What's new

Pre-Order Sleeping Beauty: The Signature Collection (1959) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is this the exact same transfer over the last whatever years the keep re-churning out on Blu?

Since they are not doing a 4K release and therefore don't need to do a new 4K master, I would assume it's probably the same transfer.

The Little Mermaid Signature Blu-ray got a new transfer, but they also did a 4K version of it, so that makes sense. Since this is just a standard Blu-ray double dip, I don't see any real reason to think they would bother updating the transfer they've already released twice.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
4K advantage: 10 bit format, not restricted to BT.709 colour, and a modest HDR pass. Most of all, preserving the texture of film grain this movie would have, scanned from the best film element. HD Blu-ray just can't reproduce it well enough. I'd hope for a 4K edition of this, one of my favourite Disney animations.

Especially since this was shot in Technirama which offered twice as much actual picture information per frame as CinemaScope in which Lady and the Tramp was filmed. It wasn't until I finally saw the film in widescreen on that CAV laserdisc box set displayed upthread that I managed to appreciate its amazing visual artistry of a kind you may likely never see again. Its disappointing initial box office performance compared to that same year's The Shaggy Dog had huge repercussions for the future of Disney and animation itself, even when Walt was still alive.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Don't tell me they left off GRAND CANYON SUITE again? That piece has always been a companion piece to SLEEPING BEAUTY. I believe they were originally shown together at the first release. And yeah, why isn't this going 4k this time? This is the umpteenth time it's been released and it seems to be missing more and more each time.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Don't tell me they left off GRAND CANYON SUITE again? That piece has always been a companion piece to SLEEPING BEAUTY. I believe they were originally shown together at the first release. And yeah, why isn't this going 4k this time? This is the umpteenth time it's been released and it seems to be missing more and more each time.
The original Blu-ray release also had The Peter Tchaikovsky Story, which was a Disney TV episode, and a very cool recreation of the original Sleeping Beauty walkthrough at Disneyland. Let's face it, the folks who are currently in charge of Disney Home Video aren't a patch on the folks who put together the releases during the last few years of Laserdisc up through the heyday of DVD and the early years of Blu-ray. Back then, Disney releases were often truly special. Anything we get now is either recycled (if they choose to still include it) or promotional fluff. Truly "special" features are limited these days to boutique labels.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The original Blu-ray release also had The Peter Tchaikovsky Story, which was a Disney TV episode, and a very cool recreation of the original Sleeping Beauty walkthrough at Disneyland. Let's face it, the folks who are currently in charge of Disney Home Video aren't a patch on the folks who put together the releases during the last few years of Laserdisc up through the heyday of DVD and the early years of Blu-ray. Back then, Disney releases were often truly special. Anything we get now is either recycled (if they choose to still include it) or promotional fluff. Truly "special" features are limited these days to boutique labels.
Yet another reason why my opinion of Disney has taken a big nosedive in recent years.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The back cover has been posted online, and if it’s anything to go by, it looks as though they’re dropping the original 4.0 sound mix, which would make one more reason not to pick this up. While the remix is pretty decent, there are too many discrepancies between it and the original mix (which is what I grew up hearing) to really like it such sound effects mistimed or missing and some cases alternate takes used on the music (the opening fanfare over the Buena Vista logo being the most obvious example). Here’s the back cover for those who are interested:

81fh5YJJw0L._SL1500_.jpg

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The back cover has been posted online, and if it’s anything to go by, it looks as though they’re dropping the original 4.0 sound mix, which would make one more reason not to pick this up. While the remix is pretty decent, there are too many discrepancies between it and the original mix (which is what I grew up hearing) to really like it such sound effects mistimed or missing and some cases alternate takes used on the music (the opening fanfare over the Buena Vista logo being the most obvious example). Here’s the back cover for those who are interested:

81fh5YJJw0L._SL1500_.jpg

With that long Movie Rewards spiel, that big ass bar code, and all the other crap about digital and iTunes; what's the point of even having a synopsis about the film and the technical information if it's going to be that short and that small?

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Another extra from the first blu-ray release that doesn't appear to be included is the virtual tour of the castle at Disneyland, which as a kid of 60s, was very nostalgic for me and I am so glad I have that first blu.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Another extra from the first blu-ray release that doesn't appear to be included is the virtual tour of the castle at Disneyland, which as a kid of 60s, was very nostalgic for me and I am so glad I have that first blu.

The walk-through attraction was is only on the 2003 Special Edition, here are all the extras that weren't included on the Diamond Edition. This is taken from blu-ray.com review.

The following is a list of missing extras, the vast majority of which were presented in high definition:
  • Cine-Explore In-Movie Experience: Featuring original concept art, production photos and other materials
  • Grand Canyon: Short film shown before Sleeping Beauty during its original theatrical release
  • Original Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough Attraction
  • History of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Attraction
  • Sequence 8: A closer look at a particularly difficult scene that was in production for 2 years
  • Sleeping Beauty Deleted Songs: "It Happens I Have A Picture," "Riddle Diddle," "Go To Sleep"
  • Sleeping Beauty Alternate Opening
  • Storyboard Sequences (SD): "The Fairies Put The Castle To Sleep," "The Capture Of The Prince"
  • Original Live-Action Reference Film Footage (SD)
  • The Peter Tchaikovsky Story: 49-minute dramatization
  • Four Artists Paint One Tree: Featuring Walt Peregoy, Josh Meador, Eyvind Earle and Marc Davis
  • Sleeping Beauty Art Galleries: Which featured hundreds of images
  • Publicity: Which housed three theatrical trailers
  • 4 BD Games: Dragon Encounter, Maleficent's Challenge, Briar Rose's Enchanted Dance, Fun with Language
  • Princess Fun Facts: Trivia Track
  • Music Video: Once Upon a Dream
  • Disney Song Selection Suite
  • Song Lyrics Subtitle Track

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Barring some bizarre event that Jungle Book escapes a Signature Release

Given Disney's predisposition to releasing things in large quantities of related titles, I would not be surprised at all if The Jungle Book Signature gets released the same day as The Lion King remake. Even if Jungle Signature ends up being Blu-ray only, it's a nice tie-in to give the Favreau version a warranted 4K upgrade on the same day as his Lion King and just makes sense within Disney's recent practices. (See: Maleficent gets a 4K upgrade on the same day as Sleeping Beauty Signature even though the latter is Blu-ray only.)

The other thing I have been wondering about is Beauty and the Beast. Disney's clear pattern with the Signature titles is that the more modern films (The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin) get 4K releases while the Walt-era films are reissued in 1080p Blu-ray only. That would suggest that eventually, Beauty and the Beast is owed a 4K release, because if it doesn't get one it would be the only modern Signature title lacking one. Its original Signature Collection Blu-ray double dip arrived in September 2016, which was about 11 months before Disney began 4K support with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 as their first title. So I don't think its omission means Disney doesn't believe a 4K version of that film would sell. I think it just means they weren't ready to support 4K at the time of that Signature release (which is probably also why The Lion King 4K release was later than its 1080p Signature counterpart -- Lion King Signature came out one week after Guardians 2, and I suspect they just weren't ready to put out a crown jewel title like that yet, but corrected that once they had had more experience releasing titles on the 4K format.)

However, if they are going to do a 4K release for Beauty and the Beast, it would be wise to do it sooner rather than later, because once Disney+ launches and begins getting adopted by consumers en masse, the market for such a release is bound to decrease. I spent $38 each on the 4K steelbooks for The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, which together is more money than one year of Disney+. So it would seem that giving Beauty and the Beast a 4K upgrade would be a smart thing to do sooner rather than later. (Presumably, if this does happen, the 2017 live-action version would be upgraded simultaneously, as it just barely missed getting 4K support on its original release two months or so before Guardians.)

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Was that how the sound was recorded? I know it premiered in 70mm and I thought 6-track sound - but that could have been derived from 4.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks