What's new

Speaker advice for 1st HT (1 Viewer)

Victor_Baeta

Auditioning
I'm in the process of setting up my 1st HT. I have the Yamaha HTR-5490 and now am having a hard time deciding on speakers.

Any thoughts on the following would be greatly appreciated.

The room has hardwood floors and is approx 13' X 18'X 8' ceiling. I want to stay under $2K preferrably closer to $1500.
It will be used roughly 60% HT and 40% music (Jazz, Dance, Rock)

The packages I'm considering are:
Axiom EP175, M50ti, QS4 & VP100 @ $1500.
Diva 4.1, C3, 2.1 @ $1200.
Diva 6.1, C3, R3 @ $2000.
Rocket RS750, RSC200, RS250 @ $2200.
And finally the new HTD Level3 "Z combo" (front and rear towers) @ $1200.

Is there any advantage to having the same size speakers front and rear?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Probably no advantage having the same size speaker. But you could get a more matched/integrated surround sound effect using identical speakers throughout.

But if you use timbre matched speakers of different sizes you'll get the similar effect and save money. I think the 40% of music will benefit you more if you went with cheap matching surrounds and the rest on mains.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Victor,
it sounds like whatever you end up with, you are going to have to devote some time to room accoustics.
those hardwood floors might pose a problem.
i'm sure other with more knowledge in this area will chime in soon.

i've heard a Rocket system (250's as L & R, with a 200 center) and can tell you they are some impressive speakers, both asthetically and sonically. the 250s i felt were better suited to HT than music, but i would take it on faith that the 750s would most likely shine in both capacities.

i'm not familiar with the model of Yamaha, but i will tell you this- i was using an Onkyo 600 with the Rockets i had.
sounded good...much better than what i was upgrading from certainly. but when i had the opportunity to try a NAD reciever with the Rockets i was startled at the difference.
it was almost like i suddenly had different, even better speakers.
this phenomenon reoccured just this last weekend.
this time i was trying out a set of Ascend Acoustics with an HK520 (no el cheapo reciever that) and got acsess to another NAD.
same result.
it took an already incredible speaker and set it on another level.

just a thought.

BTW, i would also highly reccommend the Ascends.
truly outstanding speakers that would come in well under your budget.
they aren't anything special looks wise, but they don't look as bad as on the web-site.
sound-wise, for some material at least- especially music, i actually prefer them to the rocket bookshelfs.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Victor, if you were seriously looking at the Rockets and wanted to keep the cost down, you cold consider stepping down to smaller mains and the smaller center channel.

... just a thought.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Here's a little different recomendation. Take a look at the sudio series from JBL, especially the following setup:

S412P Mains (4-way w/ a 200w 12" powered sub in each speaker, $776/pair at harmanaudio)

S38 surrounds (3-way bookshelf w/ 8" driver, $300/pair at harman audio)

S38 back surrounds (same as surrounds)

S Center (Matching 3 way center, $130 - $200 online)

This would be a great full 7 speaker setup w/ amazing bass response for your 40% music because of the powered subs built into the S412Ps. It could come in as low as $1500, or even lower if you went w/ a 5 speaker setup instead of 7.

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the Axiom as well. Some others you might consider are Totem Dreamcatchers, B&W 600/601's, Energy C3/C1's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks