Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Real Name
Martin Dew
It’s reassuring to see more catalogue titles slowly emerging from various studios’ archives on 4K disc, and with America’s #1 movie director Steven Spielberg clearly backing the format wholeheartedly, here is part two of our Must-own Spielbergs feature with a selection of another three spinners. If you missed part one, please take a look here.
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982), 4K UHD Blu-ray, UPHE
Now this may be a controversial entry, particularly when measured up against other compelling omitted 4K choices like Ready Player One (2018) and War of the Worlds (2005), but there is something iconic about Spielberg’s 1982 yarn E.T. surrounding a young boy’s friendship with a benign and goggle-eyed alien. Almost a companion piece to the Tobe Hooper-helmed and Spielberg-produced Poltergeist (also 1982), both films manage to imprint a cultural stamp on tract-housed middle America, and while...
Continue reading...

Reactions: Neil Middlemiss

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Martin Said

“Now this may be a controversial entry, particularly when measured up against other compelling omitted 4K choices like Ready Player One (2018) and War of the Worlds (2005),”

Huh? Controversial how? E.T is infinitely more loved than either of those two films. I enjoyed both immensely but are nowhere near the brilliance of ET. It would have been controversial if you had omitted it.

Reactions: Martin Dew

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
By the way it’s Melissa Mathison, (formerly married to Harrison Ford who plays the faceless teacher in the film) not Marie.

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
“Add in a DTS:X mix with the Williams score now seeping into your overheads,”

Jaws has a Dolby Atmos mix. Not a DTS:X mix.

Dude. Proofread;)

dave_norris

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Norris
“Williams’s exhilarating melodies played by the LSO fills up the entire immersive soundstage”

The LSO played for JW on many of his scores but not this one. This was recorded at the Culver City studios (now Sony) by an orchestra of LA session musicians

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Real Name
Martin Dew
“Williams’s exhilarating melodies played by the LSO fills up the entire immersive soundstage”

The LSO played for JW on many of his scores but not this one. This was recorded at the Culver City studios (now Sony) by an orchestra of LA session musicians
Thank you for clearing that up, Dave. I found two sources online stating LSO, but clearly unverified! I've changed the text.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Huh? Controversial how? E.T
I feel if anything was controversial about ET was weh Spielberg edited the guns out of ET and replaced them with walkie talkies! This was later corrected and I believe both versions of the film where made available later.

Reactions: Martin Dew

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Real Name
Martin Dew
I think it's a wonderful film. I was surprised at the reaction in the first instalment that there was quite a bit of resistance to the film in the comments, but I know it's not to everyone's taste.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Moritz

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I think it's a wonderful film. I was surprised at the reaction in the first instalment that there was quite a bit of resistance to the film in the comments, but I know it's not to everyone's taste.
What resistance? First installment?

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
He's talking, generally, about the anti-Spielberg ranting that infected Part One of his series.

@Martin Dew - I've really enjoyed both these articles. I love it when passion for movies or movie makers is what folk build their articles on. Thank you!
I agree. These are great threads.

Again my point is that ET is pretty much universally loved so there is nothing controversial about it in that regard, despite a few minority opinions.

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I agree. These are great threads.

Again my point is that ET is pretty much universally loved so there is nothing controversial about it in that regard, despite a few minority opinions.
Yeah. I think ET is a classic but there are folk out there that don't see the appeal (they are clearly crazy) :)

Reactions: Martin Dew and Tino

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dukaribneha