What's new

Speaker wire (4ft in wall with non-CL) Help! (1 Viewer)

eyeage30

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Important question: If I used a non-CL rated speaker wire (because I wasn't really doing in wall), then decided to run it up through a wall to connect to a speaker.... Could I cover it with something for that 4 ft of going through the wall, do I really need to worry about it, or do I have to go buy CL rated wire and rerun everything (or buy raceways instead of in-wall for that part)? In this 4ft in wall I do cross and electrical line. I'm guessing I'm overthinking it, but it's a new house, would sure hate to have it burn down... [ATTACHMENT=130]1310094728921.jpg (7k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] In addition to this question I have another. On the other side I plan on doing the other surround, with that run I have a box on one side of the 2x4 and the speaker wire on the other. So, I'd be parallel for 2ft at a distance of 2-3 inches... then I'd cross it at 90 degrees. I'm guessing for this one I should insulate it with something just for the interference issue? I may be overthinking this stuff... but I'd rather overthink as compared to underthink

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I bought basically this to protect my in-wall USB cable install:

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/blackloom.php

You can get it at a Home Depot or other hardware store and it is cheap.

entgegnen

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
While fire-codes, etc., may require certain ratings, wiring, etc., I'd be shocked if could not solve this problem with an appropriate length of non-metallic conduit. As above, just take a look in the electrical area at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. My guess (complete guess) is that your biggest challenge is to make sure you ensure clearance around the existing electrical - and that the existing electrical doesn't become a weighed down or tethered to the speaker wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks