What's new

Sony 'DRC' -Digital Reality Creation questions (1 Viewer)

lee.b

Stunt Coordinator
I understand that there are two sony wega models that possess the 'drc'. The 32hs500 and 32hv600. I also understand that the drc is another name, basically, for line doubling.

I read a review on the '500', i believe, where the reviewer didn't like the drc because it made his set look pixated when compared to his slightly older regular wega. Incidentally, I have a new 300 series wega, and find the picture stunning, considering its limitations.

My first question is whether any folks out there have had the same experience with the drc, in that it 'ruined' the picture by over processing (or whatever) the signal and making subjectively worse at times.

Second question, the hv600 series comes with an adjustable drc. It's called 'Multifunction V1'. It allows you to adjust the amount of drc. I suppose just the fact it comes with a more expensive wega tells you that it's an option best to have. So....is the adjustable drc, indeed, potentially critical for keeping some signals (standard cable reception,etc)from being over-processed?

And, does this model allow you to turn the drc completely off? All info appreciated.

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
I have it with my XBR450, and I like it. With my analog cable, it improves the picture, and the 3:2 pulldown/480 progressive mode for DVDs is equal to, or better than, progressive output from many DVD players.
-Erik

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
DRC is just a line doubler/deinterlacer with 3 modes. Regular 480p, 3:2 detecting 'Cinemotion' 480p, and 960i.

There is no way to 'turn it off', just like 99% of HD sets out there do not have a way to run in a 480i interlaced mode. They just don't give you a choice of different modes.

DRC is excellent and I think anybody who says it makes things look pixelated probably has something configured wrong on his new set (like SVM).

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I've had good experiences with DRC on sets that I've observed in the past. DRC is supposed to be a little more than a line doubling solution, though, and tries to be a proprietary DCDi technology from Sony. I think it has been one of the more stable built-in doublers for some time, IMHO. I understand that the newer version of DRC is much more flexible and efficient than the original wave, but haven't had a chance to demo it personally.

Matt

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I have the 32HV600 and it adds the DRC palette which allows you to adjust the "reality" and "clarity" as well as select one of the three DRC modes. You can't turn it completely off. I find that the DRC on these sony sets are superb and enhance the picture on most sources. Sure if you have bad cable the picture will look bad period. It will still look bad if you have the DRC on or off.

lee.b

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, based on what I read, I'm using your set for my 'gold standard'wish list. Do you have any ability to compare your drc, progressive sony to say...my 27" 300 series wega? I'm just curious how that drc, line-doubling, what have you, compares to the standard wega without such.

For the sake of this discussion, let's also assume that the cable I get, for the most part, is pretty good- that is, on the channels that come across good...it comes across darn good. Thanks in advance.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
There is no comparisson between the HD set and the analog one. There is no line doubler on the 300 therefore you will see the black interlaced lines if you are close enough. The XBR and HS models are far better.

As far as the cable is concerned, it's very good on the sony's doubler. The line doubler in these sets are very very good compared to others. I find my satellite picture quite good until I get real close to the TV, then I can see artifacts. You probably still see this on the 300 anyway though, that's just the way the signal is.

On DVD's there is no comparisson, the HD set is far better.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
To put this further in perspective.

DRC is a 3-mode line doubler/deinterlacer that cannot be disabled.

Typical HD sets have a single-mode or two-mode line doubler/deinterlacer that cannot be disabled.

Sony is actually giving you more, not fewer, choices than most HD sets on the market.

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator
My friend
I´sometimes have the same problem, he image looks worst with drc, (only with sat tv) but I have to say It happens only with low quality signals, when the sat signal is fine (cnn ie) looks simply great

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
My Sony offers 2 options with DRC ... Progressive or Interlaced. Has anyone experimented with these 2 settings ??? Can someone provide feedback and recommendations on the proper setting (for watching regular cable TV and for watching DVD video).

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks