What's new

SIRI / XM Prepare Merger Announcement (Feb. 19) (1 Viewer)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I am a lifetime subscriber as well and I don't think we'll have any issues. If anything, I think we make out in the deal.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I've been a subscriber to Sirius since it was part of my Dishnet subscription. Though I guess I only get the music channels. I have to admit I have been very underwelmed by the choices available. It seems to me that music takes very much a back seat to sports and talk on both these services. Sports and talk hold very little interest to me. I can hardly watch sports on TV and I find talk to be a bore at best (this is just my personal opinion, I know these services are popular with others out there)

Is it the opinion out there that this merger will allow for a consolidation of the music channels out there allowing for a greater variety of music stations with a more diverse chosie of genreas to choose from?

Brent T

Second Unit
I would imagine that Sirius/XM need to focus more on promoting talk and sports because of people using the Ipod and other personal music players as their choice for music. While music will always be a large part of the service its "Talk Talent" and sports that will attract most people to their product (at least in my opinion).

That being said I do believe they will over more music stations and more variety but I doubt enough to please the XM crowd who is use to a more diverse listening experience.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. The music is a nice bit, but the big incentive to pay isn't all music. In fact, the driving reasons to buy are all live-programming oriented. Whether it's access to better sports in areas that don't have it (NFL, MLB, NHL, etc.) or even access to live newsdesks (CNN, CNBC, Bloomberg, Fox, etc.) as well as exclusive on air talent.. those are the things they get to say: no one but us has X.

That's what helps push sales. A big advantage to both companies after the merger will be that much of their tiers are duplicated (CNN, ESPN, etc.) which can now be consolidated lowering their cost as averaged over the two. The royalty may be higher then either was paying individually, but significantly less then the cost the two were paying combined as seperate entities.

The more I think about how this whole thing will work out, the more convinced I become that once merged this becomes a much easier sell to consumers and will absolutely be a dominant force in some market sectors. By wrapping up all sports (NASCAR, NFL, MLB, NCAA Hoops Tournament, NBA, NHL, College Football) they become a "must own" for sports fans. At the same time, combined exclusive content agreements for talent... like Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, etc. appeal to that audience. Mix in combining agreements with two large rap studio houses (Snoop / Eminem) and porting over one-of-a-kind content both offer, and I could see a heck of an ad-campaign for "we've got it all.. and it's exclusive.."

I do expect prices to go up some. But I've always thought that. Hell, my cable bill has went up four times since SIRI last raised rates. If they stay under $19.90 or so, they've got me :)

Coressel

Supporting Actor

I don't understand what the FCC has to do with this. I thought satellite radio, like the internet, was out of the Fascist Communication Commission's jurisdiction? Or am I missing something?

:confused:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
While they don't regulate the day to day activities of these organizations, any time there is a merger or sell of communications signal, the FCC has input. That doesn't mean they have regulatory powers over what is said on the product.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

And that's because even though they don't have regulatory powers over content, they still regulate the purchasing/licensing/use of broadcast spectrum. No broadcast spectrum, no satellite radio.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I'm actually thinking about purchasing a lifetime subscription at this point now. How many "upgrades" is it good for?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You get 4 upgrades at $75 per. But if you are replacing a defective unit, they waive the $75.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks