What's new

SPL Calbration w/ THX Optimizer instead of Avia or VE? (1 Viewer)

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Would saving money on buying a Avia, or Video Essentials DVD be OK, If I just use the THX Optimizer's 75dB Pink Noise to calibrate all my speaker levels with a Analog SPL Meter?

Yay, or Nay?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
That soundtrack calibration is supposed to be good for that disc only, that is, optimized for that specific DVD sound mix.

Go for the $17 Sound&Vision Tune-Up disk, cheaper than Avia but produced by the same company, at amazon.com Here or maybe thru barnes&noble.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm. but wouldn't 75 dB be 75 dB regardless? How do they measure this?

Unfortuantely I only have $40 right now for a Analog SPL meter, so any other Calibration discs will have to wait.

I will do a combo of the THX Optimode on my T2:UE and my receiver's own test tones to find a balance before I get another calibration disc.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
geoff,

experimenting with yr system and learning more about various ways certainly is a fun idea -- this is a hobby, right?

here's a little read that suggests why THX Optimode may not be spot-on for whole system audio. I cant speak about the video portion. Click

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I just tried it.

Speaker levels sound much more balanced out... however reference volume sounds way to quiet. Here's what I did:

(quick system specs: Denon 4802, BA VR-950 mains, BA VR-12 center, BA VR-10 EX, Def. Tech BP1X surrs. I did not calibrate the sub)

I kept the mains at 0db and adjusted the volume till I hit 75dB on the meter. The center needed to come about -5dB lower, the surrounds 1db up, and the EX -2dB. The reference volume came out to be -12 with keeping the mains at 0.

Bill, I read the link you posted and it states that the THX Pink noise in some cases can be as much as 10 dB off, and it sounds at least 5-10 dB off on mine. Thank you so much for this info. So for now I'll keep the levels the same, and run the volume around -07 to as low as -02 on my Denon to try to get close to what it should be.

I will invest in a better calibration disc, either VE or the Sound & Vision you mentioned next week. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks