Speaker decisions...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JimHagstrom, Apr 20, 2005.

1. JimHagstrom

JimHagstrom Agent

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-56Txi, 57H DVR, 2 Infinity RS3, Infinity CC3 center speaker, and a JBL 150 watt sub. The speakers are just what is left of other systems I'v owned so it is time to put some new speakers in the HT room. Room is roughly 15 x 18.

I'm considering:

Infinity, Ascend, Axiom, Paradigm and will spend between $1000 and $1500. I'm also looking to find out what matching models numbers to use.

Just need the 3 front, 2 surrounds, and 2 rear surrounds. I already decided on a Dayton 250 watt sub.

I've looked into the Infinity Beta 50 and Beta 20s, Axiom M22ti,M3ti, QS4, and VP100 (is the 150 worth the extra money?).

Any comments good our bad will be very much appriciated.

Thanks,

Jim

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Have you looked at Onix Rockets at AV123.com

Call as they have a lot of new things coming in and are giving great package pricing on other models going out...
    Good luck with what ever you wind up with...

3. JimMIT

JimMIT Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    I'm partial to Paradigm, though the other speakers you mentioned have their followings as well. I'm not familiar with the Infinity speakers you already have, but since you already have/plan to use the Infinity center channel speaker, I'd lean toward sticking with Infinity. It's important that your front three speakers (mains and cc) be timbre matched for a seamless soundstage. However, if you're willing to get new speakers all around, I'd lean toward Paradigm -- in your budget, the Performance or Monitor lines. But that's me; I'm familiar with them and like them. That said, I've not heard a lot of negative comments about Ascend, Axiom or Onix Rockets. Another to consider is PSB.

4. JimHagstrom

JimHagstrom Agent

I am getting 7 new speakers, but if I have to spend a little more I can just us my RS3 as rear surronds until I can get ones that match the system.

Problem I have with most of these speakers is there is no place to hear them around here. So with Axioms 30 day trial they are looking like the way to go.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I believe Ascend has a similar 30 day "trial" period, in which you can return them minus a restocking fee.

You can also check www.audioenvy.com for owners in your area of Rockets and Swans.

6. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I think all the internet companies will give you 30 days and I have not heard of any re stock fees unless you lose a box or something....

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Ascend states that there is a restocking fee on the website. Axiom doesn't charge a restocking fee, but you do have to pay the return shipping, same with Onyx.

8. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

Of the speaker you have listed, I own the Axiom M3Ti and vp100. They make a very nice front three and I wouldn't have any reservations recommending them. My wife has used Paradigm Titans in her music room and was very happy with them.

I also own Boston Acoustics CR85's, CR75's, CR95's, VRC, CRC, as well as Energy C-3 (I have way too many speakers!). The Boston's are my favorite, but the energy come in a very close second. IMHO, both of these speaker lines offer a lot of "bang for the buck".

Good luck! It's hard to go wrong with any of the speakers you are considering.