What's new

Smallville as a blind buy (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I watched an episode of this last night (the one where Clark loses his site and his hearing gets stronger)and I enjoyed it. I know the first season is out already and was wondering if this is a good blind buy. What can those of you who watch tell me about the show?

Would it be worth the buy?

Rob T

Screenwriter
it's full of kryptonite freaks of the week episodes, but I think it's fairly ok.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Overall, Smallville is a good show. There was a tendency to have a lot of "freak" or "villian" of the week shows during the first season, but it was still quite good. The second season picked up with more ongoing storylines. I recommend both seasons, if you liked what you saw last night.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm not comfortable recommending any blind buys, because who knows what someone else likes? I bought Smallville: S1 the day it came out, as a virtual blind purchase: like you, I had seen one episode on TV, and I enjoyed it enough to take a chance on a season set. Long story short, I loved both the first and second seasons, and eagerly await the third.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The show is beginning the 4th season this fall. Season 3 is the only one not yet released on DVD, and early rumblings indicate a late 2004 release in case you wondered.

I saw half of season 1 when it aired, and picked up the set. I wasn't too impressed with it. I've heard the show really picks up in the 2nd and 3rd seasons, but it just lost my interest.

Why don't you try renting the first couple discs. At least that'll give you more of an idea about the show.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I like Smallville a lot but like Robert said, try renting the first disc or two and you'll have a better idea. You could also watch a couple of more reuns if you don't want to rent but I wouldn;t recommend that since it could spoil the earlier seasons if you do decide to eventually buy them.

Brent C

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if you enjoyed "Whisper"(which is the episode where Clark loses his sight, but gains super-hearing), then you probably wouldn't be bothered by the "Freak-of-the-week" episodes that dominate the first half of the first season. Besides, each of those episodes really help you get to know the main characters and the settings of the town.

Then, as the first season finale approaches and the show gets into the second season, it moves into a more on-going storyline and starts to focus on, what I think is a fresh and exciting take on the Superman mythology. Plus, the characters evolve and certain characters who weren't that important in the first season become some of the show's greatest assets.

So if you're interested, I recommend checking Sunday ads for a sale on the DVD sets or try wholesale clubs like Sam's and Costco for the best price(Under $40 each).

I also have a feeling that BB and CC will probably have some kind of deal on Season 1 and 2 when the 3rd season is released later this year.

Hope this helps! ;)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Agreed. The FoW episodes usually deal with Clark figuring out how to use a new power, or hone an old one. The second and third seasons deal much more with the mythology, which is even more interesting...so I think you'll enjoy the show based on your post.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

Why did his webspace server go down? :)

I've watched all three seasons, and it's a enjoyable show.
Is there/are there any plans for Season 4? KK and AM are lovely :-D

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Ha! I just noticed my typo. Yeah well I was typing fast! LOL!

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked for Smallville to rent and can't find it anywhere. I'll keep searching. Thanks.

Blu

Screenwriter
I bought Smallville S1 on a blind buy and if it ever gets past the Freak of the Week and into a story that it seems to hint at then I think it would be a better show. I am about 1/2 way through the first season and am hoping it picks up.

Brent C

Stunt Coordinator
Trust me it does.

And like most shows, it gets even better in it's second season, thanks to John Glover becoming a regular, and the appearance of a certain super guest star in episode 17. :)

I think most fans in this thread will agree with that, right? :D

Christopher D

Second Unit
I bought it blind and am enjoying it a lot. There *is* a bit much freak of the week in season 1, but the rest makes up for it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I like the fact that while it is episodic, it also has a thread running throughout it. Maybe that's common now, but I'm used to shows that are purely episodic, where what happened last week is never mentioned again and may as well never have happened. In both seasons I've seen, this show is good at finding a McGuffin to serve as a focal point for a lot of what happens:

The necklace in season 1, the key in season 2

Beyond McGuffins, there are also little storylines that are carried from episode to episode. That really helps it feel like a saga, instead of just a show, if you understand what I'm saying.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
This is a hard one.

I would say to start with Season 2, but if you do that you might be missing out on some things from Season 1.

But if Season 1 bores you, you will lose interest and miss out on the very good Season 2. I didnt start watching unil really Season 2. I think if I would have seen Season 1 first, I would have lost interest. Filled with way too many monster of the week episodes. Now, I dont mind some, but it gets to be tedious and too much of the same thing.

Season 2 is more story driven which really makes it better. Episodes follow up on each other, things lead into more things, etc. Season 2 held my interest all the way through, Although, I did get through the season in 2 days.

I would say start with Season 2. The show seems easy to follow up on and Season 2 does recap things from Season 1 as they go along. So you really shouldnt miss all that much.

I pretty much started with Season 2(only saw two S1 episodes before seeing S2) and I was able to follow it just fine.

Season 1 just seemed like filler to me. Both following seasons are better IMO.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
if you haven't already picked any of these up yet, i would agree that you would probably be better off starting with Season 2.
then depending on how much you like that, or not, you can consider getting S1.

the problem with S1 is formula.
its basically the same exact show every week.
kryptonite meteor rock has influenced some strange power in someone who comes to smallville and does some damage, and Clark ends up being the one to stop them, along the way finding he has a new ability.
Season 2 has this feeling at times as well, but it has a more substantial 'thru-line', the McGuffin that Greg spoke about.
even with plenty of good episodes in S2, when i think back to it, it still feels overwhelmingly stifled by it's own adjunct formula-
there is threat to someone or something in Clarks life,
Clark does his best to overcome it and almost suceeds, but
it looks like he will come up short and that brute force or good intentions aren't enough,
when all of a sudden Lex rides in to save the day by throwing his money and influence around.
"thanks Lex, you're a good friend".
"don't mention it Clark."

after the first 7 or 8 times, this pattern starts to grate a little.

that said, i was a big fan of the first Superman film as a young kid, and felt the potential of that film was betrayed by all the sequels (including 2).
even with its faults, i find Smallville, on the whole, to be a worthy companion to that first film.

haven't seen S3 yet, but i enjoyed watching S2 again with the dvd set, and will more than likely pick it up when it streets.
don't own S1 for the reasons already menitoned.
a little of the formula goes a long way, and S2 already has enough of it, itself.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Just got myself season 2 and 3 today at Costco ($39.99). I am just glad that I no longer half to wait for the family channel to air them. I think I missed a week of there reruns.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
So, you enjoyed it, then? I'm still not watching it "live," but I can't wait for season 4. That should catch everyone up for season 5.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'm really starting to hate this show and almost regret my earlier endorsement.
i'll try to spare much of the bile i spewed over it in the Superman Returns thread in the movie forum, except to say that i had only watched the first few of the season 3 episodes when WB rebroadcast the season ender along with the opener to S4 both of which i watched and was really pissed off to find that the show hadn't gone anywhere with all the Kryptonian Destiny posturing. it was still giving off this "oo something big is coming!" vibe and then not paying it off and worse, pulling a "what just happened? i can't remember anything?" "oh, i'm so glad everythings back to normal again, son" and totally ignoring the repurcussions of those events by next episode (which of course reverts back to the freak of the week formula).
ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks