What's new

so Does Anyone here like 80s Music? (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Here's HEART's, THERE'S THE GIRL . . . I had such a crush on Nancy Wilson when I saw this video. I was in high school when this came out. Weird, how you can see someone on TV, or in a music video, and get smitten with them. When I grew up I wanted to have a girlfriend who was hot like her. Never did find that girl. And, seeing this video, for the first time in decades, brought all that high school era back to me. The world made sense back then. And this video, and that song, still turns me on.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
And, then there's HEART's, STRANDED . . . which always reminds me of my first girlfriend.

Yeah, it's been that kind of a day.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
CUTTING CREW'S, "I JUST DIED IN YOUR ARMS TONIGHT," . . . another song that reminds me of a girl. This one was from grade school, when I saw her again a year later in high school her personality had done a one-eighty, and not for the good. Partying, drinking, dating much older guys. Saw her a few years ago at the local Wal-Mart. I was in my mid-30s at the time, and she looked like she was in her 50s or 60s! What a shock and a disappointment! Yeah, looks like it's gonna be one of those weeks.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The 1980s could be broken into different groups

1. New Wave (depeche mode, new order, psychedelic furs, OMD,duran duran, icicle works, etc)

2. Pop Rock (Madonna, Phil Collins, Mister Mister)

3. Hair Band Rock (Bon Jovi, Poison, Winger, KISS)

4. Heavy Metal (Motorhead, slayer)

5. Rap/Dance (Tone Lonc, soul to soul, etc)

I grew up in the 1980s and it was an interesting especially with tv and music video. I remember going to highschool dances back in Woodstock, Ontario and the music was quite the variety. The 1980s was about video technology. You could not sell an album unless you had a music video.

Here are my favourite songs/videos

1. Come on Eileen

2. Whisper to a Scream

3. Runaway

4. LOVE Machine

5. Lick it up

6. Jump

7. Back to Life

8. Dont Answer Me

9. It must be Love

10. From whom the bells toll

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Shawn, I think Nancy Wilson just got divorced (after something like 20 years of marriage!). Maybe you can catch her on the rebound. ;)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Nothing good ever came from a rebound romance, except for a lot of sex.

Concerning that Cutting Crew video I posted, that song and that video popped into my head when I was cruising the internet looking for THESE DREAMS, then, the next day, I'm sitting in the dentist's chair, and that song comes over the TV they've got in the room. Eerie, man, like, totally eerie.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i still remember Nancy Wilson driving the car in the Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I missed the good ole 1980s movies, which also had a great sound track.

1. Fast times at Ridgmont high (Cars, Jackson Browne)

2. Wierd Science (Oingo Boingo)

3. Private School (Stray Cats, Bill Wray)

4. Breakfast Club (OMD)

5. St Elmos Fire (John Parr)

6. Footloose (Kenny Loggins, Bonnie Tyler)

7. Pretty in Pink (psyadelic furs)

8. Top Gun (Berlin, loverboy)

9. Visonquest (Madonna)

10. Can't buy me Love (Beattles)

11. Karate Kid (Banarama)

12. Wild Life (ACDC)

13. Sixteen Candles (Stray Cats)

14. Beverlu Hills Cop (Pointer Sister, Vanity 6)

So, many movies in the 1980s, but they all had one thing in common and that was a soundtrack!!!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
My collection is largely made up of 80's music - most of it consisting of latin Freestyle - Stacey Q, Liz Torres and others. It was pretty much a genre ignored by most people around that time (mid to late 80's) but savored and appreciated by those of us who enjoyed the post-Disco/alternative sounds emerging from the club scene. I was calling it Dance music until someone pointed out that it was officially called Freestyle. It died out in the early 90's but I've got most of the stuff "in the can" so to speak.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just bought tickets to see Dead Man's Party, a Oingo Boingo tribute band. I'm going on January 8th. Should be fun even if there's no Elfman.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
OK, so perhaps I'm not the only one who's excited that Phil Collins' "Face Value" and "No Jacket Required" are available (the former) or are coming soon (the latter) on Audio Fidelity and remastered by Steve Hoffman?!

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89306

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89668

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Connor -

Great choice, also one of my favorite Cure songs. I am clearly an "alternative 80s" guy but here is a good rocker from the 80s - Tesla! (Sorry you have to suffer through a short commercial)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Since I was a teen in the 80s, no surprise that I love the stuff. Favourite band at the time was Spandau Ballet, whom I still like, but these days between the two I might marginally prefer Duran Duran, oddly.

The other oddity is that I'm 'discovering' other 80s acts which I didn't pay much attention to back in the 80s themselves. E.g. Heart (ref to Nancy Wilson earlier...), The Police/Sting, Bowie. The other thing I've found over the years is also a love for 70s music. And generally, I can't stand anything that came out in the 90s and later. Oh well.

As an aside, Music & Lyrics was about a washed-up 80s pop-star, and although the songs for the soundtrack were newly written, they were deliberately written and produced "80s style". Oddly enough, it actually worked! I can really imagine them as having come out in the 80s.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming
The other oddity is that I'm 'discovering' other 80s acts which I didn't pay much attention to back in the 80s themselves. E.g. Heart (ref to Nancy Wilson earlier...), The Police/Sting, Bowie. The other thing I've found over the years is also a love for 70s music. And generally, I can't stand anything that came out in the 90s and later. Oh well.

You cannot go wrong with any old Police stuff, it's fantastic.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ron Reda

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89306

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89668

To quote myself, DO NOT BOTHER with this version of Face Value. It sounds maybe a shade better than the plain old mid-80's aluminum version, so save your money.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Love 80's music given it was my high school years! Been listening to Night Ranger and U2 lately....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks