What's new

Sony STRDA5ES Vs Marantz 7300 (1 Viewer)

ImranQ

Auditioning
I'm looking at upgrading my current Marantz SR780 Receiver.

The two receivers I am interested in are

Sony STRDA5ES or Marantz SR7300.

I am running Paradigm Speakers; Monitor 11s for front, CC370 Centre, PS 1000 Sub and Mini Monitors as rears.

SR780 works fine but is old and video switching is toast in it.

I have two satellites (S-Video), one cable box w/HDTV (component), DVD (component) and a VCR (composite).

I would like to have everything coming through my receiver.

Can someone please give me some advice on either of these two receivers.

Thanks/
Imran

EdwinM

Grip
I do not know about the Marantz, except that my brother in law bought a marantz system that went shot. He is still trying to get parts to fix it. May not be the same model that you are interested in. On the other hand, I own a Sony STR-DA5ES and it is very good. I had compared it to several others including the 4es, but ended up with this one. So far I am quite happy with its performance. This sure is a fantastic piece of equipment from sony.

But, you may have a very hard time getting one in these days.. since its come to be a collectors item.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
The 5ES is still widely available in Canada. It retails for $1600 CDN ($1 CDN = $0.65 US). For comparison, the 4ES retails for $1500 CDN.

AdamCDN

Auditioning
Hey Aaron, where in Canada are there 5ES models. I know the Sony warehouse is out, and no Toronto retailers have them. Some demos can be found, that's about all I could find. There are hardly any 4ES to be found in the GTA.

Adam

Shiu

Second Unit
Aaron, widely?? I could not find one in Toronto, none in the KW Cambridge area. I saw one in a Sony store in London, and they have only one (a display unit), with quite a bit of finger prints on it. Likewise, I noticed one 3ES in Cambridge, with even more finger prints on it. I have the feeling that to get one in a sealed box is not going to be easy. Where I bought my 4ES, they told me they "should" be able to get me one but they wanted $200 more. I did talk to Sony's production info support people about the difference between the 4 and the 5. He insisted that Sony applies their best technology to the ES line. I asked him about the reason why the 4 has a higher spec but $100 less in list price. He told me with electronic products, you often get more features for less money in the new models. He would not confirm that the 5ES is of a higher quality than the 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks