What's new

Sony ES DVP-NS999ES Should I Buy One? (1 Viewer)

TerryHub

Stunt Coordinator
I am running a Sony 2ES receiver with a Sony 685V DVD/CD/SACD player. I am wondering if I should buy a 999ES before they become unavailable since I believe they are no longer manufacturing them.

I realize that I most likely won't see or hear a major improvement, but as it turns out I'm pretty happy with my ES receiver and would like a matching ES DVD player. I just don't know if its worth the ~$750.00 or not.

Any thoughts?

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't buy one just because you have the ES receiver. I am not sure it is the best bang for the buck player in that price range, especially since the Denon 2200 (and soon Yamaya 1500) has come out. I don't put all that much creedance to one individuals comments, but I believe it was a recent Perfect Vision (the DVD issue) that stated the Sony 685 carousel dvd player (about $200) was every bit as good as the 999 for SACD audio and video. I think the 999 would be more attractive at closeout prices (say $500-$600) mainly because of the 5 year warranty (some state Sony's service stinks but the 1 time I needed ES warranty work, I was very happy).

Terry, if your 2ES receiver has 2 multi channel inputs, I would suggest a 2 player setup or one of the Denon universals.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I doubt the 685 is as good as the 999 for SACD. Though the likely use the same SACD chips, you are buying the build quality - better chassis, circuitry and power supply. I compared my friends 725P to my 222ES and the 222 is able to extract more subtle detail. However, I agree that the price may not justify the level of improvement you will get.

Having said that, I feel the Denon 2200 or 2900 are the way to go right now. I picked up a 2200, since I already have the 222 for SACD, and I am very happy with it. I've tried the 2200 with SACD, and I would still be happy with the sound (222 is still slightly better).

I've never had a problem with Sony warranties.

TerryHub

Stunt Coordinator
Your both probably correct. I'm the type of person who prefers their system to match. I know the build quality of Sony's former flagship DVD has got to be pretty good. Its just that I feel like I missed the boat to get an ES DVD player to match my system. With Sony's change to silver components for the ES line, I feel pretty screwed. I don't like silver and I would have preferred a choice. Besides, it would be pretty good to get a $1,200.00 DVD player for around $700.00 wouldn't it?

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Terry, the 999 at around $700 is not a bad deal at all, I just feel that it is getting a little long in the tooth. What is Sony's replacement player for the 999? Is that the one you say will only come in silver? If a replacement is imminent and you don't want the new ES model, I believe you would be able to get even better prices on the 999 at closeout prices. But maybe they have already bottomed out the price, I have not heard. I think the 999 becomes more attractive around the $600 and under price considering some of the competition with newer machines. I just never really considered "matching" components that important and feel you can do better for the money. With that said though, the 999 IS a solid player.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think the 999 is a solid player as well, but for not much more, the 2900 would be a better player for video, and pretty close in audio, with the added benefit of DVD-A.

There is absolutely no good reason to match brands with equipment, other than remotes, and if you have a universal learning remote, then there is no reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks