What's new

Sony KV-34XBR910 versus ?? (1 Viewer)

Rich H

Second Unit
James,

Y'know, I don't think I have tested that JVC. I've done all the Loewes, Sonys, the better Toshibas, Panasonic...that kind of thing.

I'll look out for the JVC too.

EricBenson

Auditioning
I really think you should take a peak at the Loewe Aconda. The 03 models are available at slightly higher prices than the 910, and while I know the 910 gets terrific review, every time I walk into my local high end store, I'm stunned at how the Loewe looks in comparison to other displays in the store. I just haven't been all that impressed by the 910 especially in comparison to the Loewe.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Didn't they have all sorts of power supply problems?

Maybe due to the huge size of the CRT.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, Frank, the Loewe is fine in the power-supply department (very beefy, and with good DC restoration). It was the 38-inch RCA-branded unit from Thomson, which uses the same CRT, that had the power-supply issues.

Bob East

Agent
The 34xbr910 is clearly the best direct view ever. Not only are the reviews saying it but I'll say it based on my experience. Anyone who is making a statement of quality based on seeing ANY tv model in a Best Buy or CC etc simply has no basis for making that statement. No tv in any of those stores is properly calibrated so no firm opinion can be determined. My friend bought the tv at CC for $1950 after using some discounts. He also had an ISF calibration done for $300. The picture thereafter was the best we had ever seen in a direct view. There was no red push, no purity problems, no geometry problems and the picture is not dark. In addition, the sharpness due to the increase in pixels is clearly evident. In sum, the 34xbr 910 is clearly the 34inch ws to get if you can afford it. Unless of course you want to wait for the new model in June-hope that one has 2 DVI inputs.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Overall, I'd say, "What Bob said." It's close to impossible to make PQ judgments in a big-box store's showroom, what with the way the sets are so indifferently displayed. However, the comment about "pixels" might be amended to read the "increased number of slots in the aperture grill."

To reiterate, the 34XBR910 is, at present, the best direct-view set I've looked at.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks