What's new

Sopranos Season 2 - Full specs and review (1 Viewer)

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
Contrary to what some thought in an earlier (raging) debate, there is NOT a DTS track on this set. If anyone passes on it because of that, it's their loss. Have a look.
Another wonderful set, and for what I think was the best season of the three so far. Anyone else like Season 2 best?
It'd be easy to put out spoilers, but I think with Christopher's screenwriting aspirations, and Pussy's disappearing act, this was one of the most solid seasons to date. Can't wait for Season 4 to start.
------------------
Kyle
www.toldyouso.net

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Season 2 was the bomb. Richie Aprile was the best character they had so far! There are a few episodes I cannot wait to see again when the set comes out - the one with the "executive" card game, and the final 2 episodes (especially the finale). I think Season 2 was slightly better than Season 1, and Season 3 perhaps a notch below.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I had not previously watched any of this series, but last week watched the first episode on DVD. Suffice to say, I own the first season and will get the second soon. This is good stuff.
Glad to hear some of you think season 2 is even better than the first season!
------------------
Scott

Blu

Screenwriter
I dont' know what they decided to do with the third season but they left tons of storylines hanging or open or just dropped them altogether! Kind of ticked me off!!!
It is going to be a long wait till next fall for the 4th season!!!

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the third season finale was quite an unclimatic finish, BUT, that eleventh episode, with Chris and Paulie lost in the woods might've been the Sopranos finest hour.
------------------
Kyle
www.toldyouso.net

Blu

Screenwriter
No Doubt!! I can only hope they follow it up next season!
That could really spell trouble with the Russian mafia!!
A Godfather style gangwar would rock!

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I don't know about you guys, but I liked the fact that they didn't tie up all the loose ends in one episode. I like how the show can break away from traditional tv.
For me, the final episodes of seasons 2 and 3 were a let down. The second to last episode of season 2 was the highlight of the second season, and the third to last episode of season three was the pinnacle of the third season.
I wonder if they will continue this trend in future seasons.
------------------
Please vote for a Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003753.html
[Edited last by Tom B on October 21, 2001 at 10:56 PM]

brian a

Second Unit
I just can't wait for the bloodbath that will be the last show when they pull the series. Gandolfini is still leaving isn't he?
brianca...

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator
DTS means nothing to me. The show I believe is recorded in Doby Surrond and remixed just for the dvd's. I've seen all 39 and will probably get this box set just to have it. I do agree that the Pine Barrens is the best episode so far. I just wish season 4 started before September 24, 2002.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
There's a difference, though, between "tying up all the loose ends in one episode" and "leaving about a sizeable number of the plots started in the third season unresolved"...and yes, the lost in the woods episode is FANTASTIC. I'd rate the first two seasons as excellent and I'd give the third an incomplete, pending resolution of those threads.
Although I'm not one for tweaking product after it's out, I wouldn't mind if they went back in and did some more FX work on Tony's conversation with his mother in the season episode of the third season. The CGI was unnatural looking. If you told someone that clip was from a horror film, they would have thought her head was going to spin 360 degrees at any moment!

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Yeah, I agree 100%, the CGI on Livia was hard to look at. If they were going to attempt something like that, they should have made sure that it was at least convincing looking. It wasn't, it needs to be re-done. I can over look it however, given the overall quality of the show.
------------------
Please vote for a Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003753.html

M

MaxY

Has anyone actually seen the DVDs yet?
I am wondering if the video looks any better this time out. The Video on Season one was not exactly the best.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Video on Season 1 is just fine to me.
With almost 900 DVD's I don't bother with cable TV, so I'm just watching Sopranos a bit at a time. Last night I watched "College" and "Pax Soprano", I think was the next one after "College". The 1st 2 eps on disc 2.
"College" impressed the hell outa me. The rather naive attitude by the daughter. Tony's attempt to figure out how to handle her. The priest and the gangsta's wife. The revelation that the therapist is a woman. The flock of ducks flying overhead after Tony took care of the "rat". I guess he thought they might be his ducks. The look on his face was pure acting artwork...grand.
I had a good yuck when Carmela and the Father sat down to watch the DVD for Remains of the Day. This ep was filmed about 3 years ago, right? But the DVD for that film comes out for the first time ever on 11/6/01, if I'm not mistaken.
Bootleg?
biggrin.gif
Oh, Father! How could you?
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
It's not a bootleg, I swear. Preview copy from the studio.
Max, there's a complete review with specs up top on the first post. Enjoy.
Yeah, the open-ended plots on Season Three was not the satisfying end we all hoped for, and overall it wasn't as good as 1 or 2, but perhaps it's the set-up for an amazing season 4.
re: Livia's head, something had to be done, the woman passed.
I for one hope that season 4 is a strong one, and then they end it. You can have too much of a good thing, and it's always better to leave on a high note.
------------------
Kyle
www.toldyouso.net

M

MaxY

David,
What size set are you watching them on? I suspect the problems I have with the video quality would affect larger sets. If you are watching on anything less then a 55 widescreen I doubt you would notice the problems and you might not even notice them on a 55" Widescreen.
I was watching them on a Big Dish System (Much better quality digital picture then a Mini Dish from what I have seen since I installed Direct TV last weekend) and it looked better then the DVDs. The DVDs seemed overly soft and had some bluriness when blown up on my 73" set that I did not notice when watching off the Dish. It was like in some shots I just did not see the amount of fine detail I have come to expect from a good anamorphic DVD on my system.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Blu

Screenwriter
I really don't hold too much hope for tying up all the storylines from S3 at all. I'm starting to think the writers just went bonkers for that season and either forgot what the heck they were writing or just didn't care to finish them. If S4 is good it will stand on its own and I feel a similar to S3 season coming up unfortunatly.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Max: I definately use a TV smaller than a 55" widescreen!
biggrin.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I read that they planned out seasons 3 and 4 together, so the stories gel together between the two seasons. However, Chase now wants a fifth season (as it was originally only supposed to be a 4 season series), so it could be that plotlines from season 3 will extend into season *5*.
------------------
Link Removed
"Sex? We're men! We wrestled!"
-Barton Fink

HalS

Stunt Coordinator
Although Chase swore it was 4 seasons and out, he recently signed a deal with HBO for season 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks