What's new

So Arcam think Sony will support DVD-A next year.... (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Phil- John might be talking about the Marantz 12 S1 and 12 S2. (I might not have the model numbers right.) One was a beefy SACD player, and the other was a beefy DVD-A player. I read at least one review of the DVD-A version that said everything was there to do SACD, except Marantz's desire (at that point in time). ;)

I would certainly look forward to a Rotel universal player. I know that their CD players are very favorably looked up by "those who know".

John- ... Well, errr, ummm, maybe the 5910! :D

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Yes Kevin you're right the DV-12S1 was a DVD-A/DVD-V player. The local audio shop never had one on the store was something like $3.8k(?) list. I believe they also had a SA-12S1 at the same time that was an SACD/DVD-V player too that was not cheap. The local audio shop never got one of these in either. They slipped my mind as they just had one SA-1 in before getting the SA-14 and then the universal machines.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
That's correct, there were two models, both based on the SACD1000. One played DVD-A, the other SA-CD.

Makes you go hmmmmm.....

Cheers,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
In many ways a good universal player would do well in the market. If it were an ES machine then I think that it would be cool, particularly one with the latest video chips.

My frustration is that the music business does not seem to be in synch with the video business, meaning that the majors are blowing a major chance for one unifying format such as hirez HD-DVD or hirez BluRay (either one would be fine for me as long as we avoid a format war and get the best possible video).

I think the key to getting mass acceptance is to make things simple and easily understood. Having one machine that does everything would be nice...

1. Hirez audio in PCM
2. Hirez audio in DSD
3. Hidef video

Maybe even something that is compatible with digital music downloads, data, and photo storage.

It seems to me we spend a lot of energy on "format wars" but we would all be happier discussing what new titles are coming out and what titles got us jazzed up recently.

That is actually what first attracted me to the site in 97 as DVD was exploding. I could check on transfer quality here and do my shopping better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks