What's new
World Wide Stereo

Sony VPH 1020 QM : Help (1 Viewer)

GregHOYLE

Auditioning
A friend of mine has just been given a Sony VPH 1020 QM crt projector, but the thing is there are no manuals or anything else with it.
Is there anywhere i can download the manuals for it?
Also what do you people think of it?
Whats the specs of it? ie how far can the projector be away from the screen before the pic starts to degrade, assuming the room is pretty dark. Whats the best way to hook it up?, just after as much info on it as i can get.
Thanks in advance Greg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

GregHOYLE

Auditioning
Thanks Chris for such a speedy reply.
Theres one thing that confuses my friend and me, how would we set up the projector on the celing (upside down if you will) and have the picture come out the right way round ?
We havent tried doing this yet as its a bit heavy to hold upside down with cables dangling about, we thought we would just leave it on top of a rather large speaker for the time being.
Just got to set it up properly then use my copy of Avia to get it just right, and ive persuaded him to take a trip with me to get a proper av amp and speaker setup:D

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Again, not familiar with this projector, but usually there are dip switches that you need to flip somewhere inside, or you need to flip the Horizontal or Vertical scan connectors, depending on what kind of set up, floor/ceiling, front/rear you are going to use. You would do this first before you attempted any further setup of the projector.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Specifically, look at the 6th page of the installation manual (labeled as 16) for Polarity Change. That's what you gotta do. Also note that this is, AFAIK an analog only unit, so convergence and geometry, and other adjustments are all done manually, without the assistance of a digitally controlled system that is on all the newer projectors. This may seem confusing at first, only beacuse it isn't immediately intuitive, but it isn't any harder, so you should be ok setting it up. Again, if you get stuck, the guys with this unit on the CRT forum should be able to help you out more specifically.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Oh i forgot one last thing: to reiterate instruction #1 on the polarity change

"make sure that the power is not connected."

CRT projectors use and store, even when unplugged, insanely high voltages. Do the adjustments you need to do, but also treat the unit with respect. Don't go messing around with things if you don't know what you are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks