What's new

Someone help till it is to late!! (1 Viewer)

Paul Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
Hi i have an extremly important question. For christmas i got acoustic research bookshelf speakers that are and a AR subwoofer for $250 canadian. It seemed like a good deal at the time so i got it but now am not so sure. My buddy at a&b sound can give me 50% of any speaker and says that AR sucks ever since they were bought out by some company who knows where and who.
Anyways the subwoofer is the here at this link here and the bookshelfs are last years model and are AR215 kinda like the AR15's but less powerful. I have till tuesday to make my final disition.
Bye the way some of the speakers that A&B carry are energy,jbl,mission,pro-linear, and yammaha speakers. Those are the only speakers that they are athorized by the company. They have a couple others. If you think i should go with any of those with the 50% off deal. Just seemed that a 800$ energy speaker or 800$ mission bookshelp speaker was out of my 400$ price range lol. Anyways Help would be APreciated

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Hi, Paul.

The 30lb sub who's link you mention appears to have a -3dB point at 35Hz. This is wimpy performance at best.

But then for $250 getting a sub and a couple of bookshelves
is not terrible either.

How does the system sound to you?
I gather the other choices would be an additional $150, right?
Have you listened to them and compared them to what you now have?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
An 8inch sub that gets down to 35hz is great. Dont get hung up on specs, There are high dollar subs that dont go below 40hz and there are cheap subs that will go below 20 but sound like crap.Did you not do your home work before you bought these? You must have liked what you heard or you would not have bought them. It makes no difference what someone else likes, their favorites may not do well in your room. . . I lived with a sub that would only go to 40hz for 2 years and it was not cheap, it was a DIY model that used 4 ten inch drivers and the only reason I did not replace it sooner was I could not find any that sounded better at any price. I tried, I brough homw several subs including Paridigm's Servo 15 only to return them because they did not sound as good as what I had, many would go lower but with the exception of the Servo-15 none sounded as good.
I have seen (done it myself) too many people buy speakers only because of what someone else thinks. Only to always be unhappy or question what they bought. If you like the way yours sound then enjoy them, its too easy to sit back and critize what someone has bought only because the specs, you will find that often what sounds best has the worst specs. Loadspeakers in particular.

Paul Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
One question i didnt really trust the person i bought the package from. He looked like one of the scamartists you buy used cars from that end of breaking 2km away from the dealer ship. He said the sub was worth $500 dollars. Does anyone know how much the sub is really worth. Also it is in a downloadstairs with carpet and it a floorblown sub. Not so good. One thing i noticed with it is that it sounds to punchy and not rumbling. Anyways if you find a place that has the price of the subwoofer it would be apreciated and any other thoughts or commnets.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
mySimon.com gave me one result for that subwoofer's model number, $180US at Crazy Eddie's (which, coincidentally, also isn't a very reputable dealer). I paid $60US for a new pair of the 215PS on uBid and use them as surrounds, and they do a fine job.

I'm not sure if the other Acoustic Research supporters on this forum will chime in due to the enigmatic subject header, but they do have a small following here. They are owned by Recoton, not exactly a "who knows where and who" company, and I don't find the Performance Series speakers to "suck" at all, given their price point. I paid under $350US for five AR speakers (including towers as mains), and the only thing that currently disappoints me about my setup is the soon-to-be-replaced Kenwood passive subwoofer.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
AR ARPR808 8" Powered Subwoofer
Passive radiator design • slot-loaded enclosure • frequency response 28-150 Hz • 150-watt RMS amplifier • down-firing woofer
$249.99 US
Crutchfields
Performance Series powered subwoofer from Acoustic Research enables your audio system to realize its full potential for the reproduction of sound the way it is meant to be heard. In conjunction with smaller, bookshelf-type speakers, an AR subwoofer extends system capability for true full-range frequency response. With larger, floor-standing speakers, an AR subwoofer helps shoulder the burden of reproducing low-frequency information. Performance Series subwoofers are ideal for generating the tight, visceral bass that is so vital to an enjoyable music playback or engaging home theater experience.

Driver Complement and Enclosure: 8" long-throw woofer in a down-firing slot-loaded configuration with a front firing 8" passive radiator
Frequency Response: 28Hz to 150Hz
Amplification: Power output: 150 Watts RMS, LFE In/Out
Total Harmonic Distoration: 10% @ 150 Watts output
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >85 dB
Crossover Frequency (-3 dB): 50 Hz @ MIN 150 Hz @ MAX
2 pair of 5-way gold binding posts for high level in
1 pair of RCA inputs for low level input
RCA LFE input and output jacks
Finish: Black ash laminate
Dimensions (H x W x D): 13.5" x 10.25" x 13.5", (34.3cm x 26cm x 34.3cm)
Weight: 26lbs (11.9kgs)

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
This sub can be found on the web from 169.99 to 499.99, your cost of 250C is not out of line, and specs for this guy are not bad.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Okay here comes the gushing positive reviews from an AR
owner, Lover and long time supporter..

You didn't get scammed... Though I would never buy from
some guy off the street ever.... Why not buy them from a
store and get a warranty or better yet from an authorized
E-Tailer and get a warranty and save a fortune too..

Anyway..

AR is owned by the Recoton Corperation. Does that make them
a bad company? Well if it does then I guess NHT speakers
are also Garbage because Recoton owned NHT untill about last
week when Rockford Audio Group bought them out.

Recoton is nothing more than a parent company, AR is an
entity under them that does thier own thing, just like the
other 50 companies Recoton owns under thier parent company.

The Performance Series (of which your speakers are) are the
lowest line of AR speakers and are sold at the typical mass
consumer shops like Best Buy, Circuit City and other mass
market electronics shops. AR's high end lines are the Hi Res
Series and the Phantom Series which were carried by Crutchfield
and some dedicated Hi Fi mom and pop shops.

The Performance Series is a very good speaker for the money
they are no "giant killers" meaning a set of PS Bookshelfs
are not going to compete with the likes of something from
say Tannoy or ACI or any other high end company. But when
compared to JBL they are easily on par and they are way
beyond KLH and Cerwin Vega and cheaper Yamaha speakers etc.

And no the PS215's are nothing like the HiRes AR-15 or AR-17
Believe me.. I own the 216's and I own Hi Res AR9's and the
AR4C and there ain't no comparison at all between the two
lines.. They sound completely different, they use completly
different drivers, crossovers.

If you are not happy with "the sound" then by all means get
rid of them, don't live with something you are not happy
with.. But if you are apprehensive because some sales troll
told you "they suck" when he doesn't even know who the company
is, or is owned by or the reputation they have, well then
I say keep them..

Only if they sound good to you...

As far as the options you have.. JBL makes a great speaker!
And so does Mission (part of Denon) but who the heck is
Phase-Linear? Never heard of them.

Other speakers that would be in the same price range would
be KLH and they don't compare, Cerwin Vega and I don't think
CV can compare either... Yamaha.. Not bad but the AR's are
built better...

Also there is Polk Audio, Home Theater Direct (internet only)
and many others that I am sure other people can chime in and
help you with.

Good luck!

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
...but who the heck is Phase-Linear? Never heard of them.
Hi, Brett.

I don't know who owns Phase-Linear now or what product they make. I can tell you, however, that the original Phase Linear was a company founded by Bob Carver. They built the first really high powered power amps for home use back in the 70's, if my memory serves me right. They also got into preamps, noise correlators-expanders, etc. To the best of my knowledge they never got into speakers. Bob then sold the company (can't recall the buyer). Later on he started the Carver Corporation. Carver Corporation went under. Later on he started the Sunfire Corporation. He has recently restarted the Carver brand.

Paul Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
Ya didnt get the used car salsemen joke.... anyways as i read over the responses i have a few question. Right now i have my home theater set up in a basement with carpet. Down firing isnt the greatest when its being sucked up into the fabric. ALSO CONSIDER THAT IF I RETURN MY STUFF I CAN GET
50% OF ANY SPEAKER AT A&B. Just wanted to make that clear. Putting that into play, 50 percent off energy,missions,jbl, and yammaha speakers which is the better bargin. It seems that i paid about the lowest prices possable on my stuff. 160 for the sub and they sell them for about around 100 for bookshelf. Not a big fan of the bookshelfs and pretty much paid what there worth. Just wasnt sure if i was throwing away a diamond if i decide to return the sub and bookshelp since they were a package. Anyways.
I think.. not sure but 50% of those top line speakers is pretty good and better than the deal the AR. Any input would be appreciated greatly. Sorry for the bad spelling. Im just a 15 old year boy.... :frowning:

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
John,

Thanks for the clarification.. It gets hard to follow these
Audio companies at least the original big companies as they
go through all of thier re-orgs and such. It's no different
with AR either.

AR was founded by Henry Kloss who was a very instrumental
man in the audio world, if it wern't for Henry and AR we
wouldn't have the Acoustic Suspension Loudspeaker as we
know it today, he invented it..

KLH was also a Henry Kloss company and they used to be very
good in the audio world as was Jensen once upon a time.

Anyway Henry left AR, AR sold out to Teledyne and made some
speakers that are today still very desireable, then AR sold
out to Recoton and still make a great product. The Hi Res
Line has received Stereophile Class B status and that's no
small feat for any company, I know Stereophile caters to
thier advertisers but AR has never been a big advertiser in
the magazine or in any magazine for that matter.

Paul,

Like I said, if you do not like the way they sound then by
all means take them back. You shouldn't keep something that
does not make you completely happy.

Go listen to the other brands.. See if any sound better and
if they do then by all means bring home what makes you happy.

As far as the sub is concerned.. Downfiring against carpet
means absolutely nothing.. Bass frequencies are non directional
and travel through solids with ease.. The passive radiator
in the sub is also moving air in a horizontal fashion so
the downfiring driver is really a non issue. The best thing
to do to any sub is to couple it to the solid floor beneath
the carpet and padding and that is done by using sharp pointed
spikes where the feet are.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Paul, It sounds like you have "Buyers Remorse" and you are determined to get the best deal you can, thats not a bad thing. . .But. . . Lets slow down a minute, first a down fireing sub (my sp is no good either) on a carpet does not hurt besides this woofer has a front fireing passive radiater which sends a lot of sound out into the room, carpet, drapes, bookshelfs full of books, sofas all help not hurt bass response.
Still we have the unanswered question. . . Reguardless of the price you paid and the (yes I got the joke) salesman do you like the sound of this speaker system? If no then by all means take it back and get what you do like.
I think what a couple of us are trying to do (I know I am) is to help you make a logical, informed decision and not trade just for the sake of trading, and not let someones else cload your judgement because it is your expectations and hearing to be concerned with.
2nd question, Are you sure your buddy is sincere or does he just want to make a sale? 50% off sounds great on the surface but 50% off of what? Msrp? When you are looking at 400 dollar systems do you really think you are going to get it for 200 dollars? Sometimes you do for open box, demos, discontinued or slow movers.
Make sure you give what you have a fair shot.
I am getting a little too much in your buisness and I am sorry for that. I am a compulsive buyer myself and have had to learn the hard way too many times. I get it in my head I dont like something and Jesus couldnt change my mind. Many, many times I would have been ahead to stop and think about just what am I trying to accomplish good sound or a good deal, it is nice to have both, but like buying cars you look and look and make your best deal only to pick up the paper in the morning and find the same car all over town sometimes thousands of dollars cheaper. . .
BTW if you go by MSRP you got over 50% off already. . .

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Guy,
Amen to that! Completely... Well said..
Ugg don't even get me started on cars :)
I am never happy.. I have a brand new vette in the garage
(it's my 4th one..) and now I am thinking about trading
it on a yellow Hummer H2.. What am I NUTS? (Yes.. And no
I am not trading it...)
LOL
I now return you to speaker chat!

Paul Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
Well actually its not 50% but he will give me at coast. And speakers are marked up usally about 40%. Buyers remorse... im not sure i just dont like having the felling not knowing if you made the right desision. Being 15 with no job you 35 year olds make quite a bit more than me. 300$ isnt just another paycheck. Holy shit i sound like a god dam therapist. Anyways.... i bought my Yamaha from my friend, actually my friends older brother but he gives me family and friends disconts and was really happy with the service i got. Also i think you read the first post wrong. It was actually Pro-Linear. A shit company for people who dont know anything about speakers, yes even less than i know. Brett... can i come live with you. HOly shit i am tierd and i got school tommorow. im just babling on now what ever is on my mind... i am the worst desision maker EVER!!! I got it from my god dam dad... he can never make a decision he will pertend he dosnt here you and you have to ask him a 100000000000000000 times before he answers. now all these different oppinoins.. ahhhh im going insane!!!

Paul Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
bye the way you dont need to be sorry about being in my buisness... at least your not some freak hacking and finding out about my life on that show can't remember but he ruins some guys life and gets ride of his identity. ya that was a good movie.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Paul,

Ya know what? I like your style heh your next to the last
post made me laugh! I needed that, thanks!

I'm not 35 and it's "not just another paycheck" I wish
but there is no doubt it's not easy when your 15 I know
I remember it well...

I would go listen to all the brands that you can as soon
as you can, try and be objective and decide which provides
the best sound. When you do demo all of the different speakers
try and have them hooked up to the same source components
and use the same music and the same volume. And then you
can make an easy decision on what you like best.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Jeezus, if you can get 50% off any speaker at A&B sound, I would highly recommend you go with 4 Dynaudio 42's with matching center and sub. Either that or the Energy Veritas speaker series. or just set me up with your buddy and I'd be lafffin!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks