Sony HT5100D Home Theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Quincy, Dec 4, 2001.

1. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Does anyone know if this system is a good deal or not? This is my first time buying a home theater system/components. I don't want to spend a lot of money, nor do I want a piece of crap. I watch movies maybe once a week (rented ones).. I will use this mostly for regular TV and the "stereo" part of it - radio, etc.

I am also considering getting some Monster Cables to improve the sound quality. Is this the right path to take? or should I buy another brands cables?

Thanks,

John

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    the Monster Cables wont yield a difference without using separate components and decent speakers. Sony can't make speakers to save its life! their budget sub (SA-WM40) is the only good "speaker" they make.
    well, with ~800 you can get a decent setup. Kenwood 507 receiver (~250), Panasonic RV31 DVD player (~$175), JBL NSP-1 speakers ($299 shipped at www.jandr.com) with Sony SA-WM40 sub (~$150 at Best Buy).
    this would beat that Sony system into the ground! save the $$ you were gonna spend on Monster and just use cheap wires all around and Home Depot 12-gauge speaker wire. you wont notice any difference until you upgrade to more hifi equipment.
    good luck!

3. Ronald B Utthol

Ronald B Utthol Auditioning

Sounds right.

4. Ronald B Utthol

Ronald B Utthol Auditioning

Oops double post

5. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Thanks Thomas_Berg for you help.... [​IMG]
    However, is there anyone else that could help me out with a second opionion? Thanks!
    John

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'll give you a second opinion. Forget about all-in-one systems and take the advice of someone like Thomas Berg. [​IMG] It may be good to come up with a budget and tstart a thread like "$800 for an audio/DVD system, recommendations please?". Lots of the kind folks here will jump all over that kind of thread.
    The only thing an all-in-one system like the one you're looking at offers is convenience. You can get MUCH BETTER performance for your dollar by shopping around.
    And I agree, don't bother with Monster cable. The AR or Radio Shack Gold stuff is fine.

7. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Thanks, I guess I will try the thread suggestion.

John