What's new

SpyTV thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Well, I watched the premiere of SpyTV on Thursday and here are my thoughts:
1. The whole "we're spies broadcasting from the middle of nowhere" idea is sooooo lame.
2. The host sucks ass and should be replaced by Bob Saget (okay, that was a joke, calm down). Seriously though, he was bad, wasn't he?
3. The content is great. I almost died laughing when the stunt driver was taking that guy on the test drive, and when the dude was the millionth customer.
Looks like a show I'll tape so I can fast-forward through the crap :)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
My thoughts exactly. The cheesy "it's-suppose-to-look-like-we're-in-a-van" set really bugged me. I think they should have one of the Lone Gunmen (now that they are unemployed) host the show. Maybe all three of them (or 4 if you count Jimmy Bond). That would make for a great show!
Bill
------------------

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
That makes three of us. The framing stuff was absolutely lame-o, but I actually laughed out loud during the ep. Much better than Candid Camera.
BTW, the only reason I watched the show was because of the weird promo/crossover with Ed. The host of Spy TV is also a regular on Ed – in the season finale, he became the host of a video prank show a la Candid Camera. After every lame prank, he would comment, “You’ve been Outrageized!” (or something like that). What I was really curious about was whether or not they were going to be real pranks or some ironic/deconstructionist satire on these types of shows. Turns out it’s pretty good (after you skip the lame-o parts. Thank you Tivo!)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Perfect for TiVo "Season Pass" material ...
Show #1 contained some of the funniest bits I've seen in years. The short bit from Korea with the guy on the exploding sidewalk had me laughing so hard, I actually fell off the couch ... my wife nearly couldn't breathe from laughing so hard. Stunt driver was also classic.
I can't wait for tonight ... I saw a preview with a surgeon & mock operation in a cheap motel room ... enter pizza delivery guy, who's so freaked out, he jumps out the window ... Hilarious!
This show is Candid Camera with an edge & a bigger budget. My only worry is that if they keep freaking people out, there's bound to be a lawsuit.
------------------

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I really like that exploding sidewalk scene too. I was hoping they would have shown more of that.
One part that got me rolling on the floor was when they clued the victims in during the supermarket million dollar win stunt, the victims where still clueless.
Reporter: "See the camera? You're on SpyTV"
Victim: "I'm on what? Spy what? Huh?"
It's such a new show that people haven't had a chance to catch on yet. With Candid Camera people new what it was. When they heard the words "Smile. You're on..." they immediately new they had been had.
I could just see the jokers trying to avoid explaining to the victims, "It's a new show...you know...like Candid Camera." :) It had me rolling.
Bill
------------------

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't it make you want to grab a camera, hit a guy in the face with a pie and say, "You're on Pie-in-the-face!! It's a new TV show".
I read that there's a lot that goes into the "stunts" to make sure no one is hurt and people are investigated beforehand to ensure they'll be willing to sign the consent form. I wish I remembered where I read that...
Too bad the host is horrible and the bits between content suck. I didn't watch "America's Funniest Home Videos" because Bob Saget shouldn't have been hosting it, or on TV for that matter.

ToddS

Stunt Coordinator
I think that the host could be funny with a better writing. He used to be on Viva Variety on Comedy Central and The State on MTV and he was quite funny. I like him alot more than Bob Saget who has never made me laugh, his HBO special was the worst one I have ever seen. I think with time he will become more entertaining. On the other hand the stunts are absolutely classic.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
I found it pretty entertaining but the host was absolutely terrible, and I hated how they would call themselves "Specially trained SpyTV operatives." Not something I would look forward to watching though...
Seb
------------------
"I deem him one of the greatest beings alive in our time. I do not see his like elsewhere. His name will live in English letters; it will live in the annals of war; it will live in the legends of Arabia." - Winston Churchill on T.E. Lawrence

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't really find the show funny.
For some reason people quivering in fear of their lives doesn't really entertain me. If it did, I could just break into people's houses and torture them in front of their families for hours and hours of fun and hilarity...
Seriously, though. I found the jokes to be rather mean-spirited. Those that weren't aimed at terrifying people seemed to be designed to bring out the worst in people.
The Korean sidewalk bit was the worst of all. Ask yourself how funny you'd find it if you had dust and dirt blown into your eyes at high speed while you scrambled for your life, terrified that you were being shelled. If someone pulled that stunt on a dog or cat, everyone would be up in arms at the cruel psychological torture.
Ha ha.
-Dave

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
I caught a glimpse of this show the other night when it was on. I found Mr. Clumsy to be a riot. They only had one little clip with him. They way he was just bouncing off things was so funny. He was also doing suicide flips whilst crossing the street.
Other than that, I didn't see anything all that special or funny about the show.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
I caught the 2nd episode & thought this was the worst piece of excrement I've seen yet on network TV. The lineup/interrogation bit was just painful to watch. And the kidney operation scene....ugh. It's like the type TV parodied on the Simpsons or something.
I won't be watching again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks