What's new

Sony "Control S" and "A1II" - what are these? (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
A wiired remote type of operating system that runs through their compatible components, one to the next.

They make it so complicated, it's almost not worth trying to make it work.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Actually, there is nothing weird or particular complicated or particularly difficult about these systems at all. When a Sony DVD is connected to a Sony receiver via S control, pressing 'play' on the DVD kicks the receiver into the proper mode for DVD decoding, and it will also turn a Sony TV to the proper input channel. Nothing revolutionary, but nice if you have lots of Sony gear. The A1II system allows you do daisy-chain CD players, for example, so your 400-disc changer can be a slave to your 5-disc changer.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Actually, there is nothing weird or particularly complicated or particularly difficult about these systems at all. When a Sony DVD is connected to a Sony receiver via S control, pressing 'play' on the DVD kicks the receiver into the proper mode for DVD decoding, and it will also turn a Sony TV to the proper input channel. Nothing revolutionary, but nice if you have lots of Sony gear. The A1II system allows you do daisy-chain CD players, for example, so your 400-disc changer can be a slave to your 5-disc changer.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
They make it so complicated, it's almost not worth trying to make it work
Yeah, plugging that little 1/8" cable from one component to the next is sooo complicated. ;)
In my opinion, Control-A1 really shines when it comes to Sony's CD Mega Changers ("jukeboxes"). I have a 400 disc one plugged into a Sony ES receiver. The touchscreen remote for the receiver can download all of the names of the discs loaded in the changer, so I can pick a disc by name from a list on the screen of the remote. Very slick. The remote also displays the name of the track that is playing (for CD-Text CD's), the radio station name and frequency, the currently selected input, the current EQ and setup settings, etc. It is all updated in real time whenever something changes (e.g. hit pause on the CD player, and the pause 'button' on the remote dims to indicate the CD player is paused). Similar functionality is available for 5 disc changers and for MD decks. I didn't have to do anything to get this functionality other than plug the cable (included with the CD changer) into the receiver and CD changer.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
An "Operating System"? Windows 98 is an operating system (well, a reasonable facsimile of one anyway). Control-A1II and Control-S, collectively referred to as "S-link" are a system to allow communication between components.
so just because the operating system on a computer is called an operating system, this cant be called one as well? a 'system' of operating the sony equipment is what the A1II is, so 'operating system' doesnt seem like such a bad term.

CJ

Kit_C

Grip
To add to the previous comments, Control S is simply an IR interface that can be used in lieu of Xantech-type IR blasters. No control is done over the interface, and no data is transmitted other than the carrier-stripped IR.

Contol A1II is a control and transport protocol that allows Sony components to communicate with each other intelligently.

Kit

John Giddens

Stunt Coordinator
Control S works differently depending on when your Sony TV, DVD, or receiver was made.When a Sony DVD is connected to a Sony receiver via S control, pressing 'play' on the DVD kicks the receiver onto the proper input for DVD on the receiver, and it will also turn a Sony TV to the proper input channel for older Sony TV's like my older 36" WEGA. But when I got my 65XBR2 it stopped switching to the correct input. Now only the DVD and receiver communicate for switching to the correct input, and the TV just routes the DVD and receivers IR to it's IR. Sony tech support told me when I got the 65XBR2 that they changed the Control S communication protocols. The big difference I noticed is on my old WEGA it had Control S under each input. Now on my 65XBR2 it only has Control S in and Control S out. If I'm wrong about this or have my information incorrect please correct me because I would like the 65XBR2 to work like my old WEGA and I can't figure it out.

JackS

Supporting Actor
As I remember it the A1-ll link also will sync Sony recording deveces such as cassette players, VHS and possibly MD with Sony CD and DVD/CD players. A nice feature for anyone into making dupes to tape.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
It seems like every 2 years Sony changes it just enough that your system never really gels if you upgrade out of sync.

Nice when it works, but easier to get around without it, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.