What's new

Split Optical Cable? (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Hello,

I'm wondering if such a thing exists: an optical TOSLINK cable that has two plugs at one end, and a single plug at the other end.

I'd like to use it so two sources can share a single optical input. The split end would go to the sources while the single end would run to the pre/pro.

Anyone seen such a thing?

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
No but Recoton makes an optical selector. I have not seen it in a while but I think it has 4 inputs and one output. Check best buy, radio shack, etc.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Simply splitting the cable might not work. When I hook up my CD player to my receiver I notice the PCM indicator lights up even if the CD player is idle. This means the digital units establish their digital communication right away and maintain it whether they need it or not. So two CD players for example sharing the same cable would create a real mess of the signal and the receiver would most likely be confused.

Of course I could be wrong, it's possible the optical digital signal was designed to work that way, but somehow I doubt it.

My guess a switcher of some type would be your only solution. Jason's recommendation might be worth looking into.

- Mike

Oops, I re-read your post, the DA isn't gonna help. The rat shack may work as long as the unused device is turned off.

~Jay

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Jay,

thanks for the info. The radio shack model appears to work in reverse of what I need. The description of the product says, "Use to split the fiber optic output of one source, a DVD player for instance, into two separate outputs."

I need to take the output of two sources and connect them to a single input. Do you think this unit will work in reverse? If this were coax I'm sure it would but since it's optical I'm not so sure.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
This is what I was referring to in my earlier post
Link Removed
I think this will do exactly what you are asking for and it should not matter if you have both devices on or not. Hope this helps, Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks