What's new

Sony SDP-E800 Dolby Digital Processor: Help (1 Viewer)

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the picture:
http://www.energenix.com/sony-sdp-e800.html
I'm in the market for one of these and I want to do away with my bulky reciever (it's Dolby Pro-Logic).
My needs are simple:
Want to be able to utilize the optical connection on my DirecTV box and on my DVD player. That's it...just those two connections...
Also, I'll only be utilizing my front 3 speakers (left/center/right) and subwoofer. Their all Sony's...shielded and small...
Will this processor do the trick? I've read that it needs to be used with a reciever? Is this true? I'm not using it for anything other than as an imput for my dvd player/directv box...no tuner needed..don't listen to the radio inside, etc.
Also, where's the best place to find one cheap?
Thanks,
Carrol

BruceD

Screenwriter
Carrol,

Do you use separate amplifiers to drive your speakers, or do the receiver's internal amplifiers do that job now?

If you get rid of the receiver you will still need some kind of power amplifiers to drive your speakers, even with the Sony sdp-e800 processor (which has no power amplifiers).

If you just need a coverter box that allows toslink (optical connection) to digital coax connections for your receiver, I can point you in the right direction.

If you are just looking for smaller sized equipment, I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe you could list your equipment and your objectives so we could be of more help.

BruceD

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce,

Thanks for the response.

Here is what I use currently:

Dvd player: Sony 530D w/Dolby Digital outputs

Ultimate TV DirecTV box: w/Dolby Digital outputs

Reciever: Sony STR-DE425 (w/according satellite speakers - 5 of them and a Subwoofer) It

only does Dolby Pro-Logic Sur.

I only have it set up for 3-Channel Dolby Stereo currently. Partly due to my room set up and partly due to the fact that I like the 'old school' sound of just the three channels (w/center channel & subwoofer).

I would like, however, to be able to use the optical out puts on my dvd player and ultimate tv box to get a true digital sound, even if I only use 3-channels + subwoofer.

So this processor doesn't have a power amplifier for my speakers built in? What exactly would I need to get and how much would I be looking at spending, in addition to the Sony processor? I think the processor runs at about $150.00 retail.. I already have the 5 speakers + subwoofer that I would need...

I would like to achieve a Dolby Digital 3.1 sound (that's what I would call it).

Left channel...Center cannel...Right channel & subwoofer.

But connected with the optical cables for a more true digital sound... the old left/right (red & white) audio cables just don't do anymore... so I would like to upgrade my equipment, etc... and move to the 'true digital' sound.

Hope this is understandable

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe this is what I need...Sony STR-SL7 slim reciever. Two optical inputs...I wonder if it has a 3-channel option though...sort of a Dolby Digital 3.1?

Where could I find it cheap?

Thanks

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Carol- I wouldn't recommend the SDP-E800 anyway. I used it a short while for DPL decoding to extract the rear center channel in a DIY 6.1 system from the L + R surrounds.

Very, very noisy. So much hiss that I couldn't live with it and got rid of it...

BruceD

Screenwriter
Carrol,

You can get DD 3.1 output from any DD 5.1 receiver.

It just requires you go into the setup menu and simply select "NO" for left surround and right surround speakers.

What you get automatically from DD 5.1 sources is a downcoverted DD 3.1 output to your left main, right main, center, and sub.

So a "slim-line" receiver is probably your best bet as it comes with the amplifiers inside. Just make sure the receiver's amps have enough power for your speakers. Probably not a problem for your Sony satellites.

With a processor like the Sony you described, you would need to purchase what they call a "5 channel amplifier", or in your case for DD 3.1 a "3 channel amplifier".

This "5 channel amplifier" is a separate component with 5 RCA outputs for each of the five speakers (not the sub) and 5 inputs for each of the 5 channels output from the processor.

The sub (the .1 in 5.1) is fed from the sixth (sub) output on the processor and may have it's own amplifier built-in.

I hope that's not too confusing.

BruceD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks