just a newbie looking for some advice on my 1st HT venture

iami

Grip
Real Name
Sean
I'll give you guys a quick rundown of what im looking for in my home theatre, and hopefully i can get some feedback from all your expertise.

Budget: $4500

Components/candidates
TV:
Sony KDS-50A2000
-looking for clear picture, deep blacks, and good sdtv playback.

Receiver: (sub $1000)
Denon AVR-2807
Onkyo TX-SR647
Yamaha RX-V2600
Pioneer VSX-72TXV
-Looking for 2 hdmi inputs, 1080p, upconverting analog inputs to 480p (or does that even make a difference?), phono input, easy to use and futureproof

DVD player:
Phillips DVP5960/37
-upconverting dvds to 1080i worth it? or a waste of an hdmi cable

Speakers:(sub $800)
Onkyo SKS-HT240
Intimus 422/S-8
Polk Audio RM6800
-I really know nothing about speakers. Help! Im looking for something that'll deliver realistic surround sound and deep base for movies. any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Blu-ray/media player:

Playstation 3

Universal remote (sub $200)
Logitech Harmony 720
-looking for something that will handle everything, and look cool. Will this work with my ps3?

So thats about it. Im a film enthusiast who's new to all of this, but I've done some homework and these are my final candidates. I would love some help! $5000 is definitely my roof for the complete theatre. Thanks again!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
What are the dimensions of your room?

TV: also consider the new JVC D-ILA sets
Reciever: my first choice on your budget would be the Denon AVR-2807, next the Yamaha RX-V2600
DVD Player: Oppo 971, best budget DVD player on the market
Speakers: On your budget, you may want to consider the HSU Ventriloquist VT-12 ($199) satellite speakers plus HSU STF-3 subwoofer ($599), you can upgrade the speakers over time
HD Player: Avoid Blu-Ray, I would recommend the Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD Player
Universal Remote: excellent choice, personally I use a Harmony 880

Other items to budget for:

Surge Protector: I recommend TrippLite or APC surge protectors, $50-$100
Audio/Video cabling: monoprice.com, should cost under $40 for all of your HDMI and audio cables
Speaker Cabling: 100ft 12AWG or 14AWG speaker cabling from Home Depot, $30
Subwoofer Cable: $10-$25
Speaker Stands: your call

Last but not least, I'd recommend purchasing a calibration DVD such as AVIA or DVE.

Enjoy your new system!

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
If you think you will use the PS3 for gaming mostly, then sure get it. Don't count on the Blu-Ray format to pull through as the winner of the format war. Honestly it is difficult to direct anyone to make a purchase on a HD format anyway, because there is no certainty that one will win over the other at this point, though at this point things look very grim for Blu-Ray as a HD movie format, but that doesn't signify the downfall of the PS3 in any way, as it leaps bounds over the Xbox 360 in technical aspects in just about every departement aside from a little less on the graphics card, but it compensates with the process it takes multithreading.

iami

Grip
Real Name
Sean

11ft7inX10ft8in

not the biggest room, but thanks for all the help!

iami

Grip
Real Name
Sean

11ft7inX10ft8in

not the biggest room, but thanks for all the help!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro