What's new

Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy - Better than I expected! (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I got the Cube version of THQ's Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy (formerly titled Sphinx & the Shadow of Set), a puzzle/platformer adventure set in an imaginary world based on an amalgam of Egyptian mythology. I wasn't expecting a whole lot but I am really impressed so far.

You play as Sphinx (human/lion hybrid) and a recently mummified Tutankhamen, in separate adventures that coalesce into a single story. Sphinx's emphasis is on fighting, platforming, and exploration, whereas the Mummy has to breach traps by putting himself through all sorts of physical punishment (electrocution, fire, flattening).

The game starts out very slowly, as Sphinx tries solves a number of puzzles in a relatively small landscape, with few moves and no weapons. As you progress through the game, however, the immensity and scale of the worlds becomes clear. This is a massive game, and an adventure not too dissimilar from Zelda. The puzzles are ingenious, clever, and built into the landscape.

Here are just some.
* Lure exploding creatures from a cave to blow apart rope holding back a boulder that then rolls into a bed of lava, providing you safe passage across).
* Sneak past eyeball-on-chain guards to get through doors.
* Find a way into the mouth of a creature (whom you learn about later in one of the town's museums), then sit inside its mouth adjusting your trajectory.

The graphics and framerate are really butter-smooth (widescreen mode especially). The Cube version supports progressive scan. When I first saw the reflective floors in Tut's Palace, I was blown away. In fact, there is an entire chapter devoted to controlling the pre-mummy Prince Tutankhamen, right up to his mummification.

There is no voice acting. You can tell this game's long development cycle went into designing really polished levels, rather than employing top voice talent... guess what? It shows. A tradeoff I'm more than willing to deal with.

The music is, no joke, really gorgeous. From tender guitar ballads, to strings and melodies that evoke drama and tension, the music is pitch-perfect.

The fighting engine is not particular sophisticated.. there is no lock-on, but you do get a shield and other offensive/defensive maneuvers as you play through the first few levels. Some gamers who want a stronger fighting engine might be disappointed by the game, but the emphasis is really on exploring, solving puzzles, using your head, and vanquishing the ocassional foe.

This is a really impressive effort and (hopefully) a sign of things to come for these developers. A solid game that lacks some of the preferred elements, like 'badass' fighting and dramatic voice acting -- but sure to be a sleeper hit for gamers who like to delve a little under the radar.

Recommended.

~j

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Joseph, I had no interest in this title but now I'll definitely have to give it a try, might even pick this one up.

FWIW, another "under-the-radar" title you may want to check out it EA's Freedom Fighters. It's surprisingly good.

David

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I heard the same thing about Freedom Fighters, interesting. I like 'sleeper' titles a lot, because I can delve into them unhampered by any hype and just enjoy them on their own merits. It's harder to do that with the really high profile titles, as good as they may be.

Sphinx commits a lot of 'playbook' errors for how to make a title that will get noticed. The gameplay is subtlely absorbing but not 'in your face.' The graphics are gorgeous but lack any gimmick or flourish that might set them apart from other titles. There's no 'skater kid with attitude' sounding voice actor for Sphinx, but instead old-school text boxes, a la Banjoo Kazooie. No rock soundtrack, no anachronistic slogans, just good, solid gameplay and an immensely absorbing and fully realized world. Sounds good to me.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I checked it out on the basis of some word-of-mouth, but I was pretty disappointed. Nothing bad, but I didn't find anything too exciting, either. I ended up quitting out of boredom.

Nice vibrant graphics, though.

-Dave

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
This definitely sounds like it may enter the "sleeper" realm. (though for some people that's a literal definition!) I've heard some good things about it from people who are into less flashy (read: action-oriented) platform games. Quite a few people were also indifferent / bored with Rocket: Robot on Wheels (for N64), but I ended up having quite a lot of fun with it. Sounds like more of a niche sub-genre... the "good-natured atmospheric low-key puzzle/platformer"...

~s

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
a game not altogether dissimilar, if less polished, than Sphinx.
Well, I heartily disagree on both counts. :) I find them so different in that I have a hard time even drawing a comparison. The only similarity that I find is the third person view camera.

-Dave

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This was compared to Zelda during production. Any truth to that? I'll pick it up eventually, as I've been interested in it for a while now.

John Doran

Screenwriter
that's interesting, 'cos this is what it says in the review for the game over at IGN:

"Runs in 16x9 widescreen and 480p on GameCube; runs in 16x9 widescreen and 720p on Xbox"

i'm definitely interested in this game - thanks for the great review, joseph - i hadn't even really heard of the game until i saw this thread...

- jd

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The 'Mummy' portions of the game are similar to Sphinx's insofar as play control, but while Sphinx is a more active participant in his surroundings (read: sword/shield, swimming, special moves) the mummy is really just a tool you use to unlock the surrounding region. Electricity and fire last for limited periods of time and are used to activate devices or burn wooden gates. Sounds simplistic on paper, but the level design pulls it out of mediocrity.

This was compared to Zelda during production
The portions of the game most similar to Zelda are the dungeons and the towns. The dungeons are laid out as a series of interconnected but complex rooms/halls, hallways, and large hubs. Each room requires you to wrap your brain around how things work... by the time you finish with one room, a great sense of accomplishment behind you, you realize you have just completed a miniscule portion of a greater puzzle. And this is only after the very first mummy portion of the game (after which you switch back to Sphinx).

The towns are similar, because there are various shops lying along side streets, either for buying monsters (hehe), or arenas where you test your skill, or games to win Scarabs (Rupies, in other words); there are also townspeople to talk to, and like OoT, they are limited in what they say.

Remember, there is zero voice acting in this game, other than the ocassional 'ahh!' or grunt.

And also remember, this is a sleeper title, it doesn't have 'hit' written all over it. If you're willing to forgive some of the pacing issues in the game (the switch back and forth between two disparate storylines can be jarring at first) and the rarity of combat/fighting and just appreciate the game for what it is, then I highly recommend it. The worlds are very large, expansive, and evoke a really strong sense of place.

Better yet, the mummy gives a 'thumbs up' when he gets certain items. Any developer willing to risk the fanboy firestorm by including such a banal gesture from a wholly likeable character has earned my respect. :D

John Madia

Second Unit
For those interested, this game is now $20 at ebgames.com
I bought it and the Rainbow Six 3 companion disc which contains the 2 new Splinter Cell levels that I wanted.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Had to dig this one up.:)

I purchased this game blind at TRU for $6.50. Well worth that- I love this type of game.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
This one was good, with a few standout features. Reminded me a lot of Star Fox adventures actually-a great way to fill the time between zeldas. The Mummy sections were fantastic though, but the combat in the sphinx sections was pretty crappy. For the price though, it's definitely worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks