What's new

SOPRANOS Season 6: Season Finally!!!.. Episode 12: "KAISHA" (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Over-the-counter cough medicines often contain alcohol, sometimes in surprising concentrations. (I'm told you can cop a pretty serious buzz chugging NyQuill if you can stand the taste, and many alcoholics have to be careful even when buying mouthwash, since most common brands are very high "proof".)

And who knows what was in her "all natural" "herbal" tea? There's a reason that "tea" was a euphemism for marijuana, after all, and there are plenty of homegrown plants that contain alkaloids and other mildly poisonous compounds that can also produce mind-altering effects, not all of them illegal. You can grow them in your garden, buy them from the guy up the street or order them over the internet (if you do a little digging around.) Anyway, that's what I've heard. :D

Regards,

Joe

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I always thought the 'tea' ('T') euphemism for pot was from the first letter in 'THC', the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana. But, then I may be wrong.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
vito1.gif

I realize there are those who are getting upset at others for
posting negative opinions about this season....

...but isn't that why we are here? This thread has been created
so we can share weekly observations about the progress of The Sopranos.

Perhaps those who had negative opinions at the beginning have
better opinions now. Perhaps it's vise-versa. The point is, if people
are pleased or disappointed week after week, they have a right to express
that opinion here as long as no-one is attacking anyone else's view in the
process.

So please excuse me if I freely express that I have been very disappointed
with this season and it's first act finale which ended up on the same bland
note as every other Sopranos season finale.

The picture above pretty much sums up how bad a once great series has become.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ron. Love the animated image, LOL.

I definately don't mind the difference of opinions. We're all entitled to our own plus it makes this whole discussion very interesting. I would say that the problem here seems to be with some people not being able to "agree to disagree" and move on.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

You're overthinking the problem. :) The kind of people who referrred to pot as "tea" in the 40s and 50s had mostly never heard of tetrahydrocannibinol or its abbreviation. (There being relatively little overlap between chem majors and jazz musicians at the time. ;)

It was called "tea" because it is dried and leafy and looks like - well - tea. ;) Or did you also think it was sometimes called "herb" because herb starts with an "H", the second letter in "THC", rather than because it looks so much like oregano or dried parsley. :D

Also it was called "tea" because some people actually did add it to infusions with more pleasant-tasting leaves to make drinkable teas, just as they baked it into brownies and cookies. (All still common practice among medical marijuana users, from what I understand. In part because these methods all avoid the tell-tale smell of burning leaves.)

Regards,

Joe

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
That same image Ron posted above is on the actor that played Vito's website. Not sure why you would want to be famous for that, but...He Wuz on the Sopranos :) Eight more episodes then we can all find something else to complain about. ;)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

I don't have a problem with the passage of time with Chris/Juliana per se. The imagery in Sopranos and the "hidden message" is never very hidden or subtle. Chase makes his points with a 2x4 across the mouth. However, the problem with the passage of time during the montage was two-fold. First, the montage device seemed out of place in the show as I can't recall it ever having been used before and in a season which played out very slowly, seemed to be in contrast, very rushed. Second, the passage of time for Chris/Juliana also applied to several other storylines - Phil/Tony, unrest in Phil's crew, Carmela and the spec house, AJ and Blanco.

If the montage was merely to make the point about the slippery slope of trying just one taste, I get it. But to me it was just the plainest example of how the finale was rushed after a season that took a long time to develop. There were many other bits of dialog that covered the slippery slope -- Chris/Juliana move from a purely sexual relationship ("I think about effing you all day") to a purely drug using one as they no longer can have sex, being the best example.

GregClarke

Stunt Coordinator
When Tony had privacy in Phil's hospital room, I'm sure I heard Tony say something like "Now listen to me" in a murderous tone. Then when close to the bed, he reconsidered and sat down and started to talk.
Did anyone notice this? I loved how this showed his new duality in one scene. Great writing and acting.

KeithAck

Auditioning
Another good Christoher line this week: "We can watch a DVD. I got the 50 Cent movie in the car...... They were givin' it away at the car wash." I got a chuckle from that one.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the title of this thread currently says

" SOPRANOS Season 6: Season Finally!!!"

is that supposed to be finale?

if not, what is meant by finally

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i thoght the finale was fine, it's just all the episodes that came bofore it was not that good :P. and yeah, it was totally rushed. like in one episode we get introduced to the real-estate gf and we see Chris getting tired of his wife. wouldn't the wife thing have been much better in earlier episodes for the sake of build-up? it makes you wonder if Chase writes from episode to episode with any long-term ideas.

the flashback where we zoom in on Margulies' face and then go right to the meeting with Chris was straight out of Lost. the only thing missing was that 'wind' sound effect :)

Bart

Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ron,

I agree with what you said about having differences of opinion, but as a big fan of the show who likes to read this thread to see what people are saying about the deeper meanings, speculating on what might happen next, and so on, I find the posts in which people crap all over the show week after week take something away from my enjoyment of the the episodes and the thread.

As a comparison, if you have a group of people sitting around a table talking about their favorite show or movie, recalling their favorite scenes and lines, and discussing the subtleties of the production or art direction, it would be very annoying if one person at the table continuously expressed his disdain for it. It just sucks all the fun out of the discussion for everyone else. After a while everyone would be thinking, "OK, you hate it, we get it, now can you please just let the rest of us enjoy the conversation we're trying to have?"

I guess everyone has different reasons for reading these threads, but I often wish every television show had two threads: 1.) an appreciation thread for people who actually enjoy a show week to week and want to talk about new things that happened, try to guess what might happen next, and generally enjoy a discussion about the show with other fans and 2.) a bitch and moan thread for people who never really got into the show in the first place, liked the show initially but think it has since gone downhill, or just have some other reason to express their displeasure with it. Guess which one I want to read.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
We had this debate with Enterprise. Eventually we had a "fans Only" thread situation, which became a problem, for me at least, because I liked some episodes a lot and detested others.

Nobody's forcing anyone to read every single post in the thread. I skip over some of the "deeper meaning" posts, because imho they can border on the side of pretentious. If one poster in particular is bothering me, I'll block them from my HTF experience, lol. Problem solved. More often than not, however, it's a simple matter to measure the tone of a post from the first few words. If I feel I'm going to strongly object to the rest of the post, I'll skip it. It's no big deal to do that, surely? :)

OTOH, there are posters I disagree with but who give good, intelligent arguments to back up their views, or who don't but show some wit. I'd hate to see these people move off in favour of a separate "lovies" or "haters" thread. :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well I have alway loved the Sopranos. However, I think it is more than fair and accurate to say Chase had some problems this season. Especially with the choices he made vis-a-vis how much screen time to devote to certain aspects and characters, at the sacrifice of others. Too much wasted time thru most of the season, with a resulting rush here at the end. It needed more balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks