What's new

Sony KV-34XBR910 versus ?? (1 Viewer)

Ed Suyer

Auditioning
Hi folks,

I'm looking to purchase the Sony KV-34XBR910, and would like to compare it to _another tv this is comprable in price and in size_. I just hate to drop this kind of dough without comparing it to the best alternative (a little better or worse is fine too). This tv retails for about $2500.

Any help is much appreciated!

Ed.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
The XBR910 is the best. There is no competition. It has features that no other tvs offers. If you're desperate to compare it to something you should probably compare it to the 34" Toshiba or the 34" Panasonic or the 34" Phillips.

Dan

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The 34XBR910 will display 1400 lines of horizontal resolution. This means it will display 1400 vertical lines (think picket fence) across the screen without them blending into each other. The most any other direc-view set will do is about 1000 lines.

There are other 34 inch Direct View 16/9 sets that will produce a nice enough picture at a considerably lower price, but if you can comfortably afford the 910 it is the best.

Every once in a while Sony brings out a set that clearly exceeds the performance of anything else of it's type in the market, at a considerable price premium. This is one of those sets.

JamesClif

Grip
Take a look at the JVC-AV-34WP84 with its D.I.S.T. 1500i technology. Can be had for around $1500.00. It edges out the Sony 910 in all around performance.Get the 910 if you like a very dark picture,purity problems and red push.

Clayton Jr

Grip
I looked at the Toshiba 34HFX83 and the Sony XBR910 side by side in the shop, both playing Finding Nemo. There was a distinct, if subtle, improvement in picture quality on the Sony. But even the salesperson wondered if it was really a $500 difference in quality.

I went with the Toshiba and haven't been sorry.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
James, the Sony isn't winning all those kudos in the press and online for nothing. I haven't seen a better direct-view set ever. I haven't seen one as good. The XBR "edges" out all comers this season.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Jack, Just my opinion but for what Sony is charging for the set it should be doing more that just "edging" out other sets ;) but it does have a great picture that's for darn sure.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind that Sony is including the stand with the XBR910. That a pretty big value considering most people pay $300 for most stands. So, taking that into account they're really only charing about $2200 for the 34XBR910. Not that bad at all. Also, consider that you can often bargain that price down as low as $2200 total and that includes the stand. I've heard many reports of this tv going at that price. You just have to negotiate a little.

Dan

Page Ferrell

Agent
From what I gather, the Sony 910 is the consensus champ (notwithstanding Mr. JamesClif's comment) in the 34" HDTV direct view, 16:9 category. What about the other four that have been conistently mentioned? Is there a clear-cut "2nd place winner?" This list would include the Panasonic, the Toshiba(s), the JVC and the Phillips. From what I have read here, and I have read a lot, the consensus view is they each have their pro's & con's, but that there is not an overall (#2) winner in this category. Any further comments would be appreciated.

There is a store up the block from me (in NYC) that has all five of these models (these four plus the Sony 910) side by side by side by...but they have not been properly adjusted, so they are not readily comparable in terms of picture quality [one model is not even connected!] The prices are all competitive, with the highest one being $1800 and the lowest one being $1700 (Toshiba but not the hfX83, the hf83). Very tempting to snatch one...

JamesClif

Grip
I did see the Sony 910 beside the Sony 510 at local store. I could tell a slight difference in the 2 with the 910 being a tad more detailed than the 510. But this difference could only be seen from 1 to 2 feet away, any further back than that and you just dont see the difference. I dont know if anyone is going to sit that close to watch TV. Also you could see that the picture was much darker on the 910, smaller slits leeting less light in to get that higher resolution. Dont get me wrong I like Sony, I own 2 of them. I just cant see a $1000 difference in the 910 and the JVC I got. Its no way. The JVC is a sleeper that not many people know about ,much less have seen on display. Jack, you say the 910 is the best you have seen. Have you ever seen the JVC on display anywhere?? JVC just doesnt market their products like Sony does. Sony spends lots on marketing as all of us already know.

Page Ferrell

Agent
Hi James Clif. I know your question is not directed at me, but to semi-support your observation of the lack of availability of the 34" HDTV wide JVC, that was the one 34" of the lot that was NOT in the line-up that I saw at one of my local retailers, let alone any of the retailers in my neighborhood (it is quite convenient having CC, BB and PC Richard all within a 3 block walk of my apt, I must say).

I saw the two Sony's, the Phillips, the Panny and the Toshiba. This JVC intrigues me though. I'll do a search or two.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
JasonRS - check out RaLin in Syracuse. They're out of stock now but since you'll be waiting anyway it might be workable. Figure $2,300 including the stand, free delivery locally. They're a responsible dealer.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I was TV shopping for my sister. Her 25 year old TV died.
But, while at Circuit City I saw the 910 sitting on a stand. Very very nice TV. If I didn't already have a Loewe I'd be real tempted to have one of these sets. Circuit City had it priced at Just over $2000. What a buy!

I know I'm talking about 3 different technologies here but I too was comparing the Sony set recently in my journey to HDTV. Due too restrictions in size I only had 3 choices- The 34" Sony, Mitsu's 42" RPTV, and the one I bought was the 43" Samsung DLP. Lifting 200 pounds every stinkin time I wanted to go behind the TV didn't sound like fun. 67 pounds is much more managable. I got the Samsung for 500 over what they were asking for the Sony. Plus they are offering free HDTV thru comcast with a Samsung TV. But I'm no Home theater buff. I'm still learning but I know the disadvantages to the DLP. Still couldn't be any happier. Good luck in the search

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
JasonRS - I've not been to IU, but I was unimpressed at Clark Music. My room is too open to duplicate in a showroom anyway, so over the years I've just patched together systems. My ADS fronts must be 20 years old.

Rich H

Second Unit
I've tested most of the top CRT direct-views and the Sony910
is, I feel, in it's own class.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks