Sony to release 15 Bob Dylan Hybrid Discs.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Marc Colella, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

SONY MUSIC ANNOUNCES NEW BOB DYLAN SUPER AUDIO CD (SACD) SERIES

15 Classic Titles On Hybrid SACD To Lead Enhancement of Dylan Catalog

LAS VEGAS (CES, Booth #N109), Jan. 10, 2003 -- Sony Music Entertainment (SME) today announced it will be releasing a new series of classic albums by Columbia Records artist Bob Dylan on hybrid Super Audio CD (SACD) this Fall. The announcement was made by Jeff Jones, Senior Vice President, Legacy Recordings during a special SACD reception sponsored by Sony and Philips at the 2003 Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

The Bob Dylan titles mark the beginning of an ongoing program to enhance and upgrade the sonic quality and packaging elements of the Dylan catalog. These 15 titles are also the first Sony Music recordings to be released on hybrid SACD and will be produced on a new hybrid disc replication line that is scheduled to be launched in May, 2003 at Sony Disc Manufacturing's U.S. flagship facility in Terre Haute, Indiana. The 15 titles comprise many iconic titles from Dylan's canon: Free Wheelin'; Another Side of Bob Dylan; Bringing It All Back Home; Highway 61 Revisited; John Wesley Harding; Nashville Skyline; Blood On The Tracks; Desire; Slow Train Coming; Infidels; Oh Mercy; Time Out Of Mind; Love and Theft; Royal Albert Hall and Street Legal.

"The release of these classic Bob Dylan albums on hybrid SACD will extend the benefits of this exciting format to a much wider audience," stated Jeff Jones. "Each of these Dylan titles will be reissued in stereo, and they will be carefully remastered and reproduced to the highest quality standards." The entire series of reissues will be remastered by Greg Calbi, Senior Mastering Engineer at Sterling Sound in New York, whose credits include John Lennon's Walls and Bridges and Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run albums.

To date, Sony Music has released approximately 200 SACD titles including nearly 60 in multichannel surround sound. During the first quarter of this year, Sony Music will be releasing a variety of other stereo and multichannel SACD titles including Aerosmith's Toys In The Attic; James Taylor's Flag and Dad Loves His Work; and a new album by Macy Gray.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Great news and I am also excited about the James Taylor as well...let's hope they all sound as good as the recent JT album.
    [​IMG]

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Good thing they're hybrid, or I wouldn't even bother.
    I'm planning to pick up Highway 61 Revisited, Blood on the Tracks and possibly John Wesley Harding.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Hopefully Sony will put some effort and money into heavy advertising of the Dylan hybrid SACDs. Sony should push them harder than the Stones remasters, especially the SACD capability. This not to say that Dylan is bigger than the Stones, but Sony needs to put a strong marketing campaign behind the Dylan hybrids. I suspect that like the Stones remasters, the Dylan hybrids will replace the current CDs.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Let's take a look at those titles in list format:
    * Free Wheelin'
    * Another Side of Bob Dylan
    * Bringing It All Back Home
    * Highway 61 Revisited
    * John Wesley Harding
    * Nashville Skyline
    * Blood On The Tracks
    * Desire
    * Slow Train Coming
    * Infidels
    * Oh Mercy
    * Time Out Of Mind
    * Love and Theft
    * Royal Albert Hall
    * Street Legal
    Oh my god, it feels like Christmas! [​IMG]
    This is huge, like the ABKCO Stones catalog on SACD, except IMO the Dylan catalog is several times more important (and a thousand times more personally appealing). It is the feast that the "Dark Side" appetizer anticipated, the deepest catalog in rock history, the towering giant looming over even the Police and Peter Gabriel combined. Only the Miles Davis catalog compares.
    I haven't been this excited since the very early days of DVD, when titles like "The Seventh Seal" and "Seven Samurai" were being presented in a quality I'd never seen from a company I'd never heard of (I was too young and LD too pricey for me to have known better).
    I have only two questions: (1) Fall? [​IMG] and (2) where's "Self Portrait"? [​IMG]

7. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

and Blood on the Tracks will be a 2 disc set with the original version of the album, right!? Hey, I can dream!

This is such good news for me and such bad news for my bank account.

I'd also buy the first Dylan album....I love that one. And why is The Times They Are A-Changin' absent from that list?

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

All,
    Regarding missing titles, I am just hopeful that Sony will release the other later on. Let's hope so, and let's not complain about the 15 titles we are getting. [​IMG]
    The major question surfacing already on Steve Hoffman's forum is whether the early Dylan titles will have both stereo and mono tracks. Most people figure they will just have stereo tracks, which wouldn't surprise me. I'd love to see Sony approach those early Dylan titles like Warner did with The Beach Boys Pet Sounds and give us both stereo and mono tracks.
    Rich,
    So, how do you feel about Sony releasing Dylan hybrid SACDs? You came off a bit subdued. [​IMG]

9. Michael St. Clair

Where are the mono mixes of these Dylan albums? They have recently been re-released on audiophile vinyl!
    When it comes to artists like Dylan, The Beatles, and Hendrix - where there are original mono versions that are of particular interest to diehard fans, new hi-res releases should always include the original mono version. There is definitely room for original mono on these Dylan SACDs!
    The upcoming 'Pet Sounds' DVD-A is doing it right. Other hi-res producers and publishers need to take note.
    [​IMG]

10. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

The press release called this the beginning of a Dylan reissue program. If these do well, I think we can safely assume more are coming.

There's certainly room to offer mono -- I hope they do.

Ryan

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Pssst, hey Warner, you awake?
    Who else do you have in the works for your own hi-rez format?
    HelLLLOOOO...........anybody there?!
    LJ

12. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe, yep, these Dylan hybrids will be released by Sony. [​IMG] The only problem is that it looks like Sony will not be including mono tracks. I don't get that. Still, I am looking forward to these discs.
    As for a car, I'd forget it. Walk and buy the SACDs. [​IMG]

14. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

15. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

16. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Lots of Dylan SACD threads to choose from. I pick this one.
    Gonna sound dumber than a box of nails here.....of these 15 albums, 6 offer a 5.1 surround mix. Is that on the SACD layer only?
    Who has SACD anyway? 23 of us?
    It's been 5 years this month since I dropped a bundle to get DTS surround, along with AC3 which I already had. Lots of folks have DTS now, why isn't that an adequat surround process for these CD remixes?
    I'll hang up and listen on the air for my answer. [​IMG]

17. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

In answer to your questions:

1) Yes

2) Me and quite a few others (the Pioneer 563 has lowered significantly the main barrier to entry of the SACD club, price, to c. $US179).

3) DTS CDs sound pretty good but can't offer the sound quality or flexibility of hybrid SACDs, being compressed, limited to 5.1 and not being able to be played in standard CD players.

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    You can purchase the sampler as a bonus to the limited edition Masked and Anonymous soundtrack. I bought this three or so weeks ago.
    The sampler is simply fantastic. Sony has done a great job remastering these albums so I think that Dylan fans will be impressed. [​IMG]
    I think they are due out soon.

19. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

20. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer