What's new

Ready Player One (2018) (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I Love the book. Just re-read through. I do not remember any car chase scenes in the book. Still, I look forward to this

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Let me say something outrageously unpopular; perhaps sacrilegious; but short of Williams work on Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and Born on the 4th of July, I haven't liked any of his rehashed scores since Jaws. Everything from Jaws and before, such as The Poseidon Adventure, The Cowboys, the Theme to Lost in Space and, of course, his scoring of Fiddler on the Roof. This was Williams at his best. Okay, I'll throw in Star Wars. Or, perhaps, Raiders. And maybe, just maybe, I'll give you E.T. But that's about it. 10 or 11 scores and nothing more; even though my own expertise on the piano only consists of playing some Scott Joplin and Tea for Two...but still. In terms of Oscar nominations? Williams is over the top. Its like Meryl Streep and her 20 nominations for acting; even though I've only been an Extra in a few high profile films, myself, but damn. I wish it were that easy to dismiss these resumes. But I guess its not. Or, as Gilda Radner's Emily Litella would say, "Never mind".:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It was a quick read for me too, but I was speeding through it to get it over with, as I told my friend I was going to read it. I felt obliged to finish it, otherwise I would have checked out after the second chapter.

I think you can tell a lot about the author of this book just by his writing style. The smug, winks to its intended audience(those that really love 80's pop culture) will eat it up. Well, I do love the 80's, and I despised it.

There is a big difference between Stephen King mentioning a truck driver listening to a song by 'The Ramones' on his radio in one of his novels, and Ernest Cline devoting a page built around the funeral sequence from the movie "Heathers",(what if someone reading it never saw "Heathers"? what image would the reader have in their head?) or a paragraph or more on why the main character really likes the show "Family Ties". To me it is lazy writing. A good way to fill pages with pop culture references. He might as well put product placement in there too to fill a few paragraphs on why one character prefers Coke to Pepsi.

You might not enjoy the movie version either. The author of the book is involved in writing the screenplay. Unless the screenplay credit is just a sop to him being the original author

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The first half of the trailer reminded me of the book

The second half.......:wacko:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Let me say something outrageously unpopular; perhaps sacrilegious; but short of Williams work on Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and Born on the 4th of July, I haven't liked any of his rehashed scores since Jaws. Everything from Jaws and before, such as The Poseidon Adventure, The Cowboys, the Theme to Lost in Space and, of course, his scoring of Fiddler on the Roof. This was Williams at his best. Okay, I'll throw in Star Wars. Or, perhaps, Raiders. And maybe, just maybe, I'll give you E.T. But that's about it. 10 or 11 scores and nothing more; even though my own expertise on the piano only consists of playing some Scott Joplin and Tea for Two...but still. In terms of Oscar nominations? Williams is over the top. Its like Meryl Streep and her 20 nominations for acting; even though I've only been an Extra in a few high profile films, myself, but damn. I wish it were that easy to dismiss these resumes. But I guess its not. Or, as Gilda Radner's Emily Litella would say, "Never mind".:rolleyes:
Good news for you- Alan Silvestri is doing the score for Ready Player One while John Williams is doing The Papers.

Also, yes, that is sacrilegious. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Looks great to me.

Iron Giant is one of my favorite movies so thats good.

Saw the Delorean, Freddy. what else was there?

Oh Akira's motorbike

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Let's make no mistake here. Be it John Williams (or Meryl Streep) their colossal careers only serve to excite all the more with each new entry they make to their own historic resumes. They excite because both are far from being done; they keep cranking it out; making each work that follows all the more of a marvel to watch and hear, as they go deeper into their respective artistry. It'll actually be fun to see (and hear) what two composers will pull out of their hats within the parallels of TWO Spielberg projects. Spielberg. Talk about the resume of another master. We're witness to legends in their living moments. Can't wait for it all. Hanks, Streep, Williams, Silvestri and Spielberg. May it never end.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
That trailer sure looks depressing. Will the movie be as dehumanizing as the trailer?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That trailer sure looks depressing. Will the movie be as dehumanizing as the trailer?
Depressing? I thought it looked exciting. Just like the book. The first half of the trailer was exactly as I pictured it while reading. The second half not so sure. Gonna re read it again soon as it was such a blast the first time.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've listened to the audiobook twice. So the trailer threw me briefly because I associate Wil Wheaton with Wade, the protagonist. Letting that go, I'm hopeful for the movie. Harry Potter in particular taught me value of interpretation and adaptation over literal translation.

On the second reading (listening) I appreciated that the core story is the hero's journey. Strip away all the pop-culture references, chuck out the futuristic social decay trappings, and it's a solid story with relatable and sympathetic characters. Pile on all that stuff and the movie promises to be dense and rewarding re-watch.

Finally, the intro music teasing Pure Imagination and the interstitial titles suggesting the Close Encounters tones added another layer of the referential hooks.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DQn5Y05VwAAWqun.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks