What's new

Single season / narrow interest shows you want to see released but probably won't t se (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
MartinP. said:
I have just been watching COMBAT, Jeff. Really like it.

Do you like Twelve O'Clock High and/or Baa Baa Black Sheep aka The Black Sheep Squadron which would fit this thread?
Glad you like it
2elv0vc.jpg

I like 12 O'clock High as well and Black Sheep Sq. Wish we could see BSQ completed.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
cherisland said:
Would love to see the following single season shows officially released on DVD:
The Pruitt's Of Southampton/ The Phyllis Diller Show - 1966-1967 ABC with Phyllis Diller
Cliffhangers - 1979 NBC
Oh Madeline - 1883-1984 ABC Madeline Kahn
The Paul Lynde Show - 1972-1973 ABC Paul Lynde
Shirley - 1979-1980 NBC Shirley Jones, Peter Barton
Nutt House - 1989 NBC Cloris Leachman, Harvey Korman
Maybe It's Me - 2001-2003 WB Reagan Dale Neis, Andrew Walker, Julia Sweeney, Fred Willard
Spencer - 1984 NBC Chad Lowe
Shaping Up - 1984 ABC Leslie Nieson
Then Came You - 2000 ABC Colin Ferguson
Gloria - 1982-1983 CBS Sally Struthers, Burgess Meredith
Cher - 1975 CBS Cher
I actually recorded Spencer (along with It's Your Move) off air back in 84. It's a pretty good show

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
rmw650 said:
Ned and Stacey, Sanford Arms, 704 Hauser, Golden Palace to name a few.
Ned and Stacey has had a first season release, though, like Better Off Ted, never got its second/final season out there). It's very inexpensive (I've seen it at Big Lots, and it's really cheap on Amazon). Not the whole series, but better than nothing!

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Johnny Midnight, starring Edmond O'Brien, but will never happen because the theme tune is "The Lullaby of Broadway", so the music clearance for the theme would be the sticking point, but Joe Bushkin composed the underscores for all 39 episodes of the series otherwise. Musical supervision was by Stanley Wilson, because it was a Revue Studios production.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
The Feather and Father Gang w/ Stephanie Powers*Joe Forrester w/ Lloyd BridgesAccidental Family w/ Jerry Van Dyke*McKeever and the ColonelHot Off the Wire (aka the Jim Backus Show)The Trials of O'Brien w/ Peter Falk'Way Out w/ Roald Dahl

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Puttin' on the Hits would be a music clearance nightmare. I'd like to see it again cause YouTube clips are so sparse. Plus it ended with the full-length MCA-TV (I think only Bionic Six did the same), complete with the logo flipping away.

Jennifer Slept Here (though I have a bootleg of all the episodes)

AmeriCoupling (just so I can see the lost episodes and see if the show got better when they stopped copying the BBC ones)

Rude Dog and the Dweebs (sue me, I loved that cartoon)

Texas Wheelers (just to see that darn MTM variant at last!)

Did Learning the Ropes last beyond one season? SInce I am a wrestling fan, I'd like to see that just to see how corny it was (would WWE have a say in it, as the show featured Jim Crockett Promotions NWA footage?)

Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling (1 season or 2?)

Incredible Hulk animated series, 1982 (its cousins, Spider-Man '81 and Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends at least are/were on Netflix, but never the Hulk...why?)

The Ropers

Rollergames (syndie, 1989 or 1990)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but here are several single-season series (of probable narrow interest) that aren't in any way grail shows, but which I enjoyed and would buy if they were ever released. They're listed in no particular order.

Good & Evil - Susan Harris' early-90s attempt at another Soap-like series; ABC didn't give it very long before pulling it & not all of the episodes aired; starred Teri Garr.
The Powers That Be - Mentioned by others in this thread; a Norman Lear sitcom that should have been given more time to find an audience.
United States - Larry Gelbart dramedy on NBC in the early 80s with Beau Bridges & Helen Shaver; Trio aired several episodes a few years ago.
Women of the House - I'm certain I remember an announcement from a few years ago about a release for this Delta Burke sitcom, but it never materialized. While not great, most episodes were at least as good (and sometimes better) than the 1st season of Designing Women after Delta was fired.
E/R - I'm actually kind of surprised this sitcom hasn't been released considering the number of well-known people in the cast, including George Clooney. It also has a tie-in with The Jeffersons as Sherman Hemsley appeared as George in the one-hour pilot.
Filthy Rich - Before Designing Women, this is the sitcom that first brought Delta, Dixie Carter, and Linda Bloodworth Thomason together.
All About the Andersons - One of the few WB sitcoms I liked...so naturally it only lasted a year. It starred Anthony Anderson, John Amos, and Roz Ryan.
Goode Behavior - This was a UPN sitcom with Sherman Hemsley and directed by Jack Shea, who directed the early seasons of The Jeffersons.
Bagdad Cafe - CBS adaptation with Jean Stapleton and Whoopi Goldberg.
Goodnight Beantown - Sitcom with Bill Bixby and Mariette Hartley as TV news co-anchors.
Eisenhower and Lutz - Sitcom with Scott Bakula as an attorney. Patricia Richardson co-starred.
The 5 Mrs. Buchanans - Sitcom with Eileen Heckart and Judith Ivey.
The Cavanaughs - Technically this ran for 2 seasons, but both were really only partial seasons so I'm including it. CBS sitcom starring Barnard Hughes and Christine Ebersole.
Mr. President - This too had 2 partial seasons. It was an early Fox sitcom starring George C Scott. (I recall not likng the 2nd partial season because it had such a major change in tone from the 1st season. But I'd like to see the whole thing again and this time, knowing what to expect, maybe I'd like the 2nd season a bit more.)
Snoops - Tim Reid and Daphne Maxwell Reid as husband-and-wife crime solvers.
Jack's Place - A light drama set in a restaurant; with Hal Linden and Finola Hughes.
Blacke's Magic - Hal Linden as a crime solving magician. (I know that description may sound lame, but it really was a fun show.) Harry Morgan co-starred.
Orleans - Larry Hagman as a New Orleans judge.

And below are some one-season shows I've never seen but would blind buy based on the people involved:

The Good Life - Sitcom with Larry Hagman and Donna Mills (pre-Dallas/Knots).
Here We Go Again - Another Larry Hagman series between Jeannie and Dallas that I've never seen but am curious about.
Hot L Baltimore - This was one of Norman Lear's few 70s shows that wasn't successful, and I've been wanting to try it.
Hot Off the Wire - A Jim Backus sitcom that sounds like it could be good.
Tightrope - From what I've read, this pre-Mannix Mike Connors series sounds very interesting.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Had completely forgotten about MADELINE! and POWERS THAT BE and WOMAN OF THE HOUSE.

Really enjoyed all of these and would pick em up in a heartbeat!

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Dave Lawrence said:
I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but here are several single-season series (of probable narrow interest) that aren't in any way grail shows, but which I enjoyed and would buy if they were ever released. They're listed in no particular order.

Good & Evil - Susan Harris' early-90s attempt at another Soap-like series; ABC didn't give it very long before pulling it & not all of the episodes aired; starred Teri Garr.
The Powers That Be - Mentioned by others in this thread; a Norman Lear sitcom that should have been given more time to find an audience.
United States - Larry Gelbart dramedy on NBC in the early 80s with Beau Bridges & Helen Shaver; Trio aired several episodes a few years ago.
Women of the House - I'm certain I remember an announcement from a few years ago about a release for this Delta Burke sitcom, but it never materialized. While not great, most episodes were at least as good (and sometimes better) than the 1st season of Designing Women after Delta was fired.
E/R - I'm actually kind of surprised this sitcom hasn't been released considering the number of well-known people in the cast, including George Clooney. It also has a tie-in with The Jeffersons as Sherman Hemsley appeared as George in the one-hour pilot.
Filthy Rich - Before Designing Women, this is the sitcom that first brought Delta, Dixie Carter, and Linda Bloodworth Thomason together.
All About the Andersons - One of the few WB sitcoms I liked...so naturally it only lasted a year. It starred Anthony Anderson, John Amos, and Roz Ryan.
Goode Behavior - This was a UPN sitcom with Sherman Hemsley and directed by Jack Shea, who directed the early seasons of The Jeffersons.
Bagdad Cafe - CBS adaptation with Jean Stapleton and Whoopi Goldberg.
Goodnight Beantown - Sitcom with Bill Bixby and Mariette Hartley as TV news co-anchors.
Eisenhower and Lutz - Sitcom with Scott Bakula as an attorney. Patricia Richardson co-starred.
The 5 Mrs. Buchanans - Sitcom with Eileen Heckart and Judith Ivey.
The Cavanaughs - Technically this ran for 2 seasons, but both were really only partial seasons so I'm including it. CBS sitcom starring Barnard Hughes and Christine Ebersole.
Mr. President - This too had 2 partial seasons. It was an early Fox sitcom starring George C Scott. (I recall not likng the 2nd partial season because it had such a major change in tone from the 1st season. But I'd like to see the whole thing again and this time, knowing what to expect, maybe I'd like the 2nd season a bit more.)
Snoops - Tim Reid and Daphne Maxwell Reid as husband-and-wife crime solvers.
Jack's Place - A light drama set in a restaurant; with Hal Linden and Finola Hughes.
Blacke's Magic - Hal Linden as a crime solving magician. (I know that description may sound lame, but it really was a fun show.) Harry Morgan co-starred.
Orleans - Larry Hagman as a New Orleans judge.

And below are some one-season shows I've never seen but would blind buy based on the people involved:

The Good Life - Sitcom with Larry Hagman and Donna Mills (pre-Dallas/Knots).
Here We Go Again - Another Larry Hagman series between Jeannie and Dallas that I've never seen but am curious about.
Hot L Baltimore - This was one of Norman Lear's few 70s shows that wasn't successful, and I've been wanting to try it.
Hot Off the Wire - A Jim Backus sitcom that sounds like it could be good.
Tightrope - From what I've read, this pre-Mannix Mike Connors series sounds very interesting.
Tightrope is really a wonderful show. It's comparable to another show of that era, Richard Diamond. I have copies of all the eps but most are average to below average quality.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Another vote for Hot L Baltimore, Jennifer Slept Here, She's the Sheriff, The Powers That Be and Pruitts of Southampton.

Also Delta, It Takes Two, The Office (1995 sitcom with Valerie Harper and Debra Jo Rupp ("Kitty" on That '70s Show).

I scored a bootleg set last year of The 5 Mrs. Buchanans which was made from the Fox masters.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Almost every show we listed will probably have to obtained via "alternate" sources. Anything is out there if you look hard enough.

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
dan august
a man called Sloane
longstreet
mcclains law
flying high
strike force'
hagen
mr merlin'
making a living
I'm a big girl now
harper valley PTA
bronk
the blue knight, George kennedy version
when things were rotten
the magician
serpico
don adams screen test
nero wolfe

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
AndyMcKinney said:
One I had forgotten (and I'm sure others have): The Phoenix.
I second that title. Also one I forgot, The Powers of Matthew Star.

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
I think a more complete and professional collection of Betty White's early sitcom work -- i.e. all the remaining LIFE WITH ELIZABETH episodes plus the entire DATE WITH THE ANGELS in a restored set with interviews with Ms. White would be a nice honor for her and a treat for her fans.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
AndyMcKinney said:
Now, if only someone would leak Beane's of Boston...
Now that I really want, Charlotte Rae and John Hillerman. I want the Australian one too and Come Back Mrs Noah as well. Another British series that may be of some interest in Up Pompeii which satrs Frankie Howerd, it is continuation of A Funny Thing Happenedon the Way to the Forum. Much needed for some US exposure and I would go with Cliff hangers as well but also:

Probe
Phoenix
The Others
The Outlaws
Just the 10 of Us
Quest
Strange Luck
Nightmare Cafe
Johnny Bago
Maximum Bob
Grand
Nearly Departed
Free Spirit
The Charmings
Working
Square One
Spider-Woman
The Girl with Something Extra

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Two television series starring Ernest Borgnine twenty years apart -- Future Cop and The Single Guy.

Also some series that only lasted half a season -- The Tim Conway Show starring Tim Conway and Joe Flynn as well as The Bob Crane Show -- one that will certainly get a video release one way or another is Life with Lucy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks