What's new

Smallville as a blind buy (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I started watching this on the family channel when they reaired it in October. Then they stopped airing it in December and I missed the start of it again...that is what promted the dvd buy.

Anyway, I finished Season 2 ( I only missed the last two episodes when family channel stopped it). Great show! I am looking forward to starting season 3.

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
I've started renting these, and have only gotten to episode 8. Although it's a nice enough show, the characters seem to be going absolutely nowhere. It seems to be - Clark is scared of asking Lana out, Lex organises it for him, he stands her up because he's fighting the newly created baddie from the first 10 mins who you don't care about, everything ends just how it started.

News that it changes formula soon will encourage me to stick with it, as it's getting tired quick!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Towards the end of Season 1 they start going for an overall arc and not a moment too soon. The freak of the week got old real quick. After Season 1 the series is really good.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
James ~ I felt the same way about season one. Season two gets better and so far I am enjoying season three. I really enjoy this show and I am glad I purchased it on dvd.

One thing I am worried about is some people have warned me that season 4 is not as good as they had hoped for.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Lanie and co,

Will I like Smallville? Im really into Buffy, Angel, 24; among a few others. I know I can Netflix the episodes but am curious to what you guys have to say.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Matt ~ I've never seen Buffy , Angel or 24, but my guess is yes, since most fans of those shows seem to enjoy Smallville.

Be warned that season 1 isn't the best season, but you learn about the characters and the get a feel for the storylines that greet you into season 2.

I enjoy the show alot. Give it a try since you can Netflix it.

James D

Second Unit
Matt-I'm into all of the series that you've mentioned and I can easily recommend Smallville. You just can't beat watching TV shows on DVD over a few days. I watched Season 3 last year and thought that it was just average, but I just finished watching it over a few days on DVD and thought that it was great. One of the advantages of watching it on DVD is that if you get a mediocre episode, it's straight on to the next whereas watching it on broadcast, you have to fume about it for an entire week. My only gripe with Smallville is the character of Lana Lane. I find her to be very annoying. Season 3 is paticularly good if you're into the battle raging between Lex and Lionel Luther.
Lanie-what are you waiting for with 24, Angel and Buffy? You should check them out-you'll thank me, but your bank account won't.:)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
James ~ I have really been wanting to try Buffy ( I've seen a few episodes here and there on reruns) and 24 is next on my list of dvds to borrow from a friend of mine.

Right now the biggest problem is ....of course, money. I am still kicking myself for not picking up season 1 and 2 of Buffy when I saw it at a used movie/book store for $18 each.

Eventually, I will watch Buffy and 24.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

And dont forget Angel; but you cant start it till you reach S4 of Buffy.

And you have to watch all three shows (24, Buffy Angel) in order or youll be screwed up.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I now have access to season 1 of 24 and can't wait. Hoping that maybe by summer I can get Buffy S1 and S2.

I am 2 episodes into S3 of Smallville, but for some reason I haven't been able to just sit and watch my show, things have been so busy lately.

*needs some free time*

LizH

Second Unit
^ Of course, this is assuming there IS a Season 5. :rolleyes

"LOST" has been mopping the floor with SV all season. :frowning:

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I hope there is a season 5. Smallville is such a better show than Lost. I don't even watch lost anymore. I'm taking my time with season 3 of Smallville so that I don't have withdrawls between the end and the release of season 4.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I'm sure there will be a Season 5, the WB probably won't cancel one of their top-rated shows, unless their executives get possessed by meteor rocks or something like that. :)

LizH

Second Unit
It USED to be one of their top-rated shows.

It's been pulling down 3's and 4's this year :frowning: (It did 5's and 6's when it was on Tuesday.)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
It's definitely down b/c of Lost and now AI, but I think they'd give it a chance on another night before cancelling it. I don't think any show that the WB would put in that timeslot would do much better than Smallville, I guess we'll have to see if it can hold steady next Wednesday when it comes back.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I'd really like to get the opinions of those who are currently watching S4... will S4 be worth buying. I am almost done with S3 and I've heard from a few people that they hate S4 and that I shouldn't waste my money when it comes out.

Help me out here guys!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
There's Still Enough to recommend about season 4 but it is definately the weaker of the 4 seasons so far

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
IMO Season 4 is worth buying.It's my favorite season of all of them, probably because there is less Clark and Lana which means less angst, and less of Lana and "people keeping secrets"(but heaven knows she's the only one allowed too :rolleyes:) which is a good thing.

Jane Seymour has been in a few episodes this season, and Margot Kidder was as well, so IMO it's worth buying, especially considering Lois Lane is now part of the cast.

Then again like someone said it all goes by personal preference :)

From what I've read there will most likely be a 5th season, the WB can't afford to lose 5 million viewers when they don't have that many truly hit shows besides 7th Heaven, Gilmore Girls and Smallville which are there top 3 rated shows on the network. :)

The producers have said they only want to go 5 seasons and no more though

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks