What's new

Paramount+ Theatrical Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Title: Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

Tagline: The human adventure is just beginning.

Genre: Science Fiction, Adventure, Mystery

Director: Robert Wise

Release: 1979-12-06

Runtime: 132

Plot: When a destructive space entity is spotted approaching Earth, Admiral Kirk resumes command of the Starship Enterprise in order to intercept, examine, and hopefully stop it.

Great news!!

I wasn’t able to order tickets from amc or fandango yet...

http://www.treknews.net/2019/07/24/...4UKO40IFwF33TiSf23jWWVeI7Xxl1oCpEJMlvB5cznNMM

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I can't go on the 15th, I hope they add a second day as they usually do for these anniversary screenings at Fathom.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I can't go on the 15th, I hope they add a second day as they usually do for these anniversary screenings at Fathom.

I’m a bit shocked that the event is even happening.

I plan on going in the 15th.

They usually have Wednesday screenings as well.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Star Trek’s first leap onto the silver screen, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, celebrates its 40th anniversary this year and will be headed back into theaters for a special one-night engagement.

The special 40th anniversary TMP showings will happen on September 15th in theaters nationwide, as part of a Fathom Events/AMC screening.

In addition to the screening, Paramount announced at San Diego Comic-Con the potential plans to remaster the 1979 film in a 4K Blu-ray “Director’s Edition.”

We’ll have more on that possible release, as it becomes available.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture, directed by Robert Wise, first hit U.S. theaters on December 7, 1979 and stars William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Majel Barrett, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols, Persis Khambatta and Stephen Collins. The film’s iconic Jerry Goldsmith score was later used in the opening credits of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Advance tickets for the 40th anniversary screening are available on Fandango and on AMC’s website.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's a shame that they didn't give Wise the funds to do the Director's Edition in cinema-quality resolution in the first place. Here they had one of the greatest editor-directors of the twentieth century, and he was ready to help them improve the value of a key asset in one of their biggest franchises. and they nickel-and-dimed him.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m excited to go and hoping that work will finally start on the directors cut too.
Perhaps we can get a 2020 UHd de release in time for the original vhs anniversary?? Was it 1980 for the vhs special longer version?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I’m excited to go and hoping that work will finally start on the directors cut too.
Perhaps we can get a 2020 UHd de release in time for the original vhs anniversary?? Was it 1980 for the vhs special longer version?
The first video release was the theatrical cut in 1981. The longer version aired on TV in 1983, and then was released on video later that year.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m excited to go if I can swing it. TMP has become my favorite Trek film over the years.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it (I normally work Sunday afternoons) but if there's any way that I can, I'll be there - the master used on the current Blu-ray isn't bad and I suspect they'd be showing something based on that.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
One of the pages reporting the screening has now been pulled. I sent a message to find out why.

Also the link to the new reissue blu ray for the anniversary has also been pulled from Blu-ray.com..

I wonder if these were leaks and an official bigger announcement is coming soon.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Hmm...

I had posted in the other Trek on Blu-ray thread that I'd hoped they wouldn't use Fathom for any such theatrical re-issue. I guess Paramount has a deal, or is part of Fathom?

Whatever happens, I do hope it's a better presentation for TMP than the one that was done for ST-2 in my town back in 2017. That left a bad taste in my mouth towards Fathom.

However, seeing AMC list it gives me hope (they are still listing Sept 15). The AMC theaters are much better around here than the Cinemark theater that ran ST-2. We have 2 AMC theaters in town, and one has the Dolby Cinema screen I'd love to see it on - probably won't be on that, but who knows.

If this is still happening.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And if they put it on that screen it wouldn't have Dolbyvision or Atmos.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks