What's new

Sony HT5100D Home Theater (1 Viewer)

John_Quincy

Agent
Does anyone know if this system is a good deal or not? This is my first time buying a home theater system/components. I don't want to spend a lot of money, nor do I want a piece of crap. I watch movies maybe once a week (rented ones).. I will use this mostly for regular TV and the "stereo" part of it - radio, etc.

I am also considering getting some Monster Cables to improve the sound quality. Is this the right path to take? or should I buy another brands cables?

Thanks,

John

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
the Monster Cables wont yield a difference without using separate components and decent speakers. Sony can't make speakers to save its life! their budget sub (SA-WM40) is the only good "speaker" they make.
well, with ~800 you can get a decent setup. Kenwood 507 receiver (~250), Panasonic RV31 DVD player (~$175), JBL NSP-1 speakers ($299 shipped at www.jandr.com) with Sony SA-WM40 sub (~$150 at Best Buy).
this would beat that Sony system into the ground! save the $$ you were gonna spend on Monster and just use cheap wires all around and Home Depot 12-gauge speaker wire. you wont notice any difference until you upgrade to more hifi equipment.
good luck!

John_Quincy

Agent
Thanks Thomas_Berg for you help.... :)
However, is there anyone else that could help me out with a second opionion? Thanks!
John

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'll give you a second opinion. Forget about all-in-one systems and take the advice of someone like Thomas Berg. :) It may be good to come up with a budget and tstart a thread like "$800 for an audio/DVD system, recommendations please?". Lots of the kind folks here will jump all over that kind of thread.
The only thing an all-in-one system like the one you're looking at offers is convenience. You can get MUCH BETTER performance for your dollar by shopping around.
And I agree, don't bother with Monster cable. The AR or Radio Shack Gold stuff is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks