steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Title: Sonic the Hedgehog

Tagline: A Whole New Speed of Hero

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction, Comedy, Family

Director: Jeff Fowler

Cast: Ben Schwartz, James Marsden, Jim Carrey, Tika Sumpter, Lee Majdoub, Frank C. Turner, Adam Pally, Natasha Rothwell, Neal McDonough, Debs Howard, Bailey Skodje, Lisa Chandler, Elfina Luk, Michael Hogan, Shannon Chan-Kent, Emma Oliver, Dean Petriw, Nicholas Dohy, Melody Nosipho Niemann, Jeanie Cloutier, Jeff Sanca, Steve Warky Nunez, John Flanagan, Bethel Lee, Breanna Watkins, Eleanor Whibley, Jeremy Arnold, Richard David Lecoin, John Specogna, Colleen O'Shaughnessey, Keanu Reeves, Dennis Hopper, Leslie Nielsen, Garry Chalk, Scott Patey

Release: 2020-02-12

Runtime: 99

Plot: Based on the global blockbuster videogame franchise from Sega, Sonic the Hedgehog tells the story of the world’s speediest hedgehog as he embraces his new home on Earth. In this live-action adventure comedy, Sonic and his new best friend team up to defend the planet from the evil genius Dr. Robotnik and his plans for world domination.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saw this today having known nothing about "Sonic" other than it was a video game character from the 80s, like Super Mario Brothers or something.

Thoroughly enjoyed it! The Sonic character was engaging, the human cast was good, and the story skipped right along, no complicated convoluted plots. I saw it in a Dolby Cinema, which really showed off the SFX. This isn't Mozart but if you want about 90 minutes of mindless fun, go for it.

B

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Just got back from it with my 5 year old son. Absolutely loved it! I thought it would be a fun little movie, but wound up really loving it. It’s got all the best aspects of a family film, a super hero movie and even a dose of a buddy comedy. Marsden in particular did a great job on what must have been lonely on-set acting (not surprisingly as he was great in the film “Hop” several years ago). Carrey was over the top in all the right ways as the villain. I’m sure Tommy Lee Jones would not condone his buffoonery.

I was a fan of the original games back in the day, so a lot of the elements were familiar. Especially excited for what the mid-credit scene could mean for the inevitable (fingers crossed) sequel. My wife was even super into it and is in enthusiastic anticipation for more.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It was a toss-up to see this one or "Birds of Prey". I decided that I was more in the mood for something light and humorous.

It was a lot better than I expected it to be. One of the better adaptations using a video game character. They capture Sonic's character from the animated series quite well in the film. Carrey really chews the scenery as Robotnik. Marsden as the "Donut Lord" does a good job, considering he had to interact with something that isn't actually there.

The story is slight but moves at a good clip. I did think that the opening scene felt a little rushed. Some good laughs and the requisite cheesy one liners. The scene that takes place in a Bar is a standout scene in this film and they managed to integrate some aspects of the video game quite well.

The mid-credit scene has me looking forward to a sequel; although, I still prefer these types of films to be fully animated rather than live action/CG mixes.

Worth a viewing if a person is in the mood for something light and frothy.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw this today and thought it was wholly... okay.

Pretty predictable and nothing new or fresh. Still, it was moderately entertaining - can't say I actually enjoyed it but I didn't dislike it, either...

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks