What's new

Someone should steal this invention; (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I was throwing away yet another one of my kids DVDs today (scratched beyone hope) when I had the inspiration for an invention. Scratch-proof method of storing and playing DVDs and CDs.

The idea would be quite simple to execute - simply emulate the old floppy disks from our old PCs. You know - a hard outer case with a sleeve that opens inside the player, and then closes when you remove the disk.

I figure an entrepreneurial person could invent an outer shell that DVDs and CDs could be placed in. Then all that needs doing is to create the player that could accept the shell and play the disk within like a floppy does.

Seems simple enough - why do you suppose it hasn't yet been done?

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
well it sort of was already done my dad had bought a bunch back in early 90's.
It was a case for the CD-Rom and it needed a special CD Player to accept what looked like a regular CD case but it had an openeing somewhat like a floppy. so you never had to actually have the disk exposed and if you threw it around it was protected from the case it was in.

Altho I cant remember the name of these I can get a Pic of one ltr when I get home if you want to see it.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The consortiums that developed the standards for both audio CD and DVD considered and then explicitly rejected the idea of caddies very early on in the process. It was consider too inconvenient for consumers and the added cost would have delayed the market penetration of the new formats.

Regards,

Joe

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes, the good old days. The caddys didn't work out.
As an alternative, why don't you get the kids a dvd changer?

Glenn

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I think Sony's MiniDisc is the only optical-disk format that uses a caddy. I don't know if they even make those anymore (They had a Qualia model three years ago, but nobody wanted a MD player that cost 10x wat an iPod did).

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Put six of your kid's favorite movies in, and put it out of reach-- or disable the eject (demo mode) in the ultra-sekrit menu.

JeremyLG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeremy

That sounds like a good idea. I'd have to look around for that too.

Jeremy G.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
There are 300 & 400 models out too by Sony & Pioneer.

Sony once had a model out that would even flip double-sided disks, but they stopped making that, I think.
They need to come out with an HD or BD unit!

Glenn

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I have two of the Sony 400s (and have a solution to the two-sided disc problem that I can't discuss on the forum. ;)) And I'm still running low on room. Sigh. Too many TV on DVD sets. I'll have to start rotating the less-viewed ones in and out from time to time.

Regards,

Joe

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
If your kids do this to many disks, you should invest in backup software and give them the backup to use. DVD-r's are cheap, most computers have a dvd burner, and the software isn't bad either. Anydvd is my favorite.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I'm suprised no one suggested actually teaching the kids to properly handle the DVD's. At least teach them to get an adult that can properly handle the disc.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

It's not just DVDs, it is PC software and music CDs. With three kids there is always finger pointing but never responsibility....

The caddy idea is exactly what I was considering - and yes; one caddy per disk. This would provide considerable protection for disks for about the same cost as a jewel case and a new player. You could even put the label on the caddy and store your disks on the caddies. A bonus would be if there was a way to do this for my Wii disks...

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Wasn't there once some sort of clear sticker or something that you could affix to the read side of a DVD to prevent scratching of the surface?

-paul

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I'm suprised no one suggested actually teaching the kids to properly handle the DVD's.

I was thinking the same thing. With proper handling, discs never get scratched.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks