What's new

Speaker Wire (1 Viewer)

I've decided on AR cables to hook-up all my components, but I'm still shopping for some speaker wire. I'll be running the wire in-wall for four satellites, so I've been searching for UL approved, etc. I've found a deal on EBay for $500 foot of Monster in-wall for $137. Since I'm going to be moving within the next year or so, I'm going to be needing more wire after the move, and the lengths may be different. I figure I can sell some to freinds at my cost as they need the wire for their systems. I'm just looking for some input if it's a good deal or not? Here's a couple links on the wire. If anyone knows of a better deal for me, please help a fella out...
The wire on Monster's site
The EBay auction
All your input is welcome & needed, thanks...

An added question.

I'll be running wire about 25-30 ft through the walls to the surrounds & about 15 ft through the walls to the fronts (Energy Encore system). Is 14 Ga good enough or is there a better recommendation for what I'm trying to accomplish?

PeterOR

Auditioning
I will add my question to this thread 'cause it's a little related: That is, can I splice two wires together to make a longer wire? If so, what do I lose or risk and are there any do and don't's

Peter

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi guys!

mike - that monster wire looks really decent. since it apprantly is approved for in-wall, that's a big plus.

500 feet of that stuff for 130 bucks seems like a good deal. to compare, i bought approx 20feet of 12g monster and it probably cost me almost 40 bucks!

14g is sufficient. i would have recommended 12g if possible, but, for all practical purposes, 14g will be fine.

peter - i don't like splicing wire. unfortunately, i don't have a scientific reason as to why, but i just don't feel it makes for a "good" connection. obviously, it allows for a possible (future) break in the wire...that alone is enough to make me not want to do it. i know some recommend you solder the wire, but i still say if you don't have to splice it, then don't.

"mike - that monster wire looks really decent. since it apprantly is approved for in-wall, that's a big plus."
Thanks Ted. I was thinking the same thing, but I'm still learning :) Most places I researched for a price comparison were selling it at $0.85 a foot, so that makes it a better deal. I think I'll go ahead & buy a roll :D

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Just a comment to the splice. I HAD to splice a wire (left myself short on my final surround run). I just used an electrical connector that you 'screw' onto the wires. I didnt notice any sound difference. But I guess a good pull would take them apart. I dont have it buried to where its not accessible so if it happens I am not worried.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
for in wall use..if you splice..it should be solder and shrink wrapped since you may not have easy access to the area being connected.....

btw... a solder connection is as good as a solid piece

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks