What's new

Dolby Atmos channel level is much higher almost breaking my speakers.... (1 Viewer)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I have recently bought a PS5 with Dolby Atmos capability. I have a Denon receiver capable of said audio format. When I view a UHD movie the Dolby Atmos track is such an increase in volume that it sounds like I'm going to break my speakers. As I have a 5.2 setup, is it a mistake to select the DA option on the disc or is their a setting to change channel volume based on audio track selected? If this has been asked before forgive me.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I have recently bought a PS5 with Dolby Atmos capability. I have a Denon receiver capable of said audio format. When I view a UHD movie the Dolby Atmos track is such an increase in volume that it sounds like I'm going to break my speakers. As I have a 5.2 setup, is it a mistake to select the DA option on the disc or is their a setting to change channel volume based on audio track selected? If this has been asked before forgive me.

Atmos in and of itself should not affect the overall loudness of the track as it merely represents the addition of object-based encoding over Dolby True HD. That said, there can be pronounced differences between the mixing levels of one title vs another.

I would suggest either level matching your speakers to 75 dB using an SPL meter or re-running Audyssey, which should accomplish the same thing. If large variations remain in mixing levels between different titles after this then, as John R suggested, just adjust the master volume as needed for comfortable listening.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Yes but dialog is more difficult to hear, and the subs sound like they are bottoming out even at lower volumes. When I switch to normal 5.1, it sounds clear albeit with a smaller soundstage.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We'll need more info and time to figure out what's happening. Simply put, that shouldn't happen. Theoretically, on a 5.1 system there should be no advantage to Atmos soundtracks. However, I have found that Atmos soundtracks can produce a more immersive soundfield with a 5.1 system, and the technical details of how home Atmos works supports this possibility.

It appears there is an aspect of the calibration of the system that is producing vastly different levels playing Atmos compared to non-Atmos. That really shouldn't happen, and nothing is coming immediately to mind that would cause that. The problem is, surround receivers are very complicated and it's easy to simply set them up wrong.

What model is the receiver, and would you provide as much info about the system (speakers, sub, etc.) as possible?

How are you changing the soundtrack?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks