What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Neither the songs nor the story is worthy of the King of Rock ‘n Roll.

Spinout (1966)

Released: 14 Dec 1966
Rated: Not Rated
Runtime: 90 min

Director: Norman Taurog
Genre: Comedy, Musical, Romance

Cast: Elvis Presley, Shelley Fabares, Diane McBain
Writer(s): Theodore J. Flicker, George Kirgo

Plot: Band singer/race driver Mike McCoy must choose between marrying a beautiful rich girl and driving her father's car in a prestigious race.

IMDB rating: 5.7
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: MGM
Distributed By: Warner Archive
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: English 2.0 DTS-HDMA

Subtitles: English SDH...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
We used to have a 35mm print and what I found particularly interesting about the original mono sound mix is that his songs were noticeably several dBs louder than the dialogue. MGM made an effort and I believe this was an attempt to put more sonic punch into his music at the time.

If you listen to the mono mixes of the title tune and his other 1966 single releases (including Come What May) they were mastered VERY hot on the original 45s. This was not uncommon for pop music, and the Beatles singles were known for this. The idea was for the music to jump out from your AM radio.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
We used to have a 35mm print and what I found particularly interesting about the original mono sound mix is that his songs were noticeably several dBs louder than the dialogue. MGM made an effort and I believe this was an attempt to put more sonic punch into his music at the time.

If you listen to the mono mixes of the title tune and his other 1966 single releases (including Come What May) they were mastered VERY hot on the original 45s. This was not uncommon for pop music, and the Beatles singles were known for this. The idea was for the music to jump out from your AM radio.
Very perceptive, Bob. Thanks for the information. It makes a lot of sense.

Lucio

Auditioning
Real Name
Lucio
Why bother writing a review with such negative feelings about the film and Elvis' career. About the only objective part of this review is the description of picture/audio quality. Rating this release as a 2.5 out of 5 is more a bias against the film rather than focusing on the upgrades of the bluray from dvd. For some of us we discovered Elvis through these mid to late 1960s films so it accomplished its goal.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Why bother writing a review with such negative feelings about the film and Elvis' career. About the only objective part of this review is the description of picture/audio quality. Rating this release as a 2.5 out of 5 is more a bias against the film rather than focusing on the upgrades of the bluray from dvd. For some of us we discovered Elvis through these mid to late 1960s films so it accomplished its goal.
But that is what a review is supposed to be: a subjective analysis of one's feelings and impressions about the topic at hand. As far as why I bother to write something that isn't entirely positive, the companies who send out review copies expect to see their product covered. And it is only one man's opinion. Yours is just as valid and just as worthy.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Agreed! I know Elvis didn't particularly enjoy making many of these films but I grew up watching all of them and I still enjoy all of them. I wish people would just enjoy them for what they are: little stories of entertainment. They take us out of the daily drudgery and cheer us up, give us a few laughs and smiles with song.

I'm anxiously awaiting my copies (I bought 2!!) and it looks like they have shipped so I should have them by week's end.

Hoping we see "Speedway", "Live A Little, Love A Little", "Girl Happy" and "Double Trouble" in the near future. Hopefully, Paramount will speed things up and get more of his movies on bluray as well. "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" is in dire need of an upgrade from the horrible DVD transfer. The sound on the DVD during the songs is tinny and lacking the energy that Elvis and his co-stars put into them.

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
While many cite 1968 as the comeback year, perceptive fans will note that matters began to improve in the summer of 1966.

The June single release of Come What May/Love Letters and the return to some actual rock 'n roll on this soundtrack were a positive step forward. The upcoming release of How Great Thou Art, plus the three bonus songs on the Spinout soundtrack - including the Bob Dylan track, were a definite sign that things were changing.

Unfortunately for Elvis, the movie contracts were signed several years in advance and there were contractual obligations to meet before things could really move in a more positive direction with his career.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes

Buck Owens said, in the 1960s, he mixed his songs for listening on AM radio. He raised the treble for a brighter sound.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Agreed! I know Elvis didn't particularly enjoy making many of these films but I grew up watching all of them and I still enjoy all of them. I wish people would just enjoy them for what they are: little stories of entertainment. They take us out of the daily drudgery and cheer us up, give us a few laughs and smiles with song.

I'm anxiously awaiting my copies (I bought 2!!) and it looks like they have shipped so I should have them by week's end.

Hoping we see "Speedway", "Live A Little, Love A Little", "Girl Happy" and "Double Trouble" in the near future. Hopefully, Paramount will speed things up and get more of his movies on bluray as well. "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" is in dire need of an upgrade from the horrible DVD transfer. The sound on the DVD during the songs is tinny and lacking the energy that Elvis and his co-stars put into them.
You summed it up well. "Little stories of entertainment". I am 71 years old and remember going to the Elvis films when they first came out. I can specifically remember going to Spinout in 1966 at the Helix theater here in town. I like the Beach Party movies as well. These types of films are just a fun, silly escape for me.

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
While many cite 1968 as the comeback year, perceptive fans will note that matters began to improve in the summer of 1966.

The June single release of Come What May/Love Letters and the return to some actual rock 'n roll on this soundtrack were a positive step forward. The upcoming release of How Great Thou Art, plus the three bonus songs on the Spinout soundtrack - including the Bob Dylan track, were a definite sign that things were changing.

Unfortunately for Elvis, the movie contracts were signed several years in advance and there were contractual obligations to meet before things could really move in a more positive direction with his career.
Always well researched and insightful. Thanks Bob. I always liked Spinout and the soundtrack album. Bob Dylan is quoted as saying that Elvis’s rendition of “Tomorrow Is A Long Time” that appeared as a bonus track on the Spinout album is his favorite cover of any his songs. High praise indeed. Looking forward to receiving the Blu Ray.

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I have an Elvis section in my bluray library. I'm not under the delusion that his movies improved with age. So, your review in that regard is probably spot-on. But I collect them anyway. Some are more painful to watch than others. Kissin' Cousins, for example, would be on the list of worst movies of all time. And telling someone they shouldn't review a bad movie is ridiculous. Even Siskel and Ebert had their dog of the week and a yearly worst movies of the year.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Always well researched and insightful. Thanks Bob. I always liked Spinout and the soundtrack album. Bob Dylan is quoted as saying that Elvis’s rendition of “Tomorrow Is A Long Time” that appeared as a bonus track on the Spinout album is his favorite cover of any his songs. High praise indeed. Looking forward to receiving the Blu Ray.
Thank you! The other two bonus tracks are also outstanding.

The May 1966 sessions were the first non-soundtrack recordings in several years and they were moving in new directions. The gospel album from those sessions won a Grammy.

That said, while he usually trimmed down for each movie to look his best, that didn't happen for Spinout or Paradise Hawaiian Style. A sure sign of apathy!

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
You summed it up well. "Little stories of entertainment". I am 71 years old and remember going to the Elvis films when they first came out. I can specifically remember going to Spinout in 1966 at the Helix theater here in town. I like the Beach Party movies as well. These types of films are just a fun, silly escape for me.
Wow! That must be some great memory! The thought of going to a theater in 1966 to see one of these movies sounds like heaven. My first time seeing all of Elvis' movies was in the 80s on television and I was hooked. Loved them so much that I began collecting the VHS tapes when they began receiving re-issues in the 90s. When I watch them, they make me forget about the world around and I am brought back to that comfort of being a kid again. :)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Thank you! The other two bonus tracks are also outstanding.

The May 1966 sessions were the first non-soundtrack recordings in several years and they were moving in new directions. The gospel album from those sessions won a Grammy.

That said, while he usually trimmed down for each movie to look his best, that didn't happen for Spinout or Paradise Hawaiian Style. A sure sign of apathy!
I have an Elvis section in my bluray library. I'm not under the delusion that his movies improved with age. So, your review in that regard is probably spot-on. But I collect them anyway. Some are more painful to watch than others. Kissin' Cousins, for example, would be on the list of worst movies of all time. And telling someone they shouldn't review a bad movie is ridiculous. Even Siskel and Ebert had their dog of the week and a yearly worst movies of the year.
Yes, Kissin' Cousins certainly isn't that good, but I do like Yvonne Craig and Pamela Austin plus the title song is enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.