What's new

So WHEN will we ever see a remastered keepcase of edition of THE MATRIX? (1 Viewer)

Curt_B

Agent
The boxset has it-but im not the least interested in the sequels.

oops-"keepcase edition OF the Matrix"

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
nah forget that I just want my HD version to watch on my new 1080p set!

(edit...in retrospect, that was completely off topic...so sorry...haha just got a little excited about the new TV...)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hey, gang, I was wondering if there's an individual release of the remastered version of the Matrix (1st film of the series). I have the original ('99?) std DVD release but from reading the review at DVDTalk regarding the '06 Matrix Box Set, it contains the remastered version of the 1st film but I didn't see it available individually. Is that correct? I have the other 2 films' original releases but I'm mainly wanting the 1st film's remastered (std) release.

I have another somewhat "OT" question but since it includes this film, here goes :D

I watched the Matrix HD broadcast recently via my DirecTV HD provider and I have a question about HD broadcasts of movies in general as compared to the Std WS Anamorphic version of the same film on DVD. When I view the Matrix via DirecTV HD and compare it to my '99 Matrix std WS anamorphic DVD, I get the vertical "letterbox" bars displayed on my WS TV (TV is set to 16:9 normal mode) with the DVD but with the DirecTV broadcast of the same film, there's no letterbox bars displayed (entire screen is used for the movie). I've seen the same thing with some other movies when comparing my WS Anamorpphic DVD releases as well, ie the film "U571" (2000, Bill Paxton, Matthew McConaughey). Actually, I noticed this with that movie when I upgraded my DirecTV service to HD and was comparing the HD broadcast video Q with my std DVD upconverted to 1080P. The same thing is present with this film as the Matrix, the letterbox bars with the DVD but not with the HD broadcast movie version.

Jeff "And I thought I understood Anamorphic/letterbox, etc" W. :laugh:

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Jeff, seems that DirecTV was zooming in on the picture. You know, so no one calls to bitch about the pesky black bars. But of course you would be missing picture information, just not as much as if it were pan and scan.
If i recall the remastered Matrix has a new color scheme, to make it match the other two movies. Some dont mind, and some do. So if you mind keep the old disc.
I watched the Blu-ray of the first film last weekend, amazing picture, and it was the correct aspect ratio.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
"Sequels"? What are you talking about? There's no Matrix sequels.

;)

I'd be interrested in a stand-alone The Matrix edition, too.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's a flyer in some Warner Blu-ray releases that talks about a 10th anniversary edition of The Matrix on Blu-ray (they're probably just the discs from the Ultimate box rather than something new). Maybe when that is released, there will be a DVD release too.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Well, the MATRIX finally comes in a separate keepcase with a ©2007 date, so I thought for sure they would have included the remastered in 2002 (?) boxset version after all these years, but the disc opens to a blank panel on the desktop-ie: no VOB files or dates to view. Very odd.
So I use the 'Get info' right click on my Mac, and again -very weird- it states 'The Matrix 16x9 letterbox N America' at the top of the panel, with a 'created/modified' August 1999 transfer date....I thought to myself when I viewed it a few weeks ago that it didnt look so hot like people raved about when the remaster in the deluxe 4,5,6 (?) disc box came out...now I know why-the same 1999 DVD transfer GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
FOR SHAME WARNER!

I have waited and waited until they would surely have put the remaster out-5 years later and in a keepcase.
With a 2007 date on the box, it would not be unreasonable to expect the remastered version. I was wrong. Got it from Amazon...

Then even weirder-the box/UPC catalog number is 116317-the disc-with no © date-is #17737.....

Even weirder-I hold the disc up to light to read the inner hubs ......matrix numbers- #017737 'Made in Canada' Nowhere on the box or disc label does it state such. I thought, by law, that this info was supposed to be noted in a readable form on the package. Like outside.

Someone has some 'splainin to do-anyone know how to get ahold of the appropriate people at Warner?
Now Im really mad.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>>If there was nothing listing the contents of the Ultimate Edition disc and it lists the contents of the first release, why would have expected them to use the new disc?
-------
I dont follow you.

I am unfamiliar with the extras on either-and I could care less. And they might not have added any of them to boot-all I had hoped to get was the standalone Remaster-thinking the title should have been upgraded by now, after 5 years-as im pretty sure theyve sold all the boxes they can as it has probably reached saturation levels

My only thought was-hmmmm how'd this slip by me?

Again, new case, new cr-date-and their sitting on a remaster and a "will release it one day" now for a few years-I guess that I should have known that without fanfare, dancing girls, a 21 gun salute and stickers proclaiming REMASTERED! I shouldnt have been so naive....

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So it's WB's fault that you assumed that, despite absolutely no changes to the contents listed or the cover art, the disc had a new transfer? Maybe if they had changed the cover art or if there was something saying that there was anything new, I could understand your point but picking up a disc with the exact same image used since 1999 wouldn't make me think that it's a new product.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
As someone pointed out here a few posts above, there are definite plans from Warner for a 10th Anniversary Edition nex year.

Yes, guys, 10 YEARS already.

As for the remastered color scheme, I own both the original DVD release and the Ultimate DVD box set, and yes, the one in the set is way, waaaaaaaay greener, as per the Wachos instructions, to match the later two films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks