What's new

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 2, 2019) [ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED!] (2 Viewers)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Without a doubt. I have been a Spidey fan since 1983 when I started reading the reprints of the original stories from the 60's in Marvel Tales. I read every issue The Amazing Spider-Man up to the end of the McFarlane run in the mid 300's. And none of the movies captured that comic book tone like the first two Raimi movies (especially the second film). In fact all of the Spider-Man films since the second Raimi film have been a "one and done" for me.

I still remember when I saw the 2002 Spidey for the first time - I left with such a big smile on my face because I really felt they'd nailed the character!

I'll go to my grave unhappy with the way they depicted the robbery prior to Uncle Ben's murder, and the organic webshooters always seemed lame, but otherwise I loved it.

(FWIW, I was fine with the shift to make MJ Peter's longtime crush. The way they handled it in the comics - with the tease how Peter avoided meeting MJ for so long - worked in the comics but obviously wouldn't work in the movies...)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'll leave my observations and in depth discussion for post spoiler embargo, but suffice it to say FFH well exceeded my expectations (which were, admittedly, a bit on the low side) and catapulted it to the top of my Spider Man movie list (which isn't that big of a deal, I haven't really loved any of the other Spidey films). More impressively, it cracks my top ten MCU list. A couple of great set pieces, some big laughs with constant humor throughout. Pretty much everything here worked for me.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Watched this last night. It was more enjoyable than the previous Tom Holland spidey movie. I still prefer the three Tobey Maguire movies to any of the new ones (and any future entries, he said ominously), probably always will. I'm a nostalgic person, Superman the Movie is still my favorite of that franchise and the first two Tim Burton Batman's rule over Chris Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. [cue gasps]

3.5 out of 5.

One large groan about the post credits scene in new Spidey

it just didn't ring true to me that the alien Skrulls could impersonate Nick Fury so perfectly, his mannerisms, posture, walk, telling Peter "Bitch please you've been to space", getting annoyed about the voicemail etc okay Fury did seem a little bit more irritable than usual but otherwise - oh bitch please! :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
What I presume from watching Captain Marvel, the Skrulls

state they can can copy someone down to their DNA by merely looking at them. Furthermore, they can do this without requiring any physical contact. This presumably involves some sort of quantum entanglement. So yes, Talos would be able to mimic Fury on a granular level, mannerisms and speech patterns included.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Except that
Talos really didn’t mimic him all that well to me and it least one other of us in this topic.
He acted out of character right from the moment he appeared in the movie.

Also there was a lot of bits in the trailer that aren’t in the movie.
Spider-Man goofing around with the police.
Fury and Peter talking about the well being of Ned after fury tranquilled and Fury calling Peter Spider-Man at the same time.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I went again this morning and again loved it.

One new thing I noticed:

Why does "Maria Hill" refer to Nick Fury as "Nick" when they're alone? It happens a few times throughout the movie. I get why she would call him that when other people are present, but when it's just the two of them, that feels like it's just to throw us off who they actually are, and not because it's natural.

Also, speaking of the final tag...a bunch of people in the audience today walked out after the conclusion of the mid-credits tag, and completely missed the end end tag. I wanted to yell for them to stay because there was more but didn't feel comfortable doing that. Why do people leave Marvel movies before the very end anymore? Don't people know by now that there will be two tags? It's especially problematic for this film, because the tag relates to events that have occurred in this film, rather than just being setup for the sequel. You don't have the complete story if you don't stay. I get why people might leave Toy Story 4 before seeing the end studio logo, but I really don't get why anybody invested enough to go to a Marvel movie would leave before the end now. It's not like the existence of post-credits sequences on Marvel titles are a secret.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also, speaking of the final tag...a bunch of people in the audience today walked out after the conclusion of the mid-credits tag, and completely missed the end end tag. I wanted to yell for them to stay because there was more but didn't feel comfortable doing that. Why do people leave Marvel movies before the very end anymore? Don't people know by now that there will be two tags? It's especially problematic for this film, because the tag relates to events that have occurred in this film, rather than just being setup for the sequel. You don't have the complete story if you don't stay. I get why people might leave Toy Story 4 before seeing the end studio logo, but I really don't get why anybody invested enough to go to a Marvel movie would leave before the end now. It's not like the existence of post-credits sequences on Marvel titles are a secret.
I figure if they're leaving before the post credit sequences, they probably won't remember what characters were up to at the end of a previous movie when they see the next one anyway.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Or they don’t care. It’s not worth sitting through ten minutes of credits for 30 seconds extra story from their point of view.

Whenever I go to the theaters, there’s always a handful of people who leave after the main climax of a film but before the last scene has drawn to a close. And there’s always someone who leaves a couple songs before the end of a concert. They got what they needed out of their night out and what they were looking for out of it wasn’t the same as what you or I were looking to get.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Or they already saw the movie and didn't want to sit though the credits again just to see the post credit scenes. The second time I saw this film I left after the mid credit scene.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Nice article, but it's a shame we'll likely have to jump through hoops to try and view it at home on blu-ray 3D. Looks like Amazon Germany is one of the only options announced so far (as per Sony's recent 3D strategy).

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The hoop you jump through is to order it from Amazon.de, which has an English language site. This and all Amazons is available through the app.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The German site has the 3D version as a reg B.
Hope that isn’t accurate.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Something that's been bugging me. This might fall into the category of "don't think about it too hard because the movie doesn't work without it," but still.

Peter was dead until about, what, 20 minutes or so before Tony died? I didn't time Endgame, but there wasn't a lot of time between Peter's resurrection and Tony's death. All of the time between those two events was a big battle.

Nick Fury was also dead for the same amount of time as Peter. So:

When exactly in the MCU timeline did Tony leave the Edith glasses with Fury for Peter? He had no way of knowing whether they would succeed in bringing back the snap victims or not, so he didn't know for sure that Peter was going to come back. And why would Tony choose Fury to give this particular item to Peter, rather than Happy, who already had a relationship with Peter?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks