What's new

Standalone DVD players and subtitle placement (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
For the longest time, I've been watching DVDs on my PC. I love it, but I'm moving on to a projector, and while I intended to use my PC as my DVD player, I've become attracted to video processors such as the Miranda 4101 and the upcoming Teranex Volare, both of which require interlaced input. So, I need a non-prog player. Sounds simple enough, right?

Well, not so much. See, living in a Spanish-speaking country, most of my guests will need subtitles when watching AMerican films, and all standalone DVD players I've tested place at least part of the subtitles on the black bars when watching scope films, contrary to my PC, which keeps the subtitles ON the picture. Since I wanna mask my screen when watching stuff other than 16x9 discs, this poses a problem. So, my big question is: Are there any standalone players that place subtitles on the picture, without spilling onto the black bars?

Please help me, hardware forum, you're my only hope ;)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I have not heard of any reasonably priced set-top player that will shift subtitles up or down.

You may have to look at the projector and see if it has a vertical picture shift mode. It may halp a little bit, but still it's not a perfect solution since you want to mask the black bars on your screen.

I don't know why such a simple thing can be left out. Much like a large video buffer to eliminate layer change hiccups.

Dan

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
A week later, here I am needing more advice :p

Dan, you said you don't know of any reasonably priced players with the feature I need. Are there any players available that do, independent of price?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks