What's new

Speaker Selection/Setup (1 Viewer)

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings. I am a newbie in the HT arena, so I've obviously got a lot of questions as to how to set up my system correctly. Right now I've got a 32" Toshiba TV, and I'm using my XBOX as a DVD player connected through component cables. I also have a Sony DVD player, but I haven't had a problem using the XBOX so far. I'm planning on buying a Denon 3802 receiver, but I'm pretty stumped about speakers. I'm thinking of simply going to Best Buy and picking up some Cerwin-Vegas, but I have some questions. I'm planning on using the floor-standing LS-12 model for the main front speakers, the LS-5C model center speaker, and the LW-12 model sub. First of all, the LS-12 speakers don't have video shielding, so how far away from the TV is a safe disatnce? Second, does it matter if the center speaker is not at the same height as the front main speakers? If I put the center speaker directly on top of the TV or the entertainment center, it will be higher than the front main speakers. Does it matter where I place the sub? Finally, I have no idea what to do about surrounds. Are the surround speakers supposed to be satellite speakers? Also, since the Denon 3802 supports THX 7.1 (I think), does this mean I need to buy 4 surround speakers? I read somewhere someone was using the LS-8 Cerwin-Vegas as their surrounds. Is this acceptable? My other problem is that I guess I would have to put the surrounds on stands behind my couch, because my living room is pretty open; I don't think I could place them on the walls. I realize I'm asking a lot, but any information you could provide would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
Whoops...the Denon 3802 only supports 6.1...oh well...same question for this...extra rear surround?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
http://www.cheaphometheater.com has some good equipment reviews you may want to check out prior to your speaker purchase.
>> First of all, the LS-12 speakers don't have video shielding, so how far away from the TV is a safe disatnce?
A few feet should be enough.
>> Second, does it matter if the center speaker is not at the same height as the front main speakers?
Ideally you would like to have 3 identical speakers across the front with each tweeter at the same height. You may need to experiment with slightly angling the center channel towards the listener (otherwise it will sound like the ceiling is talking to you).
>> Does it matter where I place the sub?
Sub placement is important if you want a smooth bass response. I would recommend placing the sub in the corner that's furthest away from any room opening (as a start). Try the other corners and choose which one you like the best.
>> Are the surround speakers supposed to be satellite speakers? My other problem is that I guess I would have to put the surrounds on stands behind my couch, because my living room is pretty open...
Ideally they should be from the same line of speakers as your mains (same tweeter and midrange). There are two options... you can get dipole surrounds or direct radiating surrounds. Dipoles are mounted on the wall and fire sound towards the front and back wall at the same time. These are excellent at reproducing diffuse effects (rain, clapping, etc.). Direct radiators (like your typical speaker) will fire most of it's energy forwards. These are good at reproducing discrete effects (gun shot, someone talking, plane flybys, etc.). THX's spec calls for dipoles...

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
My other problem is that I guess I would have to put the surrounds on stands behind my couch, because my living room is pretty open; I don't think I could place them on the walls.
You'll find a lot of people do that... although I wouldn;t rule out the rear wall just yet- even if it is far away. I find the rear sounds to be much more pleasing if they are resonably diffuse: and there is no better way to do that then to place them a decent distance away from you.

If you do end up with stands- try to make sure they aren't directly behind you (close to you)- as the localized surround effect isn't as nice as a slightly diffuse one.

I would say to try to get the rear speakers AT LEAST as far away as the front speakers are from you.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks