What's new

Someone stole my saw... (1 Viewer)

Kevin_W

Second Unit
:angry: Just venting...

Apparently when I left for work this morning I forgot to close the garage door. Didn't think much of it when I got home until I noticed on my workbench my miter saw is GONE! WTF! Man I am so pissed (at myself). I just bought it last fall to re-do the deck this summer and now I'm screwed. I'd give the $350 I'm out just to have the option of going back in time and being able to jump out of the bushes at whatever punkass stole it.

Dude had some balls tho... taking out a 50lb saw in broad daylight in a suburban neighborhood.

Ole Yeller... R.I.P.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I'd be pissed too!

A few weeks ago I forgot to close the garage door when I got home from work, so it was open all night long. Luckily nothing got stolen but I attribute that mainly to the fact that there's nothing there to steal (we just moved in so we don't have many tools and the like).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
leila, lucky no one came into your house while you were asleep.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Tony, yeah no kidding! Actually, we keep the door to the house locked as well so they couldn't have gotten in unless they put a lot of effort into it. The door locking thing is part of my paranoia, much to the chagrin of my husband.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Make sure to check out the local pawn shops and ebay to see if they are trying to sell it. Sorry to hear about your loss. Having something stole from ones self is violating. I dont care if its a CD or a car, its still infuriating.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
This may be a no-brainer, but make sure you report it to the proper authorities. Even if all they do is take a report, if it is ever recovered, you will have a valid claim to it.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
My wife did that one day...She wasn't used to a garage or garage door opener. When I got home from work and saw it up I was little aggrivated. Luckily everythig was in tact.

You may be able to file on your home owners?

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
On a side note (sorry to hijack, Kevin), I just got a new mountain bike, which I'll be picking up tonight. In my opinion, it would be the first choice of a thief. Isn't there programs set up by local authorities that allow you to register your bike with an etched serial number, which will allow to it to be returned if it is ever stolen and recovered? I'd really hate to see this one get stolen, as my brother's did 2 years ago.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I have that saw. Picked it up at Home Depot about 4 years ago on an unadvertised $259 special. It has served me well.

I had a Trek bike, and a life-sized Michael Jordan poster (???) stolen out of my garage several years ago. Pissed me off. I eventually got over it.:D

Generally speaking, this would be a "dumb" idea. Filing a claim for $350 is likely to have a larger negative effect on your premium in future years. This is what my agent told me.
In fact, why carry a deductible below what you'd be willing to file for? Higher deductible (like, say, $1000) can save you quite a bit on premiums.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Is this a given that your premium will go up as result? My deductable is $250 and I filed the police report today and called AAA. I supposed that I was excited to get even a $100 out of it... but not at the expense of a higher premium.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Leila my Wife calls me paranoid about locking the door in the garage to the house. I ask her sometimes did you shut the garage door? She gets very aggravated. I think of myself as cautious instead of paranoid.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I always though it would be nice if someone would make a wireless indicator, led's or whatever, that you could have in your house to tell if the garage door was open or closed. We've accidently left our garage door open a couple of times, with no loss fortunately.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
You could easily wire an indicator into the house.A big bright red light in the bedroom to keep you awake until you close it. Also you could wire your entry door to buzz if the garage door is up when you enter the house. Put in a little bypass switch so you can have the door up when you need to go in and out.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
This type of theft is very common in my area. I've left the garage door open a few nights and been very thankful the next morning that my stuff was still there. With modern house designs the main living areas very rarely face out toward the street so it actually is very easy for thieves to just stroll up your driveway and walk away with the goods since no one is looking in their direction.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Additionally, it is not wise to leave a garage door opener in any car you may leave parked outside. A car is easier to break into and then they have instant access to your garage and maybe more.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Phillip I never leave my GD opener in my car. At work I keep it in my pocket. I wear pants with a lot of pockets. I keep it in there because people break into cars pretty often where I work. If they get it you are right instant access.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

When I had to replace my (Craftsman) door opener last year, I happened to buy one that came with such a sensor. I thought I was sorta pointless and stupid, but the wife made me install it. Now, we have a small unit that sits on my nightstand that glows green when the door is closed and flashes red when it is open. It's the last thing I look at before shut-eye. Needless to say, I'm glad I have it.

I imagine you can buy these separately from Sears, and they're super-easy to install.

edit: There She Be

Sorry about your loss, Kevin; that's a good looking saw.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks