Sony ES DVP-NS999ES Should I Buy One?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by TerryHub, May 4, 2004.

1. TerryHub

TerryHub Stunt Coordinator

I am running a Sony 2ES receiver with a Sony 685V DVD/CD/SACD player. I am wondering if I should buy a 999ES before they become unavailable since I believe they are no longer manufacturing them.

I realize that I most likely won't see or hear a major improvement, but as it turns out I'm pretty happy with my ES receiver and would like a matching ES DVD player. I just don't know if its worth the ~$750.00 or not.

Any thoughts?

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I wouldn't buy one just because you have the ES receiver. I am not sure it is the best bang for the buck player in that price range, especially since the Denon 2200 (and soon Yamaya 1500) has come out. I don't put all that much creedance to one individuals comments, but I believe it was a recent Perfect Vision (the DVD issue) that stated the Sony 685 carousel dvd player (about $200) was every bit as good as the 999 for SACD audio and video. I think the 999 would be more attractive at closeout prices (say $500-$600) mainly because of the 5 year warranty (some state Sony's service stinks but the 1 time I needed ES warranty work, I was very happy).

Terry, if your 2ES receiver has 2 multi channel inputs, I would suggest a 2 player setup or one of the Denon universals.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I doubt the 685 is as good as the 999 for SACD. Though the likely use the same SACD chips, you are buying the build quality - better chassis, circuitry and power supply. I compared my friends 725P to my 222ES and the 222 is able to extract more subtle detail. However, I agree that the price may not justify the level of improvement you will get.

Having said that, I feel the Denon 2200 or 2900 are the way to go right now. I picked up a 2200, since I already have the 222 for SACD, and I am very happy with it. I've tried the 2200 with SACD, and I would still be happy with the sound (222 is still slightly better).

I've never had a problem with Sony warranties.

4. TerryHub

TerryHub Stunt Coordinator

Your both probably correct. I'm the type of person who prefers their system to match. I know the build quality of Sony's former flagship DVD has got to be pretty good. Its just that I feel like I missed the boat to get an ES DVD player to match my system. With Sony's change to silver components for the ES line, I feel pretty screwed. I don't like silver and I would have preferred a choice. Besides, it would be pretty good to get a $1,200.00 DVD player for around $700.00 wouldn't it?

5. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Terry, the 999 at around $700 is not a bad deal at all, I just feel that it is getting a little long in the tooth. What is Sony's replacement player for the 999? Is that the one you say will only come in silver? If a replacement is imminent and you don't want the new ES model, I believe you would be able to get even better prices on the 999 at closeout prices. But maybe they have already bottomed out the price, I have not heard. I think the 999 becomes more attractive around the $600 and under price considering some of the competition with newer machines. I just never really considered "matching" components that important and feel you can do better for the money. With that said though, the 999 IS a solid player.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think the 999 is a solid player as well, but for not much more, the 2900 would be a better player for video, and pretty close in audio, with the added benefit of DVD-A.

There is absolutely no good reason to match brands with equipment, other than remotes, and if you have a universal learning remote, then there is no reason.