What's new

Slaxpoitation...a dozen black themed films surprisingly not on DVD (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
While it was great to see the Warner Archive releases of The Split, The Slams, Kenner and especially Tick...Tick...Tick-these films still fall pretty neatly into the blaxpoitation subgenre. But below are a bakers dozen of films that either by passed video altogether or havent made it to DVD that I'd like to see for their interesting stories, screenplays and acting.
If He Hollers ...Let Him Go saw life on video as "Dead Right". Its an interesting little movie that has a very interesting cast including Kevin McCarthy in probably the film that gave him a resurgence AFTER t 50s Invasion of the Body Snatchers. A unique drama.
The Lost Man: Universal released this thriller to theaters in perhaps Sidney Poitier's least known movie
Change of Mind: a fine scifi movie about mind swapping a black man/white man. Very well done . A thinking mans Watermelon Man.
The Man: James Earl Jones as the first black president. From Paramount but never on video.
Countdown to Kusini: I used to watch this exciting actioner on HBO all the time.
Never on video -from Columbia. But neither was Columbia's Thomasine and Bushrod until it hit Columbia Archives last year.
Part 2: Sounder: a sequel to a Best Picture nominee that was also an HBO staple that never made it to video.
Brothers: Warner Brothers never knew how to market this very good movie. In 1977 it released it to arthouses with a bold poster just showing a drawqing of 2 hands bound in chains without capitalizing on the superb acting of Bernie Casey and Vonette McKee. Not exactly a prison movie and not a blaxpoitation film -jusdt a fine , heartfelt drama.
Top of the Heap: a neglected classic.
Book of Numbers: a sort of The Sting-both released in 1973
Catch My Soul: a Godspell companion piece
Wild in the Sky: I'm very curious about this Dick Gautier written comedy that marked Brandon DeWilde's last movue. Never on video
Aaron Loves Angela: a poignant Romeo and Juliet like story.
Come Back Charleston Blue/Norman Is That You?: I count these very funny movies as one. Hopefully WB will get around to releasing them.

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Perry
I agree with you that Warner should release more blaxploitation movies. Cool Breeze has not been released as of yet. I hope they get to it soon. You forgot to mention several other titles listed below.
Sweet Jesus Preacher Man
The Hitter -(78)-Ron O Neal
Abby

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I changed Cool Breeze, it was The Split I was thinking of...thanks.
Yes-the films you mentioned are great-but I tried to think of movies that were not really exploitational. Each of the films above are not necessarilly black films -they are good stories that anyone could have played or stories that were adventures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks