What's new

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'm going to buy this disc. I accept that it's a formulaic Elvis movie, but that's OK with me and I do like some of those actresses!
Me too! That is why there are certain shows and films I like. Put in a good looking gal in it and I'm hooked.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Does anyone know if the BLUE HAWAII 4k release sold well enough to warrant Paramount issuing a follow-up for one of their properties?

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Does anyone know if the BLUE HAWAII 4k release sold well enough to warrant Paramount issuing a follow-up for one of their properties?
I don't know but would love to see Girls! Girls! Girls! and Roustabout. I had a 35mm Technicolor print of G!G!G! and it had the best color of any film movie I ever had. It featured my favorite Elvis song, "Return To Sender", as well!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't know but would love to see Girls! Girls! Girls! and Roustabout. I had a 35mm Technicolor print of G!G!G! and it had the best color of any film movie I ever had. It featured my favorite Elvis song, "Return To Sender", as well!
The DVD of Girls! Girls! Girls! is about the worst DVD in my collection: a disgraceful grain storm. I'd love this to receive the same 4K attention as Blue Hawaii.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I would love to see G!G!G! done next! It's one of the Elvis films I have watched repeatedly because it has such charm and Tai Ling and Mai Ling are hilariously adorable! Such great scenes from the overnight rainstorm on the porch to the apartment disaster of "The Walls Have Ears". Now I really HOPE that is the next one!

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
The DVD of Girls! Girls! Girls! is about the worst DVD in my collection: a disgraceful grain storm. I'd love this to receive the same 4K attention as Blue Hawaii.
I know, it is screaming for a restoration. Have you seen the dvd of "Paradise, Hawaiian Style"? It's even worse. I was shocked that they let it pass for a release on dvd.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I would love to see G!G!G! done next! It's one of the Elvis films I have watched repeatedly because it has such charm and Tai Ling and Mai Ling are hilariously adorable! Such great scenes from the overnight rainstorm on the porch to the apartment disaster of "The Walls Have Ears". Now I really HOPE that is the next one!
You know your Elvis movies! The porch scene was striking on the 35mm print.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Matt, another one of your excellent reviews and I think it's spot on. Spinout's an enjoyable, lightweight 90 min. ride with attractive stars, but definitely not a 5 star film. And those colors really pop! Another excellent job from the team at WBMPI.

Like you, I enjoyed seeing Una Merkel, Cecil Kellaway and Frederick Worlock in their small roles. In the opening credits it's fun to see the names of long-term MGM production team members such as: Joe Pasternak, Norman Taurog, George Stoll, Sydney Guilaroff and William Tuttle. And it appears that the Beach Shack sequence was filmed at Esther Williams' pool on the back lot.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
You know your Elvis movies! The porch scene was striking on the 35mm print.
It's definitely one that I have seen many, many times cause it cheers me up. LOL :)
Would also love to put in a request for G.I. BLUES as it's another fave with the wondeful chemistry between Elvis and Juliet Prowse and her jazzy energetic dance solo! Wow! :biggrin:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
George Feltenstein stated on this month's WB Archive podcast that the pre-orders for Spinout were "very. very empowering" and they will have more Elvis on Blu-ray in "the coming years". He starts discussing Spinout at about 35:00 in the link below.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I know, it is screaming for a restoration. Have you seen the dvd of "Paradise, Hawaiian Style"? It's even worse. I was shocked that they let it pass for a release on dvd.
No, I don't have that one and if it's that bad, I'm not missing much!

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Since we are discussing Elvis movies in addition to Spinout, I was quite surprised to read that Stella Stevens did not want to do and hated doing GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!

Stella made no secret of her unwillingness to make 1962's Girls! Girls! Girls!

In 2004 she said: "I was sent the script by Paramount to read. And I thought, 'Hm, he’s from Memphis, and so am I. That’s a good idea to put us together.' So I read the script. I wound up throwing it across the room! I thought, 'What a piece of sh**. I’m not going to be in this.'"

Even when the studio threatened to blacklist her, Stella would not back down.

She added: "I said, 'I’ll starve. I don’t care. My child will starve because of you, and we will die because of you because I will not do this junk.' So they said, 'Please reconsider', and they promised that my next film would be with Montgomery Clift. And I said, 'Oh, well, yes. Okay, I’ll do the Elvis picture. It’s only six days’ work, and I’ll just forget about it.'"

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Pamela Tiffin did an interview where she was offered 2 Elvis films (she was under contract to Hal Wallis), the first being Blue Hawaii. She turned that down. She was offered another one and she was dissuaded from doing it by Dolores Hart, who warned her against doing "Elvis movies". Tiffin went on to say that she later regretted her decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.