front firing sonotube?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tim verry, Aug 20, 2001.

1. tim verry

tim verry Auditioning

In my room, I'm getting a much flatter (and nicer sounding) response from a 60 liter generic sealed cabinet than my first experimental sealed 12" tube sonosub w/ a 12" driver stole from my velo ct120 (roughly 90 liters). The only difference besides size is that the box is front firing. I'm pretty much forced to put the sub in a front corner.
    Since a 12" x 48" tube is only $7.50 at home depot, I'm forced to try to fudge up a front firing tube.
    Any thoughts on how to cut the tube on a nice 45 degree angle? I keep thinking about it and I really can't figure out a good way to do it. Paper templates...?? I'm just not sure how to measure and mark it for the cut. I don't happen to have a giant miter saw laying around, but there's got to be a way to do it on the cheap.
    My best plan so far is to make 45 degree cuts with a circular or table saw and build an enourmous miter box, I'm sure someone else is more creative than that.

2. RodC

RodC Stunt Coordinator

How 'bout using some plywood and 2x4's to fashion a jig of sorts. I'll try to eplain what I see in my mind. Let say you have a piece of plywood slightly wider than the tube, so that you can mount a 2x4 braced at a 45deg angle on each edge so that you can lay the tube between them. Use the edges of the 2x4's to act as guide for a hand saw so the saw would ride down the 2x4's as you make the cut in the tube. Attempt at ASCII art below, no promises. The diag. line represent the 45deg. 2x4's, the top most line and the line above plywood represent the tube (lines in between just to get angled lines to line up.)
    -----------/----
    ----------/
    ---------/
    --------/
    -------/
    ------/---------
    plywood
    ----------------
    Hope this helps. If you think this is reasonable but still not sure what I'm driving at let me know I will try to elaborate.
    Rod
    [Edited last by RodC on August 21, 2001 at 04:02 PM]

3. RodC

RodC Stunt Coordinator

Another thought, perhaps easier. Since the tube is 12", mark a line around the circumference of the tube, and measure up 12" and mark another. Take a length of string like maybe some mason line that won't stretch too much and tape it to a point on the bottom line. On the top line, opposite to the bottom taped point, wrap the string to a point and tape. The string should wrap smooth and represent your cut line. Take a sharpie pen and trace this line trying not to push the string as you go. Then use a jigsaw or something to cut.
    Again, let me know if this is not very clear and I can elaborate.
    Rod

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I am picturing a really ugly sub at this point. Why not just make a box sub that will not look so cheesy. You could even make an octagon shape that could look cool. Just my thoughts!
    Wes

5. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

I modeled this one up... but thought it was kinda ugly. I'm not sure what you are trying to do with the 45 degree cut... but it will be hard to make.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater

6. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Ahh...good old Proe. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tim verry

tim verry Auditioning

Thanks! I should be able to try some of these things tonight. Another person recommended rolling the tube on a big piece of paper to get an accurate measurement of the OD (these things are "nominal" sizes) and then marking up/cutting the paper then wrapping it around the tube to mark the cut.
    I figure if I make a 45 degree cut I can rotate the tube around and have a 90 degree bend. More of just an experiment to see the difference in df and ff with a similar enclosure, not necessarily some end-all final plan.
    I also had that same idea for putting the tube on top of a box I have to increase the volume, but at that point I might as well just build a bigger box. Nice to see how it would look!
    Unfortunately I have zero sensibility about if these things look good or not. Luckily I have a dedicated room in my basement, so it's not as much of an issue.
    I'm also thinking it might just be easier to get a 20" dia tube or bigger, my math sux but I think a 20" dia tube only 20" long on its side would make a nice ff with not too much more footprint than I have now and would actually have more volume.

8. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

How about this one? Looks better! Shouldn't be too hard to make. Might look unique too!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater