What's new

Speaker and DVD questions (1 Viewer)

RandyH

Auditioning
I have 2 probably simple questions/problems:
1. My home came with speaker wire built into the walls. A couple of the wires are too short to connect to my entertainment center. Can I just add same type speaker to the existing wire to lengthen?
2. My DVD Player says it is ideal to use the optical cable hook up to my reciever. My Yamaha reciever doesn't have an optical jack. Can it be converted or should I just connect without the optical?
This site is great.....thanks for the help
RandyH
[email protected]

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
1. Sure. Just stagger the splices by a few inches so that if your electrical tape comes off you don't short them out.

2. If you want to use Dolby Digital and/or DTS, you need a S/PDIF digital connection to the receiver in the form of an optical Toslink connection or coaxial digital connection.

If it has coaxial digital but not optical, you can buy a converter.

Otherwise, you need a Dolby Digital/DTS decoder. If you have 5.1 inputs on your receiver, you can buy a DVD player with it built in. If not, you'll need to upgrade to a newer receiver.

Of course, if you're content with pro-logic you can set the DVD player to down-mix to prologic and use analog connections; although that would be sub-optimal.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Consider using those electrical twist caps to add to your speaker length. They won't leave the gooey adhesive like tape does and will also shield wires from making contact. I used to go so far as soldering the wires and using the heat shrink wire covers. Too much work. The caps are great.

On lengthening the cables the best way would be to solder the connections and use heat-shrink tubing over the splice. A crimp butt-connector, or the "twisties", would be easier but not as good an electrical connection.

L8r,

Justin B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks