What's new

Splitting component-video output? (1 Viewer)

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
My Philips widescreen HDTV locks into full mode with progressive-scan signals, and my Pioneer DVD player doesn't do aspect-ratio control. Thus, I can't view 4:3 or letterboxed-only images in their proper aspect ratio. (Changing equipment is not an option at the moment.) I tried doing an S-video connection to send interlaced signals into another one of the TV's video sources. This fixed the aspect ratio problem, but I'm not happy with the picture quality.

I'd like to split the component-video output into two so I can use both of the TV's inputs -- one for progressive, the other for interlaced.

a) Will this visibly improve the PQ of the interlaced signal? If so...

b) I'm under the impression that what I need is a distribution amplifier. Is that correct? What is a good brand/model of distribution amp to get? All I need is one input and two outputs for component video. Price isn't that much of a consideration as long as there is no signal degradation, but I don't want to spend more than I have to either.

Thanks. :)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Raul,

Maybe you have tried this, but usually you can program the DVD player to turn off progressive scan and just send an interlaced signal. It will still travel over the component video lines, but the feed is 480i and not 480p. That might allow your TV to use other modes without adding any extra equipment.

Most any prog. DVD player I have used let you turn progressive on/off as desired.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Get an audio video switch box and connect it backward, to connect one component feed to separate component input clusters for interlaced vs. progressive.

(Use the yellow jacks for Y, the red jacks for Pr, and the white jacks for Pb.)

If you recognize line doubler problems with broadcast TV shows and VCR tapes, an iScan Pro will fix that and that has a side squeeze to display 4:3 properly on the TV.

By the way, what model of TV do you have? Let this forum know so other folks don't buy it with that irritating lock in full problem.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
Raul,

Maybe you have tried this, but usually you can program the DVD player to turn off progressive scan and just send an interlaced signal. It will still travel over the component video lines, but the feed is 480i and not 480p. That might allow your TV to use other modes without adding any extra equipment.

Most any prog. DVD player I have used let you turn progressive on/off as desired.
Thanks, but that was the first thing I tried. The interlaced signal is just distorted horizontal lines if fed into the wideband input on the TV. The problem is with the TV, which by the way is a Philips 34PW9817.

Allan: Thanks for the advice. I'll try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks