SPL Calbration w/ THX Optimizer instead of Avia or VE?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Geoff S, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Would saving money on buying a Avia, or Video Essentials DVD be OK, If I just use the THX Optimizer's 75dB Pink Noise to calibrate all my speaker levels with a Analog SPL Meter?

Yay, or Nay?

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

That soundtrack calibration is supposed to be good for that disc only, that is, optimized for that specific DVD sound mix.

Go for the $17 Sound&Vision Tune-Up disk, cheaper than Avia but produced by the same company, at amazon.com Here or maybe thru barnes&noble.

3. Geoff S

Hmmm. but wouldn't 75 dB be 75 dB regardless? How do they measure this?

Unfortuantely I only have $40 right now for a Analog SPL meter, so any other Calibration discs will have to wait.

I will do a combo of the THX Optimode on my T2:UE and my receiver's own test tones to find a balance before I get another calibration disc.

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

geoff,

experimenting with yr system and learning more about various ways certainly is a fun idea -- this is a hobby, right?

here's a little read that suggests why THX Optimode may not be spot-on for whole system audio. I cant speak about the video portion. Click

5. Geoff S

OK, I just tried it.

Speaker levels sound much more balanced out... however reference volume sounds way to quiet. Here's what I did:

(quick system specs: Denon 4802, BA VR-950 mains, BA VR-12 center, BA VR-10 EX, Def. Tech BP1X surrs. I did not calibrate the sub)

I kept the mains at 0db and adjusted the volume till I hit 75dB on the meter. The center needed to come about -5dB lower, the surrounds 1db up, and the EX -2dB. The reference volume came out to be -12 with keeping the mains at 0.

Bill, I read the link you posted and it states that the THX Pink noise in some cases can be as much as 10 dB off, and it sounds at least 5-10 dB off on mine. Thank you so much for this info. So for now I'll keep the levels the same, and run the volume around -07 to as low as -02 on my Denon to try to get close to what it should be.

I will invest in a better calibration disc, either VE or the Sound & Vision you mentioned next week. Thanks!