What's new

Pre-Order Sleeping Beauty: The Signature Collection (1959) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Cover art sucks, but who looks at it aside from the person who takes it off the shelf to run it on a display? Personally, I would not be interested in these new re-issues. Call them Diamond or Platinum or whatever, I would call them Kryptonite. Each time these goddam "upgrades" hit the market, special features from previous editions magically disappear. The most egregious example of this (offhand) is the fact that, not one, but both of the two audio commentaries from animators and other personnel have been unceremoniously dropped for the Blu-ray. WTF? How much effort would have been involved in porting these audio tracks over? God, I hate Disney now.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Cover art sucks, but who looks at it aside from the person who takes it off the shelf to run it on a display? Personally, I would not be interested in these new re-issues. Call them Diamond or Platinum or whatever, I would call them Kryptonite. Each time these goddam "upgrades" hit the market, special features from previous editions magically disappear. The most egregious example of this (offhand) is the fact that, not one, but both of the two audio commentaries from animators and other personnel have been unceremoniously dropped for the Blu-ray. WTF? How much effort would have been involved in porting these audio tracks over? God, I hate Disney now.

I didn't know the DVD originally had an audio commentary, just checked my copy of the 50th Anniversary and it's listed in the DVD guide booklet.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
That's the John Lasseter/Leonard Maltin track. There's another one with Eyvind Earle, Ollie Johnston, Marc Davis, Mary Costa and others that to my knowledge was only on the very first DVD from 2003.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's the John Lasseter/Leonard Maltin track. There's another one with Eyvind Earle, Ollie Johnston, Marc Davis, Mary Costa and others that to my knowledge was only on the very first DVD from 2003.
Correct which is the reason why I placed those DVD discs into my 2008 BD case.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow! That jogged the memory! Now I remember that...though I never could get it working as it depended upon the network connection.

I still have that disc. I wonder if that feature is still active

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Sleeping Beauty is my favorite classic under Walt's aegis. That said, this will be a pass for me as I already own 3 separate copies of this - the DVD, original deluxe Diamond Blu and Platinum, plus, have hung on to my LaserDisc, for pure nostalgia (no longer own an LD player). Would love a 4K, with deluxe red velvet packaging or some such like they did for the original roll out of Snow White.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I just saw this Steelbook cover and it looks much better. I don't know if this is maybe an exclusive to Best Buy or Disney Movie Club.

6360035_so.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's a Best Buy exclusive. All of the Signature Collection titles have had their steelbooks at Best Buy. I agree it looks much better, but it's not enough to make me want to upgrade my Platinum Edition.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I have the Diamond edition. Can't find it.

This all the features included. This is from blu-ray.com's review.

New Supplemental Features

• Deleted Scenes (HD, 13 minutes): "No evil thing that walks or flies or creeps or crawls can ever pass these castle walls!" Three new, never before seen deleted scenes -- "The Curse is Fulfilled," "The Arrival of Maleficent: Alternate Scene" and "The Fair" -- are presented by way of original storyboards, narration and newly recorded voicework.
  • The Art of Evil: Generations Of Disney Villains (HD, 10 minutes): Animators Lino DiSalvo (Frozen) and Andreas Deja (Aladdin, The Lion King) share memories of their favorite Disney villains and discuss the keys to creating memorable antagonists, all while looking back at the career, contributions and iconic characters of classic Disney animator, Marc Davis (Sleeping Beauty, among many others), who appears via vintage interview snippets.
  • DisneyAnimation: Artists in Motion (HD, 4 minutes): This extended version of the previously released featurette follows Disney visual development artist Brittney Lee (Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen) as she constructs a paper sculpture of Maleficent.
  • Once Upon a Parade (HD, 9 minutes): Modern Family's Sarah Hyland shares the fairy tale "history" of Walt Disney World's new Festival of Fantasy parade with a small group of young Disney tourists.
  • Beauty-Oke: Once Upon A Dream (HD, 3 minutes): A dynamic sing-along for "Once Upon a Dream."

Previously Released Bonus Features

• Audio Commentary: Film historian and longtime Disney collaborator Leonard Maltin, supervising animator Andreas Deja and John Lasseter cover the art and legacy of Sleeping Beauty. The three share personal anecdotes and experiences around the film, from childhood impressions to conversations with its original animators. (Lindsay Mayer)
  • The Sound Of Beauty: Restoring A Classic (HD, 11 minutes): Presented in AVC with DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio, this featurette sits down with Randy Thornton and Terry Porter, the sound restoration technicians that worked on the film's [2008 50th Anniversary Edition] lossless mix. As the men point out with "before and after" comparisons, the lack of compression has yielded hidden intricacies of the soundtrack that have been lost for decades. As Walt Disney Music President Chris Montan makes clear, the difference is quite audible, and it makes the luscious experience of the film that much better, with sound and music to match the picture. (LM)
  • Picture Perfect: The Making Of Sleeping Beauty (HD, 44 minutes): Historians and former and current Disney employees alike reminisce on the film's production and cover everything from its music to its many talented animators. One really gets a feel for how painstaking a creation this film was, when the high design standards only allowed for one to three finished drawings a day. Given that 24 drawings are needed for a single second of footage, it's safe to say the film took quite a while to fully animate. (LM)
  • Eyvind Earle: A Man And His Art (HD, 8 minutes): Focuses squarely on the life and career of Sleeping Beauty's talented art director. Earle directly painted or at least supervised the production of every single background seen in the film, with incredible amounts of detail crammed into every angle. (LM)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This all the features included. This is from blu-ray.com's review.

New Supplemental Features

• Deleted Scenes (HD, 13 minutes): "No evil thing that walks or flies or creeps or crawls can ever pass these castle walls!" Three new, never before seen deleted scenes -- "The Curse is Fulfilled," "The Arrival of Maleficent: Alternate Scene" and "The Fair" -- are presented by way of original storyboards, narration and newly recorded voicework.
  • The Art of Evil: Generations Of Disney Villains (HD, 10 minutes): Animators Lino DiSalvo (Frozen) and Andreas Deja (Aladdin, The Lion King) share memories of their favorite Disney villains and discuss the keys to creating memorable antagonists, all while looking back at the career, contributions and iconic characters of classic Disney animator, Marc Davis (Sleeping Beauty, among many others), who appears via vintage interview snippets.
  • DisneyAnimation: Artists in Motion (HD, 4 minutes): This extended version of the previously released featurette follows Disney visual development artist Brittney Lee (Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen) as she constructs a paper sculpture of Maleficent.
  • Once Upon a Parade (HD, 9 minutes): Modern Family's Sarah Hyland shares the fairy tale "history" of Walt Disney World's new Festival of Fantasy parade with a small group of young Disney tourists.
  • Beauty-Oke: Once Upon A Dream (HD, 3 minutes): A dynamic sing-along for "Once Upon a Dream."

Previously Released Bonus Features

• Audio Commentary: Film historian and longtime Disney collaborator Leonard Maltin, supervising animator Andreas Deja and John Lasseter cover the art and legacy of Sleeping Beauty. The three share personal anecdotes and experiences around the film, from childhood impressions to conversations with its original animators. (Lindsay Mayer)
  • The Sound Of Beauty: Restoring A Classic (HD, 11 minutes): Presented in AVC with DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio, this featurette sits down with Randy Thornton and Terry Porter, the sound restoration technicians that worked on the film's [2008 50th Anniversary Edition] lossless mix. As the men point out with "before and after" comparisons, the lack of compression has yielded hidden intricacies of the soundtrack that have been lost for decades. As Walt Disney Music President Chris Montan makes clear, the difference is quite audible, and it makes the luscious experience of the film that much better, with sound and music to match the picture. (LM)
  • Picture Perfect: The Making Of Sleeping Beauty (HD, 44 minutes): Historians and former and current Disney employees alike reminisce on the film's production and cover everything from its music to its many talented animators. One really gets a feel for how painstaking a creation this film was, when the high design standards only allowed for one to three finished drawings a day. Given that 24 drawings are needed for a single second of footage, it's safe to say the film took quite a while to fully animate. (LM)
  • Eyvind Earle: A Man And His Art (HD, 8 minutes): Focuses squarely on the life and career of Sleeping Beauty's talented art director. Earle directly painted or at least supervised the production of every single background seen in the film, with incredible amounts of detail crammed into every angle. (LM)

Yup, found them, so I was wrong. Took me long enough to navigate to them, but there are two commentaries.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So far there hasn't been any real benefit to animation in 4k.

I agree with you 100%:rolleyes:

Looks like the only the top tier animated classics (biggest money makers) get the 4K treatment. Well I would say I'm surprised, but this is Disney. The only real concern for them is the almighty dollar, which I'm sure is worshipped and praised.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
4K advantage: 10 bit format, not restricted to BT.709 colour, and a modest HDR pass. Most of all, preserving the texture of film grain this movie would have, scanned from the best film element. HD Blu-ray just can't reproduce it well enough. I'd hope for a 4K edition of this, one of my favourite Disney animations.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'd love to see Fantasia in 4K.... if it ever comes out, that is. It's the only title of the (originally planned) 13 Signature Collection films that hasn't come out (or been officially announced) yet. That original list didn't include Sleeping Beauty, so... I guess all bets are off.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Is this the exact same transfer over the last whatever years the keep re-churning out on Blu?

Also what’s up with that cover-is Aurora sleep walking?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks