What's new

Sound Dropout on DVDs, player or receiver (1 Viewer)

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I have an Onkyo TX-SR500. About once or twice when playing DVDs through it, the sound will cut of for a split second, just long enough to glance and see that where it usually displays "D Digital" or "DTS" is blank, then pop back up and remume normally.

It does not do this for other audio sources. I have the DVD player hooked up with a digital coax, and this only statred recently. I was thinking about getting an optical cable to see if it was a signal problem, but I've had this setup for a while with no problems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Dean_S

Second Unit
It sounds like this might be happening at a layer change on the DVD. I've seem one DVD player that has a real problem with layer changes (the player is obviously not working corrctly) and would freeze the picture for up to 1 minute while changing. During this time the digital audio signal might be shutting down for too long for your recv to know whats going on. I've noticed a similar thing when watching HD OTA with optical to my HK DPR recv. Whenever a commercial comes on the recv quickly shows the message unlock (I assume this means on audio signal) and then switches from DD to Pro logic II. It does the same thing again (in reverse) when the DD show resumes after the commercial but it happens quickly with no loss of sound.

You might try another DVD player and see if it helps. I don't know if a dirty lense can cause layer changes to go more slowly???

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like the player may be having some problems. My 6 yr old Sony started doing the same thing randomly. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and it seemed to go away, but I ended up buying a new player anyway.

If it's a layer change problem, it will happen at the layer change spot every time. If the problem is random, it is probably the player. If it is a digital signal problem, switching to an optical cable might not change anything, but it's definitely worth a shot.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
It is a 5 year-old Sony that is hooked to the receiver. It will display what layer the disc is on, so I know it is not the layer change, and the Onkyo has not lost the signal on the switch in the past.

It is a bit of a relief to know that it is probably the player and not the receiver. I've unplugged it as suggested, and haven't had another drop out going between scenes, but won't have time to watch a full movie until the workload dies down. :frowning:

Much thanks for the assistence so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks