Sony "Control S" and "A1II" - what are these?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bernie Lomax, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Agent

Anyone utilize these on thier Sony's? Just curious what they are for?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

A wiired remote type of operating system that runs through their compatible components, one to the next.

They make it so complicated, it's almost not worth trying to make it work.

3. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Agent

Yeah, especially since the remotes all control everything else anyways. Thanks for the response.

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Actually, there is nothing weird or particular complicated or particularly difficult about these systems at all. When a Sony DVD is connected to a Sony receiver via S control, pressing 'play' on the DVD kicks the receiver into the proper mode for DVD decoding, and it will also turn a Sony TV to the proper input channel. Nothing revolutionary, but nice if you have lots of Sony gear. The A1II system allows you do daisy-chain CD players, for example, so your 400-disc changer can be a slave to your 5-disc changer.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Actually, there is nothing weird or particularly complicated or particularly difficult about these systems at all. When a Sony DVD is connected to a Sony receiver via S control, pressing 'play' on the DVD kicks the receiver into the proper mode for DVD decoding, and it will also turn a Sony TV to the proper input channel. Nothing revolutionary, but nice if you have lots of Sony gear. The A1II system allows you do daisy-chain CD players, for example, so your 400-disc changer can be a slave to your 5-disc changer.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

6. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

8. Kit_C

Kit_C Extra

To add to the previous comments, Control S is simply an IR interface that can be used in lieu of Xantech-type IR blasters. No control is done over the interface, and no data is transmitted other than the carrier-stripped IR.

Contol A1II is a control and transport protocol that allows Sony components to communicate with each other intelligently.

Kit

9. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

Control S works differently depending on when your Sony TV, DVD, or receiver was made.When a Sony DVD is connected to a Sony receiver via S control, pressing 'play' on the DVD kicks the receiver onto the proper input for DVD on the receiver, and it will also turn a Sony TV to the proper input channel for older Sony TV's like my older 36" WEGA. But when I got my 65XBR2 it stopped switching to the correct input. Now only the DVD and receiver communicate for switching to the correct input, and the TV just routes the DVD and receivers IR to it's IR. Sony tech support told me when I got the 65XBR2 that they changed the Control S communication protocols. The big difference I noticed is on my old WEGA it had Control S under each input. Now on my 65XBR2 it only has Control S in and Control S out. If I'm wrong about this or have my information incorrect please correct me because I would like the 65XBR2 to work like my old WEGA and I can't figure it out.

10. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

As I remember it the A1-ll link also will sync Sony recording deveces such as cassette players, VHS and possibly MD with Sony CD and DVD/CD players. A nice feature for anyone into making dupes to tape.

11. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

It seems like every 2 years Sony changes it just enough that your system never really gels if you upgrade out of sync.

Nice when it works, but easier to get around without it, IMO.