What's new

Sound problem with Sony HT-6800DP (1 Viewer)

Vikas Dua

Auditioning
I just bought SONY Home Theater HT-6800DP - 840W 6.1 channel

I hooked it up to the DVD Player(included) using Digital Coax Cable(included) and it worked. But when I increase the volume to 40(max 70) i can hear the sound, but below 40 it is hard to hear anything from the speakers. I can increase the volume to almost max and not blow out anything. I was expecting that after buying an expensive system and with 840 Watts of power, I would be getting better output and sound quality. I tried various configurations mentioned in the manual but to no luck.

Is this a problem with the equipment or can it be caused due to improper installation. I use the test function on receiver to test output from all speakers and they work as they should.

Any help is appreciated from all you guru's out there.

Thanks,

:frowning:

John S

Senior HTF Member
You never really hit to way to loud level?
How big is your room?

That model, has some telling info in it's specs about it's real performance, no matter what numbers they cursory give on it.

1st, all is listed at 10% THD, rough....
2nd, it lists it's total max power consumption at 220watts, you cannot get 5x120watts of of only 220 watts max power consumption.

I have had some experience with this one, the owner returned it and got an Onkyo 770 system, less money and it was no contest on performance.

But once again, how big is your room? I would think in a small room, it could be plenty loud.

Vikas Dua

Auditioning
Thanks for you reply John

My Room is about 14' X 22', but I have my couch dividing the room into almost half and the surround speakers are placed on sides of couch.

So you really think this is a problem with the system. What do you think should I do. Would replacing it with other piece from same manufacture help? May be this piece is bad or something?

Thanks again for your input.

Nick Jablome

Agent
For Sony receivers you have to turn it up pretty loud. Typically on my STR-DE895 I have to turn it to about 60 out of 74 (which is the max), to get it to be pretty loud watching movies.

Vikas Dua

Auditioning
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but can someone recommend a decent system for about 500-600 bucks. I am thinking of returning this one and getting something better than this atleast in sound quality.

I am thinking of buying separate components and assembling them for better performance. Your input will be valuable guys.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks