about it? I confess I felt a bit "meh" but this was probably due to building it up over the years and my more adult sensibilities couldn't compare to my childhood's fascination.

This did not at all change my love for the movie, however. I do not think the ending is anti-climactic today.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It looks like the AMC closest to me is showing it on a larger screen than my even closer Regal - that looks like a strong possibility for me.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
There will be a showing near me (Greensboro, NC) so I will be heading to see it when it shows. It’ll be my first time seeing TMP on the big screen and because I want there to be a UHD release (so I can review it:) ) I will be supporting this!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
There will be a showing near me (Greensboro, NC) so I will be heading to see it when it shows. It’ll be my first time seeing TMP on the big screen and because I want there to be a UHD release (so I can review it:) ) I will be supporting this!

Great! I’m ordering tickets soon too. I’m hoping at least 3 other friends go with me too.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Nice thought, but I've been there. Being only an hour's drive from Baton Rouge, I've been to N.O. too many times to count. I only go there now when I have to.

I need to go there. I’ve never been. It’s in my list of 007 locations to visit..

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
The unfortunate part was I never got to see the ending! My father dropped me off and I sat alone while he and my step mom went to go see "10" which was playing in an adjacent theater. Of course, 10 ended before TMP, so I was plucked from my seat at some point...

And he couldn’t have waited? That’s terrible. I’d have been furious.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
No excuses!

Get out and see Star Trek in theaters today or Wednesday!!

30 minutes and counting for me! I can’t wait to see this one in a big screen!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks